Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi George

It is a trailer car for a Class 121. As Ravenser states the power car was a double cabbed affair, commonly called a bubble car. On some branches at busy times the unpowered trailer like you have would be coupled to the bubble car making a two car unit. https://railphotoprints.uk/p882512440/h84A70DFD#h84a70dfd

Hasn't Dapol made a powered O gauge bubble car?

It looks a nice model.

Well ###### me, never realised there were trailers for bubble cars. Just out of curiosity, was the 'blunt' end equipped with a corridor connection?

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Well ###### me, never realised there were trailers for bubble cars. Just out of curiosity, was the 'blunt' end equipped with a corridor connection?

When built they did not have a gangway. The preserved one does as it is coupled to a Pressed Steel 117 MBS. I am not sure if this happened before becoming preserved or a latter addition. I don't think they did in BR service. 

Just found from the Railcar Association web site 

Two vehicles were fitted with a gangway (54287 by the end of 1988 and 54289 by the end of 1989) which divided this full width seat into a pair of two-seaters, reducing capacity from 91 to 89 seats.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When built they did not have a gangway. The preserved one does as it is coupled to a Pressed Steel 117 MBS. I am not sure if this happened before becoming preserved or a latter addition. I don't think they did in BR service. 

Just found from the Railcar Association web site 

Cheers Handsome! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

What a good week for releases

This nice ditty from The Regrettes

This tune from Skating Polly

Along with this song by 亜沙 -Asa (bass player with the Wagakki Band)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2019 at 16:53, St Enodoc said:

John, I found a copy on eBay at a very good price so that is now on its way.

The Mike Cook book has arrived. I'm looking forward to reading it.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What a good week for releases

This nice ditty from The Regrettes

This tune from Skating Polly

Along with this song by 亜沙 -Asa (bass player with the Wagakki Band)

Still trying to come to terms with the new website!!! so I've just come across your videos of your layout. Marvellous, obviously you have put a lot of thought into getting the maximum 'Playtime' horrible phrase!!! out of it!! The station approach is dead sexy with a train going over it!!

Your work rate over 18months is stupendous, Respect!!!

The Wagakki video is, as usual great!! I'll have to bite the bullet or rather the financial bullet and buy an album!! Won''t stop watching the videos mind, she is Stunning!!!! as are the tunes!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I hate Hornby Stanier class 4 tanks.

Lovely looking locos but a chassis that was designed by a committee.

Last night I thought I had a few moments to run some trains. Backing the Stanier out of platform seven the rear bogie derailed unexpectedly. Back on the track and it would go. OH !!!! (please insert your own non RMweb word) !!!!!! Took it apart to see if it was problem with the motor. No that worked so I then set about trying to find if there was a problem with the electrickery getting to the motor. One red wire five or six black wires going and coming from the DCC blanking plate thingie.....and two of them plug into a connector that has the two black wires to the motor. It took ages to sort the route the electric went from the blanking plate. There was no power getting to it from the wheels.

Off with the keeper plates, there are two, wheels and pickups whizzing their own directions. The wire to the "insulated" side was OK. The problem appears to be the non insulated side which relies on a metal stud poking through the inner keeper plate that wasn't making contact with the pick up strip. Reassembled every thing, helped by more non RMweb words. It ran very badly. I had embedded one of the pickups in the spokes of a rear driver. Sorted that out. Runs better but not as good as before it derailed.

Did the rear bogie, which has more slop than a hooker's knicker elastic, bash the rear drivers and knock the pick us out of alignment, hence no electrons making their way to the motor?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

'More slop than a hookers knickers elastic', I'm remembering that 1!

Don't go down the mine Granny, there's enough slack in your knickers already.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I hate Hornby Stanier class 4 tanks.

Lovely looking locos but a chassis that was designed by a committee.

Last night I thought I had a few moments to run some trains. Backing the Stanier out of platform seven the rear bogie derailed unexpectedly. Back on the track and it would go. OH !!!! (please insert your own non RMweb word) !!!!!! Took it apart to see if it was problem with the motor. No that worked so I then set about trying to find if there was a problem with the electrickery getting to the motor. One red wire five or six black wires going and coming from the DCC blanking plate thingie.....and two of them plug into a connector that has the two black wires to the motor. It took ages to sort the route the electric went from the blanking plate. There was no power getting to it from the wheels.

Off with the keeper plates, there are two, wheels and pickups whizzing their own directions. The wire to the "insulated" side was OK. The problem appears to be the non insulated side which relies on a metal stud poking through the inner keeper plate that wasn't making contact with the pick up strip. Reassembled every thing, helped by more non RMweb words. It ran very badly. I had embedded one of the pickups in the spokes of a rear driver. Sorted that out. Runs better but not as good as before it derailed.

