Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

On 13/04/2019 at 12:55, Clive Mortimore said:

There will be no cooking of food on the footplate at Sheffield Exchange young Gibbo. A perfectly adequate drivers mess is provided. :rtfm:

Hi Clive,

I should wish to inform you that what I get up to in the loops is between my fireman and I.

I shall hear nothing of innuendo involving sausage following that remark for I much prefer a good meaty rasher of bacon hanging out of a bread bun to chew upon.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I should wish to inform you that what I get up to in the loops is between my fireman and I.

I shall hear nothing of innuendo involving sausage following that remark for I much prefer a good meaty rasher of bacon hanging out of a bread bun to chew upon.

Gibbo.

What can one say?

All I hope there is nothing incriminating that goes on in the "loops", especially when our intrepid photographer has film in his camera.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi DCC Troll fans 

I am so glad I am enjoying playing trains this afternoon, a 2 car Derby is on its way to Doncaster, then Wakefield and going the other way is the afternoon Preston train formed of two 2 car Cravens. I think I will stop trying to help people, why ask a question and then be rude to the people helping you. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Hi, Clive

Glad to hear you're still running dmus after the recent resurgence in steam activity. Has there been any more progress with the Swindon Inter-City or any other 'unitary' developments recently?

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

Glad to hear you're still running dmus after the recent resurgence in steam activity. Has there been any more progress with the Swindon Inter-City or any other 'unitary' developments recently?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I haven't done much modelling lately, lots of running of trains. And lots of thinking.

A tune to relax to

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Is that you asking a question?

There was, allegedly, a university final exam paper in Philosophy that consisted of the following:

"Is this a question?"

One student left after less than a minute, having written:

"If that is a question, then this is an answer."

The student got a First.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi DCC Troll fans 

. I think I will stop trying to help people, why ask a question and then be rude to the people helping you. 

I daresay the station staff at Sheffield Exchange feel the same way when they  try to help a dim passenger that   Mis read the time table and turned up after their train has left.  All part of life’s rich pageant .:huh:

But never fear, most of us are, I am sure as enthralled and delighted by your jaunty prose as we would have been by a trip out to Enfield Town behind an N7 on the Jazz.

More importantly, I hope, with tomorrow being a bank holiday we will be seeing some (steam hauled ) excursions to the seaside , well Cleethorpes anyway ? 

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or are railway modelling magazines playing to the RTR gang? :read:  The latest BRM, 7 in depth reviews.....it will improve with running in... How to fit DCC chip in a loco.....again and again....Lay track the easy way....rails on the top????..... 3 amazing layouts....not sure if they are......hold on a second there is building article ....Build a mini chalet kit....every layout needs a mini chalet.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an article on 1930s colour light signalling? You know something with some research behind it.

Whoops being a DCC troll again.....what a lovely idea of yet another article on fitting a DCC chip. :scenic:

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, ian said:

You could always fit the DCC chip to your mini chalet kit....

Hi Ian,

Better still, control your 1930's colour light signals while at the same time integrating your very own version of the Strowger Hudd train control system.

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Ian,

Better still, control your 1930's colour light signals while at the same time integrating your very own version of the Strowger Hudd train control system.

Gibbo.

Wot all in your kit built mini chalet :scratchhead:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2019 at 11:37, jazzer said:

I daresay the station staff at Sheffield Exchange feel the same way when they  try to help a dim passenger that   Mis read the time table and turned up after their train has left.  All part of life’s rich pageant .:huh:

But never fear, most of us are, I am sure as enthralled and delighted by your jaunty prose as we would have been by a trip out to Enfield Town behind an N7 on the Jazz.

More importantly, I hope, with tomorrow being a bank holiday we will be seeing some (steam hauled ) excursions to the seaside , well Cleethorpes anyway ? 

Hi Jazzer

I have been running a limited Sunday service as it is Good Friday. Remember back in 60s Good Friday might have been a bank holiday but unlike today the shops were shut, kids were not allowed out to play until the afternoon following going to church in the morning.

Come Monday, I hope you all have your kiss me quick hats, if not your knotted hankie to keep the sun off your head,  bucket and spade and for those more adventurous your surf boards...

I just hope there isn't any of those mods and rockers

I suppose they are young and having fun....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Is it me or are railway modelling magazines playing to the RTR gang? :read:  The latest BRM, 7 in depth reviews.....it will improve with running in... How to fit DCC chip in a loco.....again and again....Lay track the easy way....rails on the top????..... 3 amazing layouts....not sure if they are......hold on a second there is building article ....Build a mini chalet kit....every layout needs a mini chalet.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an article on 1930s colour light signalling? You know something with some research behind it.

It's called dumbing down Clive, the world is full of it regrettably, that and demanding instant gratification.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

37 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's called dumbing down Clive, the world is full of it regrettably, that and demanding instant gratification.

Mike.

I’d be more worried if this was in a copy of MRJ

the magazines need to play to their audience and depend on the RTR manufacturers and retailers for advertising revenue 

• Like 1

Fully agree with all that but at the same time I do wonder how many articles are actually submitted from modellers these days demonstrating how they built their 1930s coloured light signals etc so the mags have more useful options than just showing you how to fit the dcc chip in your kit built chalet to run the disco lights or how they scratch built their own stock rather than just advising your blue or red box loco will improve after a period of running in but that's just a thought and not a dig at anyone or anything and you're right I think when I was younger and used to regularly get railway/continental modeller there was a lot more articles in them of unique modelling submitted by various readers.

Who else is about to have melt-down at the lack of full stops in that sentence? ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

35 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Fully agree with all that but at the same time I do wonder how many articles are actually submitted from modellers these days demonstrating how they built their 1930s coloured light signals etc so the mags have more useful options than just showing you how to fit the dcc chip in your kit built chalet to run the disco lights or how they scratch built their own stock rather than just advising your blue or red box loco will improve after a period of running in but that's just a thought and not a dig at anyone or anything and you're right I think when I was younger and used to regularly get railway/continental modeller there was a lot more articles in them of unique modelling submitted by various readers.

Who else is about to have melt-down at the lack of full stops in that sentence? ;)

My Dear Mr Goldfish,

I read your entire post out load and I am so out of breath I fear that I may fain.........................................................................................................

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been running a limited Sunday service as it is Good Friday. Remember back in 60s Good Friday might have been a bank holiday but unlike today the shops were shut, kids were not allowed out to play until the afternoon following going to church in the morning.

IIRC, Yorkcestershire didn't particularly shut on Good Friday, taking Easter Tuesday off instead.

Hence the reason why York exhibtion used to run Saturday-Tuesday............

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

IIRC, Yorkcestershire didn't particularly shut on Good Friday, taking Easter Tuesday off instead.

Hence the reason why York exhibtion used to run Saturday-Tuesday............

Cheers,

Mick

From my, increasingly failing, memory, ISTR it was Good Friday to Easter Tuesday in the good old days of two exhibition locations in the city centre.

1970's probably before your time though?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From my, increasingly failing, memory, ISTR it was Good Friday to Easter Tuesday in the good old days of two exhibition locations in the city centre.

1970's probably before your time though?

Mike.

My visit visit to York show was probably 1980 I passed my driving test in 1979 and then went to lots of shows in the next few years

De Grey Rooms and the Assenbly Rooms.

:)

• Like 1