Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Bring the split gear with you on Friday. I've got a few which I'll bring and if there is an identical one then you are welcome to it.

I've never tried repairing split gears. The split will end between two teeth meaning they are further apart, affecting the running. The hole in the gear would need easing to allow a sliding fit on the axle and the split clamped to close it before you pinned it.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks. My bodge with super glue has ended up with the teeth either side of the split being slightly wider and makes a knocking sound when moving, but it is moving. Until I repaired it the spindle was whizzing around and the gear staying still because it wasn't gripping the spindle. Therefore the loco stood still.

Bob (81C) bless him is sending me a knackered chassis with a different problem. I will see if I can get a good one out of the pair. We can still have a butchers at your collection of gears on Monday night as well, I will bring my Stanier loco with me. 

The clamping might bend the teeth as they are made out of nylon and perhaps a little soft.

Is there a brass alternative which could be substituted and lead to a more reliable mechanism?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Actually the nylon is quite hard with good wearing resistance, hence its use for gears. Maybe the plastic 'mix' for the gears was slightly wrong for the earlier gears as more recent locos don't seem to have been affected. Moulding the gears is probably a cheaper process than machining brass ones.

The brass worms fitted to the models do suffer wear if they get used frequently. Steel worms would be the best choice but machining cost would go against it.

As mentioned, I've not tried Clive's proposal but if I were to I would proceed cautiously using a self grip 'Mole' type wrench. With card to protect the teeth the wrench is adjusted to just close the split, if set correctly the split line will virtually disappear.

Hi Clive, just seen your reply, you can practice this on the old gear even if you don't need it.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I have had a couple of short running sessions today and apart from the four sticky points which I still need to sort out and the fast bald bloke causing trouble there was only two new problems. Well one was an old one that needed to be fixed. First of them was a coach jumping off the track either on the bridge joint or the point on the bridge. I rerailed it and off it went and would not jump off while I was looking at it, so why did it do it? The other was an occasional derailment off two Gresley full brakes, one is a Kirk Kit shortie and the other a Hornby one. I thought it might be the Kirk Kit, wrong it is the Hornby one and very simple the back to backs of the wheels were set for TT gauge so it seemed. All hunky dory now. 

A pop song from way back which I use to like.

• RMweb Premium

Genesis are OK until the grammar school boy took over singing after Peter Gabriel left.

Nothing wrong with grammar school boys........

I may be one of them but I can't sing and I can't dance either (can you tell where this is going?)

Or you could try this version,

Meanwhile back on a railway theme. A superb tune about the navvies building the railways. I may have been at this concert.

"With picks and with spades and a new kind of order"

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

Meanwhile back on a railway theme. A superb tune about the navvies building the railways. I may have been at this concert.

You beat me to it, :)  I was about to post DTLS because of the railway theme, trying to keep on topic , probably the best track on 'We Can't Dance'!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I may be one of them but I can't sing and I can't dance either (can you tell where this is going?)

Or you could try this version,

Hi Mick

All the others went to a posh school named after 30903. Buster Collins was a grammar school boy.

Who he?

Of the many epithets which could be bestowed upon Clive, I don't think fast is one of them!

MIke.

I was at one time in my life. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Now some proper Genesis music

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I done something just now that I haven't tried before. The tracks between the station and Doncaster Junction are wired so I can reverse the polarity and up today I have stopped the trains and then flicked the switches on the controller and control panel, all sedate and controlled. Tonight I was running a DMU (the Leeds limited stop) into the station and I dared myself to not stop the train but try and flick both switches at the same time hopefully the train would carry on..........................it did. :good: :good:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The late Chris Squire of Yes went to the same school as I did.

Oi UDJ

This thread is a Yes free zone.......or I will send around the only famous person from my school, who now lives in Australia to sort you out.  Wikipedia misses out he worked in the stockroom in Woolies before he turned pro, my dad was his boss. Morty senior let Joe lean on his broom thinking about boxing, my dad had some sensible ideas at the right time.

He had left the school by the time I went to it but quite a few of my friends who had older brothers and sisters said if he was interested in what the teacher was saying and others where making a noise we would stand up and tell them to shut up. No one argued with him. :dontknow: :blackeye:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I done something just now that I haven't tried before. The tracks between the station and Doncaster Junction are wired so I can reverse the polarity and up today I have stopped the trains and then flicked the switches on the controller and control panel, all sedate and controlled. Tonight I was running a DMU (the Leeds limited stop) into the station and I dared myself to not stop the train but try and flick both switches at the same time hopefully the train would carry on..........................it did. :good: :good:

Refrains from mentioning that DCC can automatically reverse polarity.............

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No running or modelling today on Exchange. I have been busy looking for information on early colour light signals and how to apply them in model form. I have had quite a few ideas but none are concrete plans as yet so don't expect miracles.

Oi UDJ

This thread is a Yes free zone.......

But, but what about The Yes Album , Fragile, Close to the Edge and Tales of a  ..........................................okay perhaps you've got a point! How about a bit of Budgie?

Edited by Ian_H
  • Like 2