Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Too wet to play work outside today so I am having a running session. As I type a Leeds via Doncaster DMU service is heading to its destination and a Sulzer type 2 is hauling some ex LMS coaches on the stopper to Halifax. :locomotive: :locomotive:

The Elliott sisters are providing the entertainment.

• Like 3

Nah, you just need a small UPS. If it can keep a PC running for an hour then it should have no issue with the much smaller loading of a model railway + soldering iron...

Regards, ...... Map...

Alternatively, you could use one of these;

1233008577988863592.jpg

A drop of pop and a banana skin will really make things fly.

• Like 1

I had a really enjoyable operating session last night, even with loads of operator errors. With more loco hauled trains the layout takes on a different personality, it is excellent.

And a good choice of Music for once, NICE.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Now that has given me an idea, park the car so the headlights shine through the window so I can see, and a set of jumper leads through the window to power the layout. Problem solved. :declare:

Couldn't do that with DCC.

For DCC just connect into the alternator circuit before the diodes!

MIke.

• RMweb Premium

Tonight saw the last trains from this operating round, started on Tuesday, run. I operate for 1 to 2 hours at a time, so lots of short spells. Each train has a run of 6 or so laps which take on average a minute each, some are running longer than that, especially when I am sorting out the music or replying on here. I miss calculated how many moves but for each fiddle yard siding to be emptied and then refilled there are 36 moves plus the engine moves in the station area. A minimum of 216 laps per session, I don't think that is too bad.

Our intrepid photographer was lineside to record the arrival of the last two trains. 

post-16423-0-95072500-1541196965_thumb.jpg

Entering the throat

post-16423-0-85446600-1541196979_thumb.jpg

Passing the loco yards

post-16423-0-66673100-1541196992_thumb.jpg

The signal man is checking the lamps, especially looking out for (missing) the tail lamps.

post-16423-0-13646600-1541197003_thumb.jpg

Passengers are opening the window so they can open the doors as the trains stop at the platforms.

post-16423-0-17479800-1541197018_thumb.jpg

The DMU is on platform 4 and the class 4's train on platform 6.

post-16423-0-48076800-1541197029_thumb.jpg

Last shot before our photographer went home for tea. The platform ends.

He left the station before the last departures of this session......well wot I mean like, is I forgot to photo the trains as I was busy sorting out the steam loco yard which is almost at full capacity.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Why do locos return to a loco shed after their duties, steam and diesel. I know it so trainspotters can get loads of numbers in one place but is there other reasons? Like replenishing their fuel, be it coal or diesel? I ask this because two layouts at a recent show seemed to lack these basic facilities. The one using liquid fossils had a some storage containers but the tank wagons bringing in the fuel were bigger than the tanks that fuel was to be pumped into. The other one using solid fossils appeared not to have a coaling stage.

I suppose that is the beauty of having electric motors in our toy trains we don't need to worry about how they will be powered.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Why do locos return to a loco shed after their duties, steam and diesel. I know it so trainspotters can get loads of numbers in one place but is there other reasons? Like replenishing their fuel, be it coal or diesel? I ask this because two layouts at a recent show seemed to lack these basic facilities. The one using liquid fossils had a some storage containers but the tank wagons bringing in the fuel were bigger than the tanks that fuel was to be pumped into. The other one using solid fossils appeared not to have a coaling stage.

I suppose that is the beauty of having electric motors in our toy trains we don't need to worry about how they will be powered.

...until you get a power cut...

• RMweb Gold

The big railway has a set of diagrams for locos just the same as our model sequences. Servicing, crew signing on, maintenance etc., built in. You would have to have a loco of the right type at point A when required; I guess the rest of it is habit and convenience that loco XYZX ends up back at its home depot at the end of a diagram. However, if there wasn't some form of back to base logic to it you could end with all the locos in one location. The diagrams I know can be complex one's with modern traction. 

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I was being very brave and tried simultaneous trains arriving and departing. It is quite hard as the trains are going in opposite directions. I did have a few operator problems, like not switching a section on and wondering why the train had stopped. But no crashes. So with a bit more practice I should be able to master this. 

Now a downer, my class L1 started to derail on the Manchester Junction diamond. I could readily see what was going wrong as it has not done this before. So out with the back to back gauge. I went to put on the front pony wheel set, it appear tight as I put a we bit of pressure on. B A N G the pony truck disintegrated. I don't think the B to B gauge caused the problem I think it had already gone PHUT. It is made from that lovely alloy Mazak. It is in five bits. I have contacted Hornby to see if they can provide a replacement. Peter's Spares have two green ones in stock. 

