Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I hope its not the same 10 year timetable I'm working to.

I started in 2002 and 17 years later it hasn't progressed very far.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

Two points of order.

One. Your layout is very good.

Two. Not sure if I have another 17 years modelling left in me, I hope so but can not be too sure.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Since returning from that there London village there has been no activity on Sheffield Exchange as I have been very busy in the paddock and now we her brother coming to stay for a few days. And I thought I retired to have time for my hobby.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

I have been let off paddock duties today so I am hiding in the toy train room. As I type I have a two car class 111 making its way from Doncaster and a four car class 104 coupled to a four car class 101 on a York to Sheffield via Leeds. 

At the same time the Interrupters are serenading me, 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No running for the past two days. Last night out with the family, our eldest's birthday meal. I managed to get Madras curry down my shirt. 

Tonight I was model making. I was doing the removal of unwanted bits and bobs from a class 25/1 or 25/2 (both had the same body, well not all the 25/2s did but what ever) to make a class 25/0. I could have waited for a Sutton 24/1 (with headcode box) or a Bachmann 24/1 (with headcode box)  and filed off the boiler stuff on the roof and taken the water tank off. Or I could have added a headcode box to a Sutton 24 or Bachmann 24 and done the same things with boiler and water tank along with altering the front. Or sourced a MTK class 24 kit as that came with alternate fronts and then done the same thing with the boiler and water tank. Or put out a plea for a Brassmasters class 24/1 or 25/0 cab roof and converted a Bachmann class 24. Or scratchbuild one. NO I have been busy chopping a Hornby class 25 1/ or class 25/2 body.

Photos tomorrow if I can be bothered.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Obviously the time in the cupboard has fuddled the Brain, :yes:why not just pretend it's the right one, like you do with the various different Brummmm Brummmm noises, just hold your nose, or blow through a hankie for different sounds and pretend it looks right.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2019 at 08:29, Andrew P said:

Obviously the time in the cupboard has fuddled the Brain, :yes:why not just pretend it's the right one, like you do with the various different Brummmm Brummmm noises, just hold your nose, or blow through a hankie for different sounds and pretend it looks right.:rolleyes:

No cos I enjoy making things.

I might be posting far less on here as I do not like the idea of a two tier system where some RMwebbers are more equal than others and now wear a gold badge and have a gold coloured boarder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I might be posting far less on here as I do not like the idea of a two tier system where some RMwebbers are more equal than others and now wear a gold badge and have a gold coloured boarder.

At least we will know who to doff our cap to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Come on Clive, they're paying for BRM Digital, not to use the site.

The colour on this site comes from people like yourself and other modellers who share their knowledge and modelling not from paying a premium to see the same stuff but with a gold border.

I've taken a back step on all sorts of online social media as it does my head no good whatsoever, but RMweb still manages to keep my attention and I doubt that will change because some people are paying to access the same pages as those who have not paid.

Some people are members of the Bachmann club, they get to wave a pass and look at new models in development at some exhibitions, do I feel I second class or that I am missing out on something, not at all.

I appreciate you've seen what this does on other forums, but rather than build an expectation in your head that it will happen here too, wait and see, if it does then I don't think you will be the only person who votes by logging off.  I think Andy Y still wants the essence of what was his baby, why would he want to oversee something that would end this site.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

That would be a loss for all of us if you shared less of your work, and more importantly, musical taste!... and worst of all, it may increase the frequency of my visits ;)

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Come on Clive, they're paying for BRM Digital, not to use the site.

Really???

I quote from the first post on the gold membership thread;

Steve and I have been working on this for quite some time and we're now proud to launch a new premium membership level to RMweb!

Mike.

That's 3 of us on the naughty step!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Missing words.
  • Like 1

I enjoy wallowing in the pit of human misery as much as the next man, if I see a thread is locked I'm straight into reading it to see at what point teddies get thrown, so the 'Gold' thread is a very entertaining read for the sadistic side of me. There is nothing constructive I can add to that thread so I'm not going to comment on it. Apart from financially supporting the site, there's nothing I feel I would gain by being a Gold Member (cue line about 'an unfortunate smelting accident') as the perks on offer aren't something I currently indulge in. 

However, having been a member of many things over the years, one of the reasons RMWeb is something I've stuck with the longest is because in general it is filled with good like minded people and doesn't descend into complete anarchy. Sometimes I think Andy and the mods have the patients of saints, but in general their time seems to be taken up with technical issues and moving threads to the correct areas rather than having to mediate with complete ###### mongtards which inflict so many other social media platforms.

With all that in mind, this is the last place I'm actually expecting to see elitism appear because of the introduction of a tier system, despite how prevalent it can be in other areas of life and work. Here, members seem to be judged more on their informative offerings to the community instead, and new/lower level participants are generally encouraged rather than belittled, and hopefully even with gold borders that trend continues... lets just not talk about DC/DCC ;)

I hope I'm not wrong, but feel free to point and laugh if I am. I'm looking forward to seeing much more from Sheffield Exchange as it continues to develop.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1