Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi DC Troll here again

Please everyone who bothers to have a look at this trash go and have a butchers at 37Oban, aka Roja's thread "Roja's EM bits and bobs"

Read the first post carefully, hopefully like me you will be in awe of his modelling.

Clive, I found this thread soon after it started. I’m amazed at what he is achieving, given his problem.

There’s hope for us all as we get older, truly inspirational stuff

Tim T

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi DC Troll here again

Please everyone who bothers to have a look at this trash go and have a butchers at 37Oban, aka Roja's thread "Roja's EM bits and bobs"

Read the first post carefully, hopefully like me you will be in awe of his modelling.

First time I have posted on your  thread Clive although I have been reading it for a long time.

Your modelling history has been very similar to mine in many ways - doing ‘real’ modelling for over 40 years - conversions, detailing, etc. and not buying off the shelf ‘ perfect’ models like a lot of folk expect today.

A couple of years ago I went out to kill myself after over 20 years of domestic violence came to a head, I was caught on the way out by a friend who stopped me. Modelling in the ‘traditional way’ was part of my therapy to help me recover and build a new life - I recently got married to an amazing lady and my life is now finally good.

Modelling has always been a part of my life since I was a small child and has got me through a lot. People like you and the chap in your link are an inspiration to us all and keep true modelling alive - don’t ever stop please!

Edited by 08221
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks 08221, I know how modelling can help when feeling very down. There have been times when the craft knife has had to be kept out the way until I was feeling in a clearer mind. That is where the music also helps.

Tonight I picked up a pile of oddments of Tri-ang coaches , you know those little bits left over. A wee bit of bish bosh bash and they are transforming themselves into a BR Griddle Car diagram 30.

100_5827a.jpg.eaf2a3d4819333dd580ff40da601c19a.jpg

Corridor side

100_5830a.jpg.f8ae82935586220a65062cf02057d369.jpg

Kitchen side. Only 15 separate parts plus the plastic card infills to make the short in depth windows and with the two 3 foot windows I rebuilt the sliding vents. Is it worth it? Only time will tell.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks 08221, I know how modelling can help when feeling very down. There have been times when the craft knife has had to be kept out the way until I was feeling in a clearer mind. That is where the music also helps.

Tonight I picked up a pile of oddments of Tri-ang coaches , you know those little bits left over. A wee bit of bish bosh bash and they are transforming themselves into a BR Griddle Car diagram 30.

Corridor side

Kitchen side. Only 15 separate parts plus the plastic card infills to make the short in depth windows and with the two 3 foot windows I rebuilt the sliding vents. Is it worth it? Only time will tell.

.......please don't paint that...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Corridor side

Are those Indian coaches mate?

Apache?:D

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Corridor side

Always worth it, even if it doesn't work out as expected.  Part of the learning curve!  Can always try a different way!

Roja

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Corridor side

Dedication. To think that I gave up on my design for the DapFix LMS P2 suburban compo as it needed 9 pieces each side, and my all 3rd has a coupe of compartment spacings wrong because I couldn't be bothered to make more cuts. A bit difficult to pick out when running on the layout so am I bovvered? Well, possibly, might make another and sell the first one.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Dedication. To think that I gave up on my design for the DapFix LMS P2 suburban compo as it needed 9 pieces each side, and my all 3rd has a coupe of compartment spacings wrong because I couldn't be bothered to make more cuts. A bit difficult to pick out when running on the layout so am I bovvered? Well, possibly, might make another and sell the first one.

Hi Eric

008a.jpg.2a94b63b07cb9fbeae553589bcdcd678.jpg

My all seconds (thirds) were cut from 2 BSL and made up of 4 bits.

002a.jpg.aaddaa23cc2c2b2c0f88ed476e42c8b9.jpg

The composite was a wee bit harder. The first compartments are shorter than on a CL so they needed to be cut a tiny bit. The seconds (thirds) are shorter than on a all second but they are shorter on the CL as well which made life a little easier. The unmarked compartment is one left over from doing an all second.

100_5801a.jpg.372cbfbfbee8e580f2a7a80f97861e4f.jpg

The BS needs an extra compartment where the loo is and the brake slightly shorten.

These were all fun to do, they still need painting and maybe a few more detail bits to be added. They will never look as good as the train formed from the Hornby LMS suburbans but a a little over £10 for a Dapol kit and £40 plus for a Horby RTR, if someone enjoys cutting and shutting have some fun.

There is always something to do with the left over brake end bits, a 57 ft BG and a Stove R

001a.jpg.3cab250e97a9d1e505b62431b3e286c8.jpg

002a.jpg.580e6f7ec31fead60fbee7bcb4baed6c.jpg

Still got make a chassis for this, and the two MTK ones I have.

Showing the coaches in their raw state hopefully helps other to think about how they can achieve things for themselves.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice ones Clive. 

My BS was done the same as yours. A second one was in progress when Hornby announced their P3 version so it became a Pull-Push instead. The all Second was made up of bits I had in the box. It isn't quite right but afterwards I came to the same option as yours, so will build a better one when I have the bits to hand. Will the Compo get done? Time and availability of bits will tell.

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

...... I'm trying to think if I've ever noticed any of your units painted? Admittedly, some of them just look epic for not having paint on.

