Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I had a visitation from Map AKA Satan's Goldfish today. We had a blue peak with some Reggie Rail coaches, an HST, an A4 with Pullmans, and a steel train pulled by class 20s in some odd liveries.

Loads of operator errors but at times we got things right. The best part we enjoyed the day. 

Map even took some moving pictures which I hope he can show us on his 8mm cine projector.

That was much more restrained than the start of my write up...

Big thank you to Morty for letting me play with bog-carts today...... ;)

Fun day at Sheffield Exchange, with visits from a streak, a tram, the wrong transpennine stock, and a rare freight service. Along with lots of native stock, soon very much lost track of time! But we did manage 4 simultaneous arrival/departure moves at the station :)

pics and videos as standard!

20190316_104704.jpg.f4c9664c7ba64c8613e18404e46ca856.jpg

20190316_114733.jpg.fe3fee99a014ad33c06e159c53e8734e.jpg

A first for the Exchange: a HST! Morty was  really quite taken with watching it romp around the railway room ;) however as it was an unused Ebay purchase from a few years back it needed a clean up first... 

20190316_105438.jpg.e3ac9b225e495480c6b4427809ef483f.jpg

20190316_115232.jpg.eaede88e25174b1aa265f5e064424a0c.jpg

20190316_123202.jpg.a516218ae0067b59ed15a2b15b44051d.jpg

20s on steel...

More to follow...

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr Goldfish's HST did need a bit of a clean, it wouldn't run to start with the wheels were that dirty. As for the dead spider in the power car.

At times the A4 ran with its driving wheel brakes fully on and the valve gear stationary. Things did improve.

I need to do something with the rubbish around the room so the pictures look a wee bit better. And do something with that belly. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

'Orse stuff is tommora.

You mean like today, oh it's almost 04.30am, must stop watching the excellent Videos and go back to bed and dream of building another BIG 4mm roundy roundy layout.

Great pics and Vids Satan / MAP.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

BTW I didn't hear MUCH / ANY brumming and chufffffffffffffffffffffffffing in the Videos.:D

Brumming and Chuffing are an optional extra, found on the delux model which may be beyond sir's price range.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

Thnks to Satan’s Goldfish for those excellent videos.

Sir has a most impressive set-up there. How long has it taken you to get this fr with iit?

Tim T

Hi Tim

The baseboards were up 15 months ago. First train running was the beginning April last year. I am about 18 months into a 10 year build from when I started detail planning. 

Paper railway 19th October 2017

100_4628a.jpg.95ba93f23fe6710cb8564c234cccdabb.jpg

Baseboards 9th January 2018

100_4678a.jpg.71e746a411196acba8572e939495fff2.jpg

Running  3rd April 2018

100_4777.JPG.535699b46b210146d306502e6061ba17.JPG

There is still more to do including perfecting operating it, building the stock and doing the scenery.

The journey started back in November 1970 after reading Derek Shore's article on his layout Avondale, Waterford and Creston and me saying "I want a model railway like that". Same edition had a feature on Mike Cole's scratchbuilt diesels, someone modelling the railway I was trainspotting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Matt, they look good. Except the one with the fat bald bloke in it.

Second photo shows Pig Lane (Western Region) which will be the star attraction at this years Ally Pally. If attending please do come and say hello.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Matt, they look good. Except the one with the fat bald bloke in it.

Second photo shows Pig Lane (Western Region) which will be the star attraction at this years Ally Pally. If attending please do come and say hello.  

I didn't think I'd got any pictures of myself there... ;)

Cheers again for a great day Clive, it's a brilliant layout to operate and have a good chat. Of course, following your revelation about the egg banjo, are there any other terms I need to clarify for you?!

I've had a count up and I've 16 suitable items to run with your big green Brush next time...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I didn't think I'd got any pictures of myself there... ;)

Cheers again for a great day Clive, it's a brilliant layout to operate and have a good chat. Of course, following your revelation about the egg banjo, are there any other terms I need to clarify for you?!

I've had a count up and I've 16 suitable items to run with your big green Brush next time...

Would that be HAIR BRUSH?:nono::yahoo::laugh::good:

Hi Clive,

I enjoyed the photos and movies of Sheffield Exchange. Many of us have that scenery (clutter) you mentioned, as others have noted we went out to see the railway not the countryside. The HST must have bought back memories, though it didn't look as fast as Mr F's were. Noting your positioning by the layout the station throat could be named 'Belly Isle'. Skilful camera use in a later shot showed neither 'fat' or 'bald' so perhaps you won't have to. 

I see Pig Lane, low level?. We will be along on Sunday via the Colchester charabang to see you performing with the layout at normal height we hope.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Enjoying the close up's of the terminus, but are we going to see a 'Dirty Great arched Roof' at any time ??

manna

Hi Terry

No. Overall roofs are boring to look at, they can look impressive for a few moments then.....boring. They are a lot of modelling and they get in the way visually and physically. I want to see the trains, and I need to get at the trains, uncoupling, and if need be re-railing. I will be modelling the side walls with the various offices, refreshment room, toilets etc along with the roof supports. The middle platform will have the pillars supporting the roof. I want to try and place the viewer in the station not make them into a pigeon looking for somewhere to perch.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jimwal said:

Hi Clive,

I enjoyed the photos and movies of Sheffield Exchange. Many of us have that scenery (clutter) you mentioned, as others have noted we went out to see the railway not the countryside. The HST must have bought back memories, though it didn't look as fast as Mr F's were. Noting your positioning by the layout the station throat could be named 'Belly Isle'. Skilful camera use in a later shot showed neither 'fat' or 'bald' so perhaps you won't have to. 

I see Pig Lane, low level?. We will be along on Sunday via the Colchester charabang to see you performing with the layout at normal height we hope.

Hi Jim

The HST wasn't as fast as Mike's "Trigger's broom". Mike still has the HST, with new coaches in a new livery and replacement power cars but is still the original HST.

Pig Lane is table top height as to be interactive with children. Plus I can sit down all day operating it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

Pig Lane is table top height as to be interactive with children. Plus I can sit down all day operating it.

And nod off in the quieter moments no doubt.:P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2019 at 09:47, Clive Mortimore said:

I am about 18 months into a 10 year build from when I started detail planning. 

Hi

I hope its not the same 10 year timetable I'm working to.

I started in 2002 and 17 years later it hasn't progressed very far.

Cheers

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1