• RMweb Premium

The big railway has a set of diagrams for locos just the same as our model sequences. Servicing, crew signing on, maintenance etc., built in. You would have to have a loco of the right type at point A when required; I guess the rest of it is habit and convenience that loco XYZX ends up back at its home depot at the end of a diagram. However, if there wasn't some form of back to base logic to it you could end with all the locos in one location. The diagrams I know can be complex one's with modern traction. 

Hi John

I understand about diagramming locos so they are at the right place at the right time, and that includes when they need to be refueled, be it diesel or coal.

It was just I couldn't see a coaling stage, tower, or even one them coalers the LNER used on what was a depot layout with what looked like 30 plus steam locos on shed.  The other one had storage tanks for diesel which were smaller than the tank wagons delivering the fuel. Quart in pint pot came to mind.

post-16423-0-17552200-1541368807_thumb.jpg

One them LNER coalers built for a diesel depot.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I understand about diagramming locos so they are at the right place at the right time, and that includes when they need to be refueled, be it diesel or coal.

It was just I couldn't see a coaling stage, tower, or even one them coalers the LNER used on what was a depot layout with what looked like 30 plus steam locos on shed. The other one had storage tanks for diesel which were smaller than the tank wagons delivering the fuel. Quart in pint pot came to mind.

attachicon.gif037.JPG

One them LNER coalers built for a diesel depot.

Evening typing when tired, was surprised but now see I'd misread your post. Duh!

I think one snag with some layouts is people model without looking at what they are trying to do. Your example is just one. The one I notice often is European and US style buildings on U.K. layouts. They see a Faller, Kibri or Walthers kit for industry X but don't spot the architectural differences. The physical modelling may be ace but the conceptual modelling has let them down.

Re fuel. I need to find the right book, not easy in my muddled library, but I have a memory (possibly wrong) from seeing in videos that the Ferry Terminal at Weymouth had a three tank wagon delivery but that looked bigger than the storage tanks. Not sure if it was piped to a further underground tank. Some one else may well prove this memory is wrong. May take a day or two but will look up my Weymouth tramway books to seek more info'

Edit: (1) I'm probably wrong re the fuel. I think I may be confusing loco fuel at the Quay with tank wagon deliveries of bunkering for the ferries. By the time I had work involvement with Harbour management the regular trains had stopped and bunkering fuel came by barge from Southampton.

(2) Cracking model of the coal wagon tippler.

Can't find the relevant book. This photo though (not mine so just a link pasted) http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/2220874_orig.jpg shows a train of rail tanks and in the foreground the static tanks. The train capacity always looked bigger than the static.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I was being very brave and tried simultaneous trains arriving and departing. It is quite hard as the trains are going in opposite directions. I did have a few operator problems, like not switching a section on and wondering why the train had stopped. But no crashes. So with a bit more practice I should be able to master this. 

Now a downer, my class L1 started to derail on the Manchester Junction diamond. I could readily see what was going wrong as it has not done this before. So out with the back to back gauge. I went to put on the front pony wheel set, it appear tight as I put a we bit of pressure on. B A N G the pony truck disintegrated. I don't think the B to B gauge caused the problem I think it had already gone PHUT. It is made from that lovely alloy Mazak. It is in five bits. I have contacted Hornby to see if they can provide a replacement. Peter's Spares have two green ones in stock. 

Oh dear Clive, bad news re. the Li's pony truck - I have three of these, off upstairs now to check!

Which L1 model is it?  Somebody has mentioned the "rear bogie" of 67759 on the Mazak Rot List thread, but not the pony truck.  This is the one which was factory weathered, and the one which I modified to have a "correct" pivot for the pony truck by cutting the curved guides off and attaching a swing arm; it would be a shame to have to do it all again!  I presume with the 'green' ones, it's only the wheels that are green.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear Clive, bad news re. the Li's pony truck - I have three of these, off upstairs now to check!

Which L1 model is it?  Somebody has mentioned the "rear bogie" of 67759 on the Mazak Rot List thread, but not the pony truck.  This is the one which was factory weathered, and the one which I modified to have a "correct" pivot for the pony truck by cutting the curved guides off and attaching a swing arm; it would be a shame to have to do it all again!  I presume with the 'green' ones, it's only the wheels that are green.

Hi Steve

Factory weathered.

The green ones it is only the wheels. I have some black paint and a plan.

I am just waiting for Hornby's response, if they cannot supply one then I will order from Peter's Spares. I am prepared to pay for one from Hornby. It is something that has happened. I am not out on a witch hunt I would just like a L1 that works.

• Like 1