Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Started a center car for my Tri-ang Cravens unit.

100_5810a.jpg.74ba580a48cadb00313cb445f339f1d9.jpg

Look what a RMwebber does when he isn't in front of his computer discussing class 45s.

...Or DJM

Good fun watching your process for making these, almost inspired me to crack on with some modelling.... ;)

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Look what a RMwebber does when he isn't in front of his computer discussing class 45s.

Can I enquire about the name of that book please?

• RMweb Premium

Only a year late to the party mate, my CD's worn out... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rka said:

Can I enquire about the name of that book please?

Hi RKA

The book is "A Pictorial Record of British Railways Diesel Multiple Units" by Brian Golding, Cheona Publications , ISBN 1-900298-00-7.  There are some errors in the book, not enough in my mind to prevent someone form being able to make models of the units not produced in RTR. Most of us who model our own stuff hopefully will refer to photos, other drawings etc. The Railcar Association website is also a very good resource.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Only a year late to the party mate, my CD's worn out... 

Our fellow RMwebber was very kind and gave me a copy of the CD, which I am happy to say is most enjoyable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi RKA

The book is "A Pictorial Record of British Railways Diesel Multiple Units" by Brian Golding, Cheona Publications , ISBN 1-900298-00-7.  There are some errors in the book, not enough in my mind to prevent someone form being able to make models of the units not produced in RTR. Most of us who model our own stuff hopefully will refer to photos, other drawings etc. The Railcar Association website is also a very good resource.

Thank you Clive.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, timbowilts said:

Clive, assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you don’t partake of the i newspaper, here is a shot of an article in today’s edition

Tim T

image.jpg.b57390b31ced28fada1d26f0a9da507a.jpg

Hi Tim

Matt, aka Satan's Goldfish picked them up on his radar a couple of months ago and shared a couple of their ditties on this very thread. They is a bit good.  :dancer::dancer::scared::dancer:

As for partaking in news papers, there is only one worth reading and that is 70021.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Tim

Matt, aka Satan's Goldfish picked them up on his radar a couple of months ago and shared a couple of their ditties on this very thread. They is a bit good.  :dancer::dancer::scared::dancer:

As for partaking in news papers, there is only one worth reading and that is 70021.

When I lived Dahn Sarf I used to read 73101. All the news that was news...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah Disco's ....well 1970s ones.

All the ladies would be wiggling their bums on the dance floor as all the blokes stood around gorping at said wiggling. Then the DJ would say  "We'll slow things down"......b*ll*cks all hell was let lose. None of the birds wanted that ugly geezer who had been staring at her all night to dance with her so she was off like a rocket to the bogs. Mean time the blokes were frantically looking for somewhere safe to leave their pint before asking a girl for a dance. So there were two opposing stampedes in motion for a short time. Now once the ladies loo was full those poor souls that couldn't get in would have a queue of fellas wanting a grope dance. In the end she would give and reluctantly dance with someone she hoped wouldn't grab her bum until at least halfway through the first song. How romance has changed. 

I was so pleased when punk came along. We went out for the night to have fun, a bit of music , a dance, a fight, another dance and if you ended up with someone that was a bonus. At one gig the fight had started and I thought I was going to be hit when all of a sudden the bloke who was going to wallop me went sideways as this skinhead girl clouted him....I did as she said for the rest of night, of course very reluctantly. 

Very occasionally I would go out with the girls I worked with and we would end up at a club, I was normally bored out my mind, didn't like the music and the clubs were unnaturally busy. One night was quite funny, I was the only bloke in our group and the only one, as they all kept reminding me, chatted up and he was ugly. :secret:

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

With the news from the GCR show and the recent event at Stamford I have been thinking a lot about exhibition security.  Most halls are safe once the caretaker has locked up so there is no need to have a security firm patrolling or people sleeping in the hall. If someone wants to get in many would irrespective of what measures are in place and should they be confronted they possibly would cause injury to the person challenging them. The only answer is not to have stuff in the hall overnight. That would mean setting up on the day of the show and only one day shows.

This is my view, I would be interested in your ideas. I don't want to hear what you would do to the perpetrators, we have a justice system to deal with that. Simply how can exhibitions be made securer so our models are safe.

Now we haven't had Marissa and the boys for a while. For a lady of petite stature she don't 'alf kick ar$£.

• Like 2

It's an interesting issue. When I was helping on the exhibition circuit a few years ago, we'd usually set the layout up the day before and get it running so the first morning of the show would be quite relaxed. Stock and cranes would be left on the layout overnight unattended. We never had any thefts or issues doing this but it would always niggle in the back of my mind that we'd left items that could be easily lifted, especially with the cost of the cranes. However, the locations were secure and insurance would have covered it if anything had happened. A lot of the items were so customized and individual that anyone stealing them would have had issues doing anything further with them, especially the cranes!

Despite this, I'd already planned before the recent incidents that if/when it heads back out to exhibitions I would remove loose items when leaving the layout, especially the more unique items. This is an ok format when not much needs adding/removing each day, but could be a massive headache on larger layouts. 

Other thoughts that have gone through my mind; just because of the way I am and what I do for a living I would have no issues sleeping on a camp bed under the layout if I was that concerned, it's no different to things I've done before... however I'd much rather be in a decent bed before spending all day on my feet at an exhibition! 

That's my 10p's worth anyway. Hope you're ok there Clive and avoided the flooding.

• Like 4

AND ANOTHER THING!!!

just stumbled over these, I remember discussing them with you when I was last there:

20190616_101538.jpg.6894ab4298bc55382cf987aceb732df8.jpg

20190616_101542.jpg.9921794af97a0c9f975f74235dc8e56f.jpg

Any use for the coal lift? (Doesn't matter if they're not)

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

AND ANOTHER THING!!!

just stumbled over these, I remember discussing them with you when I was last there:

20190616_101538.jpg.6894ab4298bc55382cf987aceb732df8.jpg

20190616_101542.jpg.9921794af97a0c9f975f74235dc8e56f.jpg

Any use for the coal lift? (Doesn't matter if they're not)

They are sort of cute :good:

• RMweb Gold

I think wanton vandalism is extremely rare and even in this case was opportunistic rather than deliberate.

Which to me means only the theft angle needs to be considered. And that's more simple - don't leave valuable itens overnight. 

Which of course is impossible for traders.

Does that help?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago I did sleep over in the hall at a Fareham show as part of an overnight security presence. If we had been faced then with what has been alleged was the alcohol fuelled state of the intruders at Market Deeping not sure there was much we could have done safely to prevent recurrence. At MD the published news stories read as though the alarms worked and the reaction caught the perpetrators. Had they been ordinary thieves probably end of story, goods intercepted. That suggests all the pre-planning was adequate for preventing the normal risk from theft.

A recent TV news item on shop-lifting confirmed that minor pilfering is now too low on the crime scale for the police to have the resources to investigate.

Any observations beyond the above get into the realm of political debate regarding austerity, taxation and the state of society generally so are inappropriate for an RMWeb post.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2