Did the rear bogie, which has more slop than a hooker's knicker elastic, bash the rear drivers and knock the pick us out of alignment, hence no electrons making their way to the motor?

Does it have pick ups on the bogie as well as the driving wheels. like the L1 model does?  I haven't got a Stanier Class 4 but have several L1s and sometimes think they're picking up more juice from the bogie than the driving wheels.  I sort of think (but haven't done anything to prove it) that the driving wheel pick up wipers are too long to exert enough pressure against the wheels for reliable contact.  And those Hornby locos that rely on a contact against a stud to pass the juice can be a right pain - an awful arrangement.  DON'T take the keeper plate off a Black 5, whatever you do!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, 31A said:

Does it have pick ups on the bogie as well as the driving wheels. like the L1 model does?  I haven't got a Stanier Class 4 but have several L1s and sometimes think they're picking up more juice from the bogie than the driving wheels.  I sort of think (but haven't done anything to prove it) that the driving wheel pick up wipers are too long to exert enough pressure against the wheels for reliable contact.  And those Hornby locos that rely on a contact against a stud to pass the juice can be a right pain - an awful arrangement.  DON'T take the keeper plate off a Black 5, whatever you do!!

Hi Steve

Thankfully it doesn't have pick-ups on the bogie. It is a really strange set up. The lump of metal that holds the rear end of the motor in place is also the part of the chassis that the bogie is attached to. so you undo a screw to take the rear mounting thingie off and clump as a heavy bit of metal with the bogie attached falls off and uses your big toe to break its fall. As I say it has been designed by a committee, who else could make something simple complicated.

"An elephant is a mouse designed by a committee".

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

'More slop than a hookers knickers elastic', I'm remembering that 1!

I just want to clarify that I was agreeing with Satan's comment that "he was remembering that" when I hit the agree button to his post.  That is, I was not agreeing with Mr M's original comparison with the status of the underwear of professional sex-workers (assuming I can post such language on this forum and Mr M has any working knowledge of such professionals).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I just want to clarify that I was agreeing with Satan's comment that "he was remembering that" when I hit the agree button to his post.  That is, I was not agreeing with Mr M's original comparison with the status of the underwear of professional sex-workers (assuming I can post such language on this forum and Mr M has any working knowledge of such professionals).

My information comes from a friend of a friend. :secret:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Totally agree with your comments on the L1.

Lovely piece of kit and perfect for heaving trains from Manchester Oldham Rd to Macclesfield and elsewhere. Ran like a drunken flange when I first got it. Had to clean black off the drivers, fettle the pickups and sort out the pickups on the bogies!!! Had I been Mr RMWeb, I'd have been moaning like B*****y and saying Hornby are C**p and worship on the alter that is Bachmann!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't stop myself, rant mode!!

Instead I did a bit of 70's fettling and she runs beautifully!!

I'm afraid all my Stanier tanks have run superbly, including the one that was spares or repair. I glued the valvegear back together and she's cool!!!

I've had the baseplate off two Ivatt Black 5's. I was stopping the huge amount of fore and aft slop in the rear drivers. Bit of packing and everything is Groovy!!!!

Thinking about it, it was a bit of a B****r getting the plate back on!

My dear late Mum would have called it 'Character Building'!!!

• RMweb Premium

My L1 suffered with mazak rot, the pony truck just fell apart. It has the last one Peter's Spares had in stock a green LNER one, must get the black paint out.

My other Stanier class 4 tank had a gear wheel split.

Just waiting for the new chassis Fowler tank to do something stupid.

The old XO4 motored Fowler don't look as good but keep its wheels clean and it is a star.

But none of them are as good and reliable as my two Bachmann Fairburns and the BR 80xxx.

I do like the big 2-6-4 tanks so might get some more.....and moan about them.

• Friendly/supportive 2

And people wonder WHY I've gone all Diesiellie lately, apart from the Hornby 31,  that developed woodworm all the rest seem fine.

Hope you sort it soon matey, AND GET YOUR CAMERA REPAIRED, as we seem to be lacking proper real genuine pics of Trains just lately.:cry:

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And people wonder WHY I've gone all Diesiellie lately, apart from the Hornby 31,  that developed woodworm all the rest seem fine.

Hope you sort it soon matey, AND GET YOUR CAMERA REPAIRED, as we seem to be lacking proper real genuine pics of Trains just lately.:cry:

There is nought new to show.

• Friendly/supportive 1