Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mr Head

It has been discussed in the past, It would look great but there would be a lot of repetitive modelling which will block the view of the interior and access to the trains. The supports for the roof will be in place but not the roof itself. Hopefully when I have built the station those viewing will feel they are in the station not on the outside.

You could build the roof and put it on for photos then take it off when you are playing trains.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

You could build the roof and put it on for photos then take it off when you are playing trains.

Storage could be a issue... unless it's hung from cables that can winch it up to the ceiling for operating sessions ;) 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Storage could be a issue... unless it's hung from cables that can winch it up to the ceiling for operating sessions ;) 

I was thinking how would I manoeuvre something delicate which would be 5 ft by 3 ft 6 ins.

Hanging from the ceiling would mean moving the lights above the station end, which would men moving the insulation in the loft, which would require planning permission from Mrs M and I don't like the words "No you can't". :cry:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Don't forget such stations usually also had undercrofts, so it needs a couple of wagon hoists, foundations and lower level tracks.

So you'd be hanging the whole layout from the ceiling - a proper dad style layout from the 70s where it needed parking out of the way in between running sessions.

• Funny 1

50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was thinking how would I manoeuvre something delicate which would be 5 ft by 3 ft 6 ins.

Hanging from the ceiling would mean moving the lights above the station end, which would men moving the insulation in the loft, which would require planning permission from Mrs M and I don't like the words "No you can't". :cry:

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Agh great the ageing Punk has returned, and with a vengeance, some really fascinating pics with L O A D S of atmosphere, very nice matey.:good:

Like my threads, not many Gold Medallions visiting yet.:cry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Agh great the ageing Punk has returned, and with a vengeance, some really fascinating pics with L O A D S of atmosphere, very nice matey.:good:

Like my threads, not many Gold Medallions visiting yet.:cry:

You know what to do old chap, rake around in the bottom of your pants draw and find that one you use to wear at all those discos you pretended to dance at.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hang about you lot......thanks for the ideas of what to do with the roof but who's (not) going to be making it?

I'm happy to not make your roof.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Mike can now turn his attention to the two locos that brought the trains to Exchange station.

100_5744a.jpg.f1334fad3f7e37cdd2b82a29f01b9cd9.jpg

The drivers of the N2 and Type 2 wait patiently for the signals to be cleared so they can make their way to their respective loco yards. 

100_5745a.jpg.1a68c3864837dcc04b94e897f1d57def.jpg

As they are heading  to different yards and by luck there is not a conflicting movement Mike is able to signal both to move to the reversing shunt signals (just imaging the one in front of the diesel) at teh same time. I had four moving objects on my layout, not bad for a one man effort on a DC layout.

The Sulzer was able to be parked in a suitable siding straight away but 69543 had to be left on the steam yard headshunt while other locos were repositioned before it could be under the coaler.

Those steam locos are immaculately clean, especially the Standard class 4 tank and the N2. With locos sparkling like that (even the wheels) , are we to conclude that Sheffield Exchange has been transferred to the Western Region or have they just bought a job lot of elbow grease from Swindon ?

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

First move was to shift a Fowler tank and turn it as well.

100_5746a.jpg.03d4c057fe6fc598b696f423c927c46f.jpg

Hi Clive,

You might wish to put a few words into this thread with your turning of tank engines lark:

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

You might wish to put a few words into this thread with your turning of tank engines lark:

Gibbo.

I saw that thread, some places they were and other there were not. There were so many variants as why they were and were not. I sometimes run tank engines bunker first but as it is my railway I don't have to have any rules. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Those steam locos are immaculately clean, especially the Standard class 4 tank and the N2. With locos sparkling like that (even the wheels) , are we to conclude that Sheffield Exchange has been transferred to the Western Region or have they just bought a job lot of elbow grease from Swindon ?

Hi Jazzer

So far I only have pre weathered and very dusty locos. I will in due course weather my locos, as well as fit crews, real coal and lamps. I will not however be putting sound chips in them ......I can do a good Chufff Chufff Chufff......

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer

So far I only have pre weathered and very dusty locos. I will in due course weather my locos, as well as fit crews, real coal and lamps. I will not however be putting sound chips in them ......I can do a good Chufff Chufff Chufff......

As  one chuffer to another, don't forget the Chshhhhhhhh when the cylinder cocks are open.:)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And fizzzelll as the fireman frys the eggs on his shovel. 

...and Oh Sh1t as the driver opens the regulator and they get sucked up the chimney.

• Funny 4

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...and Oh Sh1t as the driver opens the regulator and they get sucked up the chimney.

Hi St Endoch,

As one that has cooked his breakfast upon his shovel a number of times I have to say a fire that is suitable for a locomotive to allow for the departure of a train will ensure a pungently bituminous flavour to any egg. Also way would the locomotive crew arrange lunch at a time that conflicts with the inconvenience of a movement ?

Shouvelle-cuisine is best undertaken with a fire that has run down and is more ember than flame for a really good high temperature fry of, eggs bacon, sausages and even better steak. Such conditions will be more likely found at lay overs in termini and in loops where and when the time table allows.

Do please press the pedantic button !!!

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

One day it will hit me why I am so daft as to want to use an old fashioned system.

Mean while the empty stock Derby unit for the 18.19 to Barnsley waits as the Sheffield section of the Friday's only Llandudno to Bradford arrives.

100_5752a.jpg.a1fb98008426090a0a5b70ee86b38f65.jpg

100_5753a.jpg.aec92ccf837ee5f5bffae0c890546b3e.jpg

During June, July and August it conveys two through coaches from Aberystwyth and on alternative weeks are provided by the WR. 

100_5755a.jpg.23b1609d0f7e195ae7dcb0a89ba280bb.jpg

It snakes is way into platform six.

100_5757a.jpg.f419126d3f76212782f0de49b18a806f.jpg

Jim the relief signalman is now able to give the ECS train permission to go on to platform four and collect its waiting passengers. 

100_5758a.jpg.4eb3545fedfa93095a637de402835529.jpg

The big type 4 backs down on to the Landudno train to forward it as ECS to Bradford where it will be reunited with its other half to form the Saturday's only Bradford to Holyhead, dropping the WR coaches off at Chester.

We haven't been to Iceland for some time

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi St Endoch,

As one that has cooked his breakfast upon his shovel a number of times I have to say a fire that is suitable for a locomotive to allow for the departure of a train will ensure a pungently bituminous flavour to any egg. Also way would the locomotive crew arrange lunch at a time that conflicts with the inconvenience of a movement ?

Shouvelle-cuisine is best undertaken with a fire that has run down and is more ember than flame for a really good high temperature fry of, eggs bacon, sausages and even better steak. Such conditions will be more likely found at lay overs in termini and in loops where and when the time table allows.

Do please press the pedantic button !!!

Gibbo.

There will be no cooking of food on the footplate at Sheffield Exchange young Gibbo. A perfectly adequate drivers mess is provided. :rtfm:

• Like 1