Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo 

On forum like this there is very little sharing of modelling, and those of us do tend to be the ones who view what others are muttering about, hence it appears well received.  I think Enterprising Mike is right people want instant gratification. The Big Warship is a classic example, it must have been about 5 or more years ago I said how I went about building my example and said to those waiting if you really want one you would make it yourself or ask/pay someone*. March this year they all had damp panties because their must have loco finally reached them, a few days short of it being announced eleven years before. Far longer that the class was in service.

In the past I have been reported to the mods for showing my home made model when the RTR one is shi  cra  po rubbish.  

* I got no commissions. 

I'm still fairly confident I'll produce an original NBL Type 2 diesel electric before Dapol. There are 2 Bank Holidays coming - it's just the thought of filing the cab glazing that's frightening me

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Earlier today I took a snapshot of unread post. It was nice to see that the largest number of unread posts were layout subjects, but how many had wandered off topic like this has, thirteen in all. Closely followed by stuff in Wheeltappers, that could really be on something like Faceache, I counted 11. There were 8 topics on model making which surprised me, 7 on model or modelling related topics and 6 on new or announced products. 4 questions on the prototype, 3 on exhibition announcements and 3 on my favorite, good old DCC, only one on non DCC elelectrickery.  

I only read one and that was about painting class 15 and 16 in blue with TOPS numbers, the poster was asking who could do it for him…..he did get advised to buy an airbrush, and not by me.

It was pleasing to see that layouts and modelling featured quite well overall considering the time wasted by many of us, including me, on here.

I have the sides of the Trailer First finished. Only now I realise I don't have enough Tri-ang chassis and roofs for all my planned conversions. Next show or visit to B&H models in Lincoln (lovely shop) I will buy a couple of cheap ones.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

So far today I have cleaned the house, and in between chores cut perfectly good flex track into scale 60 foot lengths, so my trains go clickety clack properly.

Must go, the men in white coats are waiting with a comfortable jacket and some medicine.

Yo Doc

Are you going to make your track 18.82mm wide as well?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

So far today I have cleaned the house, and in between chores cut perfectly good flex track into scale 60 foot lengths, so my trains go clickety clack properly.

Must go, the men in white coats are waiting with a comfortable jacket and some medicine.

You only need to nick the top edge of the rails every scale 60ft, that way you keep the long length which is easier to lay.

• Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Earlier today I took a snapshot of unread post. It was nice to see that the largest number of unread posts were layout subjects, but how many had wandered off topic like this has, thirteen in all. Closely followed by stuff in Wheeltappers, that could really be on something like Faceache, I counted 11. There were 8 topics on model making which surprised me, 7 on model or modelling related topics and 6 on new or announced products. 4 questions on the prototype, 3 on exhibition announcements and 3 on my favorite, good old DCC, only one on non DCC elelectrickery.  

I only read one and that was about painting class 15 and 16 in blue with TOPS numbers, the poster was asking who could do it for him…..he did get advised to buy an airbrush, and not by me.

It was pleasing to see that layouts and modelling featured quite well overall considering the time wasted by many of us, including me, on here.

I have the sides of the Trailer First finished. Only now I realise I don't have enough Tri-ang chassis and roofs for all my planned conversions. Next show or visit to B&H models in Lincoln (lovely shop) I will buy a couple of cheap ones.

Hi Clive

Wish you'd muttered before, I saw some Triang?Hornby  coach chasis in some misc coaching bits for sale at AVR on Friday.

I didn't buy 'cos whilst there were some quality bits included, I didn't recognise what they were. (SR I think) (I know there were 2 whitemetal EMU ends).

Just as a rough idea how much do you call cheap? In case I can find myself nearby again.

All the best

TONY

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The cab on the Leading Motor Brake Second has been made, so I have had a six car train running. Photos hopefully later tonight as the sun light coming through the windows at the moment is not good for photographing toy trains. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmtaYdsuzjc

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been trawling Youtube for Japanese bands and most either try to sound like American heavy rock bands or are too poppy for my taste until I found, very much in the same sound band as Band Maid.

Back to trains a little later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Photos of the Edinburgh to Glasgow Swindon Inter-City unit. A big thank you to Martyn (Signaler 69) for his inspiration of using Trix coaches for these trains.

100_5761a.jpg.fb152a7d8094be2dc4b67947df5fe208.jpg

Leading Driving Motor Brake Second Open

100_5762a.jpg.6982956f0ac38ca0e6d235230f40bd90.jpg

The first of the two Intermediate Driving Motor Second Opens. On the Edinburgh to Glasgow services they very rarely were the leading coach on a six coach train. They would be on the few three car trains that ran. The similar units on the Ayrshire services they were commonly at the front.

100_5763a.jpg.958f3cd4efcf3472dc67f45c188e1400.jpg

The Trailer First Corridor, some compartments were downgraded to second class making them Trailer Composite Corridor coaches, like the ones on the Ayrshire services.

100_5764a.jpg.d46d355b264c660ac643459055f4f5c4.jpg

100_5765a.jpg.612da004d9235c1461c007500f5a86c1.jpg

Both sides of the Trailer First Corridor Restaurant Buffet, I have hid the trains motor in the buffet end. With the motor in the middle of the train  on a terminus type layout means the motor coach isn't pushing five unpowered coaches over the point work.

100_5767a.jpg.f2828d720d8fbabd113db79257c6133a.jpg

The two Intermediate Driving Motor Second Opens, so I wasn't making two the same I have added a LNER type gangway cover on the right hand one instead of a BR one. By the looks of things the one with the BR gangway cover needs its windscreens made a tad bigger, they are the same size as a door window.

100_5768a.jpg.cb38f955f8dfa873e4b2036e89476c6b.jpg

The two Driving Motor Brake Second Opens , the right hand one is an intermediate version. On viewing photos of the six car trains in service not all would have two DMSO but three DMBSO, two with leading cabs and one in the same place as I have a DMSO.

There is still loads of work on these, the sides need filler to hide the joints, the underframes need making, new vents on the roofs and then there is the painting and glazing, so maybe in 10 years time it will be a complete train.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2019 at 05:33, Enterprisingwestern said:

From my, increasingly failing, memory, ISTR it was Good Friday to Easter Tuesday in the good old days of two exhibition locations in the city centre.

1970's probably before your time though?

Mike.

Don't remember it ever being open on Good Friday.