Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Wow.... 305, 307, 309, 310, 312, 313, 315, 321 & 86s. 

The 315s and 321s are still going (my office is just up the line in Stratford).  The variety is now: 315, 317, 321, 345, 357, 360, 378, 387, 90s and a steady stream of 66s, the occasional 70 or pair of 86s on the container trains.  That's just the regular stuff.  I really should get on with some work occasionally.

Did you spot the AM2 in the middle of the two Southend units. I didn't think trains to Southend were twelve car in the 80s.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

On the Nod to Brent thread there was mention of the GER Jazz services....well here it is in 1989....enough to make anyone want to model EMUs

Thought it best not to post on the NTB thread, they wouldn't understand, it isn't G*R but GER

Nice video, that was a time when my railway interest lapsed a bit, must have been interesting around that time with the older stock still hanging on and the combination of different liveries.

Steve.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

On the Nod to Brent thread there was mention of the GER Jazz services....well here it is in 1989....enough to make anyone want to model EMUs

Thought it best not to post on the NTB thread, they wouldn't understand, it isn't G*R but GER

Good and interesting Video / Film footage mate, I never realised that Toothpaste Liveries on Electric Units went under knighting, I thought they were just South of the River on 3rd Rail.

Now I can see some attraction for EMU'S,:good: but I am seeing my physiatrist tomorrow.:o:P

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

can i ask another Q: about class 205 DEMU's

i see Bachmann do a early green version (with small yellow panel) and a blue one (with full yellow front)  :) but did any early green  versions have a full yellow front? 

A quick scan of the blood and custard website suggest none were. Please do have a read in case I missed one.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Good and interesting Video / Film footage mate, I never realised that Toothpaste Liveries on Electric Units went under knighting, I thought they were just South of the River on 3rd Rail.

Now I can see some attraction for EMU'S,:good: but I am seeing my physiatrist tomorrow.:o:P

We even had Jaffa cake livery

P2.jpg.4efeb94d4e68e84f379e969959fc80fb.jpg

And it is fitted with a kaydee coupling.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's running session is about to conclude. I have had a few problems with a Stanier class 4 tank misbehaving again, this time the pony truck kept jumping off the track. Never when I was watching it. 

My part converted Airfix suburbans derailed, for some reason two coaches the pin point axles were not in the bearings, it looks like someone put something heavy on them.......whoops. 

I went to start a train being pulled by an Ivatt class 2 tank. It wouldn't budge. Started to go through my lets check it out before throwing it against the wall. Well an early test is to put test leads on the pick ups. When checking the test leads there was no spark. A wire had come adrift from controller number one...it is a Gaugemaster Combi. Soon sorted. Said Ivatt is on a 2 coach local from Dewsbury. It is due to arrive soon after a 2 car Cravens set from Doncaster. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Clive, to paraphrase an old saying: 'A watched train never derails'. You must have remembered that from Monday nights!.

On another matter, some Southend and Southminster (the latter after May '86) trains were 12 car in the peak.

Jim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Not my usual cup of tea, but I've been thinking about art school a lot lately.... especially the girls I knew

Oh!!! I haven't listened to Belle and Sebastian for yonks, Cheers Doc.

I am sure they were different type of ladies to those who frequented the pubs squaddies drank in. "I've only had two lovers, 1st Battalion Scots Guards and 2nd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment."

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, jimwal said:

'A watched train never derails'.

It will someone ELSE is watching it. Especially if many someone elses are...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

There would be ten or so of us sat in our normal seats. "Clive, can start the train". Guess who sat next to the controller? Off would go someone's latest toy. "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " Sounds like it is off" would pipe up someone.  "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " What's off?" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " The train!" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" "Clive, stop the train". "Turn it round", would be Jim coming up with a solution.

"Clive, can start the train". Off would go the new toy. "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " Sounds like it is off" would pipe up someone.  "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " What's off?" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " The train!" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" "Clive, stop the train".

After much discussion and fiddling about "Clive, can start the train". Off it would go again. "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " Sounds like it is off" would pipe up someone.  "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " What's off?" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " The train!" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" "Clive, stop the train".

No one ever watched the trains going round unless it was one of my diesels, then only to take the mickey.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/05/2019 at 12:28, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi you!!!!!!

Shirley Manson is just wonderful, so no saying anything against her. :nono:

Wasn't she a T-1001 trying to help Cersei Lannister some years ago?

here's a couple of videos

and

Edited by Ian_H
spelling!!!

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jimwal said:

Yes ian, later in the day at a show when things start to get a bit too warm. I was actually referring to club nights Clive attended before he moved.

And they always seem to derail when a video camera is being pointed at it. Watching some of dcc125's excellent show footage on youtube recently - several derailments!  

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

OMG what sick people we are bringing into this world :angry: I just couldn't imagine my reaction if someone did that to any of my layout's .... a red mist would surely come down,.     my heart feel thoughts go out to those involved at the club. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

23 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There would be ten or so of us sat in our normal seats. "Clive, can start the train". Guess who sat next to the controller? Off would go someone's latest toy. "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " Sounds like it is off" would pipe up someone.  "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " What's off?" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " The train!" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" "Clive, stop the train". "Turn it round", would be Jim coming up with a solution.

"Clive, can start the train". Off would go the new toy. "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " Sounds like it is off" would pipe up someone.  "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " What's off?" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " The train!" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" "Clive, stop the train".

After much discussion and fiddling about "Clive, can start the train". Off it would go again. "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " Sounds like it is off" would pipe up someone.  "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " What's off?" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" " The train!" "Clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk clonk" "Clive, stop the train".

No one ever watched the trains going round unless it was one of my diesels, then only to take the mickey.

Clive, you make it sound as if our meetings at Keith's consisted of unreliable running and people who had little interest other than take the mickey out of you!. Ok, your diesels may have held less interest to many, which is why I rarely brought diesels to run. Colin G probably had more micky taking as his locos seemed to run poorly or not at all.

Stock I take runs with rarely any derailments and generally creates discussion. Obviously it needs to be kit built, converted or altered in some way rather than pure RTR stock. Items also needs to be reasonably complete so as to be identifiable even if they are not 100% finished. We all have the mick taken at times, its all in jest, don't take it to heart Clive!

• Like 1

I’m going to blow my cover here but thinking back to Roslyn House days, the only ‘Clonk, Clonk, Clonking’ came from a certain members lead filled WD passing over P&C and track joints, their Britannia being a close runner-up.:yes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jimwal said:

Clive, you make it sound as if our meetings at Keith's consisted of unreliable running and people who had little interest other than take the mickey out of you!. Ok, your diesels may have held less interest to many, which is why I rarely brought diesels to run. Colin G probably had more micky taking as his locos seemed to run poorly or not at all.

Stock I take runs with rarely any derailments and generally creates discussion. Obviously it needs to be kit built, converted or altered in some way rather than pure RTR stock. Items also needs to be reasonably complete so as to be identifiable even if they are not 100% finished. We all have the mick taken at times, its all in jest, don't take it to heart Clive!

Hi Jim

I still miss Monday nights.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2