Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Had a nice uneventful operating session this afternoon, must do some more modelling  not just running. Tonight has been a bit of an old goth song visit only to find it is the last biscuit in the box. 

Didn't realise that anyone else knew of the Fields of the Nephilim - hard core Goth stuff compared to The Mission or even The Sisters of Mercy. I remember painting my eldest daughters bedroom black with stars and moons etc.. whilst listening to The Fields a - memorable experience. We resisted the coffin bed though!

She is now a wonderful Senior Ward Sister with three lovely kids.  

Thanks for reminding me Clive. I really like the combination of railways and interesting rock music. How about Joy Division/New Order?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Had a nice uneventful operating session this afternoon, must do some more modelling  not just running. Tonight has been a bit of an old goth song visit only to find it is the last biscuit in the box. 

Didn't realise that anyone else knew of the Fields of the Nephilim - hard core Goth stuff compared to The Mission or even The Sisters of Mercy. I remember painting my eldest daughters bedroom black with stars and moons etc.. whilst listening to The Fields a - memorable experience. We resisted the coffin bed though!

She is now a wonderful Senior Ward Sister with three lovely kids.  

Thanks for reminding me Clive. I really like the combination of railways and interesting rock music. How about Joy Division/New Order?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

We had the black bedroom with our eldest. There is quite a gang of old goths within DEMU so we are not alone with the Fields of Nephilim. I like Joy Division, never been too sure about New Order, not a dislike but they are not a band I seek out.

You may have noticed I have a strange music taste. There is still plenty of new music around. This week Skating Polly released a new song, Sleter Kinney released a new single today, not too sure about it, and at the moment I am listening ( and enjoying) to Hemming's newly released mini album.  Top it all Band Maid have some new songs they are performing live but have not released as yet....thankfully they are on You Tube.

As for today's railway activity, I have started to plan a time table. I am using the 1969 summer time table platform workings for Liverpool Street. The Street was/is in reality two stations side by side. The west side deals with trains serving the north east of London, out to Cambridge and beyond. The east side the east end, Essex and all points eastward. OK the middle platforms could be used for nearly all destinations. Well I have been looking at the east side platforms 11 to 18. I have eight platforms. I haven't matched my platform 1 with platform 11 and so on but shuffled them about a bit. I think I will use the real destinations as a guide to what types of train is required. Examples, a Norwich to be a hauled express, a Clacton an express DMU, a Gidea Park train a suburban hauled train or DMU. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As for today's railway activity, I have started to plan a time table. I am using the 1969 summer time table platform workings for Liverpool Street. The Street was/is in reality two stations side by side. The west side deals with trains serving the north east of London, out to Cambridge and beyond. The east side the east end, Essex and all points eastward. OK the middle platforms could be used for nearly all destinations. Well I have been looking at the east side platforms 11 to 18. I have eight platforms. I haven't matched my platform 1 with platform 11 and so on but shuffled them about a bit. I think I will use the real destinations as a guide to what types of train is required. Examples, a Norwich to be a hauled express, a Clacton an express DMU, a Gidea Park train a suburban hauled train or DMU. 

Clive

If I recall correctly the Liverpool Street platforms were further sub divided by more precise destination. I seem to recall that 7 and (possibly) 8 were the hauled Cambridge service, 9 was Norwich 10 was the boat train the Royal train and I think the odd "extra" to Ipswich and beyond. 11 & 12 were Clacton/Walton, then there were the Southends and finally the Gidea Parks. I presume that on a similar theme platforms 1 to 6 were likewise sub divided. Could you take the service out of each odd (or even) numbered platform and align each ones usage  with one of your platforms?

Just a thought

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are these in a correct livery for 1960s layout? https://www.hattons.co.uk/463658/hornby_r6934_lwb_box_van_coca_cola_/stockdetail.aspx

And how many do I need for a realistic train? :tomato:

For a realistic train, you'd need a nice round figure I suspect. 0.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

For a realistic train, you'd need a nice round figure I suspect. 0.

Now that is a disappointment, why would such an esteemed company like Hornby not do something that is historically correct.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Thanks for updating me on the New Music scene, we all miss Mr Peel I think? Please keep up the good music work.

Can't help you on your timetable plans, were you a Train Planner in another life? Us engineering types just provided (sometimes) the kit for you operating types to play with. My interest is building little steam loco's. 

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

(Don't tell Clive, but all of Hornby's rolling stock is narrow gauge and therefore not historically correct...)

:secret: Don't tell Stu I did once join the Scale Four Society, but realised life is too short to worry about a missing 2.32 mm. :secret:

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Bring back Super 4 track!

Sleepers were too close. How about Series 3 (and I know the series 3 sleepers were too far apart)l

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:secret: Don't tell Stu I did once join the Scale Four Society, but realised life is too short to worry about a missing 2.32 mm. :secret:

I was also a member for a short time in the 1980s. I still refer to my copy of the Scalefour Digest when building points, setting out curves, and for other basic data that is independent of track gauge. I was also, and still am, a member of the S Scale MRS, which is another story altogether.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Sleepers were too close. How about Series 3 (and I know the series 3 sleepers were too far apart)l

Paul.

Standard track would save the hassle of ballasting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

A small detour up the mighty hill of Swad after DEMU, to my humble abode and a look at my 3 Layouts, 2 in OO and one in O.

Firstly on Kingsmill (Midland Road) TMD, in OO.

IMG_8053.JPG.e6146356290c123cf2824df76e4275c9.JPG

And then on Seven Mills Sidings in unsurprisingly 7mm.

IMG_8055.JPG.aabc12fe145d6c7a49964a72fe0268ba.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG.ce2cea44f3b00ebeddbd47875cef3b29.JPG

Enjoyed = YES :good:

Converted TO 7mm = NO :nono:

Converted to DCC = NO :nono:

Thanks for a great weekend Clive and a superb Show.:good::yes:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

A small detour up the mighty hill of Swad after DEMU, to my humble abode and a look at my 3 Layouts, 2 in OO and one in O.

Cor Blimey Andy where did you get that fat bald bloke look alike from ...................it ain't me. :scared: Wot would I be doing with 0 gauge and the extra "C". :scratchhead:Plus it was too loud. :music:

Cheers for the tour of the layouts and the cuppa. The break done me good before heading home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor Blimey Andy where did you get that fat bald bloke look alike from ...................it ain't me. :scared: Wot would I be doing with 0 gauge and the extra "C". :scratchhead:Plus it was too loud. :music:

Cheers for the tour of the layouts and the cuppa. The break done me good before heading home.

Glad you got home O.K. mate, I enjoyed your company, and the DEMU Show.:good::yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Someone stole the beard?:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Glad you got home O.K. mate, I enjoyed your company, and the DEMU Show.:good::yes:

Seconded - was great to meet the pair of you in the flesh so to speak!  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Someone stole the beard?:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Hi Gilbert

It sort grows now and then. When it gets too itchy I find the razor and look tidy for a couple of days then blow me I have an itchy chin again a few weeks later.

Now if the same thing happened on top of me 'ead again ......well you have seen the results of when it did grow there.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Seconded - was great to meet the pair of you in the flesh so to speak!  

It was good to meet you at long last, thanks for the CD. I will give it a good listen this evening. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It was good to meet you at long last, thanks for the CD. I will give it a good listen this evening. 

I look forward to honest feedback from seasoned ears, Clive!  We'll be rehearsing a batch of new stuff for the forthcoming EP while you're doing that, but here's a link to the current single from the debut:

• Like 3