Hi Matt

The long term plan is to paint them. Date as yet is undetermined.

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Corridor side

Clive, perhaps a silly question but I’ve never done a cut and shut apart from a kit replacing the guards section of a Lima DMU, but when you have that many sections in a coach side,I presume you strengthen it internally to prevent the sides collapsing , if so what strengthening sections do you put in ? Or do you just handle it very carefully ? 

I ask because I have some old Hornby coaches and Lima DMUs I am tempted ( inspired ) to try some similar surgery on . Do you build the head code boxes up with filler or is there a supplier that makes the large head code boxes (as far as I know there isn’t) 

Thanks in advance .

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Clive, perhaps a silly question but I’ve never done a cut and shut apart from a kit replacing the guards section of a Lima DMU, but when you have that many sections in a coach side,I presume you strengthen it internally to prevent the sides collapsing , if so what strengthening sections do you put in ? Or do you just handle it very carefully ? 

I ask because I have some old Hornby coaches and Lima DMUs I am tempted ( inspired ) to try some similar surgery on . Do you build the head code boxes up with filler or is there a supplier that makes the large head code boxes (as far as I know there isn’t) 

Thanks in advance .

Hi Jazzer

The sides are just butt joints. I lay them flat on the edge of a cutting mat.

gluing.png.2dcf3073eae0dc862c713f71cd1999f7.png

I try not to worry about the top or bottom being straight as they can be sorted out. Keeping the windows aligned is more important as wonky windows will always be wonky windows.

Lima DMU bodies, the DMS the additional seating bays are butt glued, and the center car has a 2mm x1mm strip of plastic card 7mm up from the bottom of the body. Lima made the seating bays too long on the 117 center car, so if making a 115, 116, 125 or 127 trailer without a loo you either end up with sides that are too long or follow what Brian Kirby suggest, cut each seating bay along the door, it shows less, and then file off 1/4 mm from each section of body side. I done this on my second attempt for the trailer off the 125. 

100_5831a.jpg.6925d6a792afcfa4d783e4faba3060e4.jpg

The 125 arriving at Exchange.

100_5833a.jpg.051cebf93cd06e53d74b06e0155939da.jpg

As for making headcode boxes on 115, 117, 118 and 127 a bit more scale in size, I would laminate some suitable thickness plastic card and then file to shape.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I like the Stove 'R' method Clive, have an idea of doing one from a Mainline 50ft BG if I find a cheap one, but hadn't considered using Brake 3rd parts. Wondered if the Hornby Palethorpes van might be a close wheelbase?

Hi Martyn

The Stove R has a wheelbase of 10ft 6 ins +10 ft 6ins, 42 mm+42mm in our little worlds. I don't know what the wheelbase of the Hornby sausage van is. If it is suitable it might be a route I should take. 

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn

The Stove R has a wheelbase of 10ft 6 ins +10 ft 6ins, 42 mm+42mm in our little worlds. I don't know what the wheelbase of the Hornby sausage van is. If it is suitable it might be a route I should take. 

I will measure my sausage (van) wheelbase and get back to you on that......:mocking_mini: 

Luckily there is a Stove 'R' over at Betws-y-Coed Railway Museum, in static revenue service - as a kitchen! Along with a few other interesting items.

20190414_141300.jpg.77d9d4ed356db097a1253bc5e36d091c.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
Edit: the Hornby Van is 40mm + 40mm, so close but no cigar. Or sausage....
  • Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:19, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer

The sides are just butt joints. I lay them flat on the edge of a cutting mat.

gluing.png.2dcf3073eae0dc862c713f71cd1999f7.png

I try not to worry about the top or bottom being straight as they can be sorted out. Keeping the windows aligned is more important as wonky windows will always be wonky windows.

Lima DMU bodies, the DMS the additional seating bays are butt glued, and the center car has a 2mm x1mm strip of plastic card 7mm up from the bottom of the body. Lima made the seating bays too long on the 117 center car, so if making a 115, 116, 125 or 127 trailer without a loo you either end up with sides that are too long or follow what Brian Kirby suggest, cut each seating bay along the door, it shows less, and then file off 1/4 mm from each section of body side. I done this on my second attempt for the trailer off the 125. 

100_5831a.jpg.6925d6a792afcfa4d783e4faba3060e4.jpg

The 125 arriving at Exchange.

100_5833a.jpg.051cebf93cd06e53d74b06e0155939da.jpg

As for making headcode boxes on 115, 117, 118 and 127 a bit more scale in size, I would laminate some suitable thickness plastic card and then file to shape.

Thanks Clive. I really appreciate those simple explanations and pictures.. Since I came across RM web perhaps a year or so ago some threads have been a complete revelation to me , expanding my  horizons on what can be done . Just  why the various mags don't explain these  sort of things that simply I have no idea.   I cant ever remember seeing an article on this sort of thing. As I said I have some Lima DMU's bits and some old coaches that will form a bit of a winter project. 

• Thanks 1

The Hornby 6 wheel vans have a 10'+10' wheelbase and length over headstocks of 30' rather than the 31' of the the stove R.

Cutting and shutting the Airfix/Dapol coaches is a quick way of producing the body and underframe. Comet (via Wizard Models) do the other u/f parts, they also do a complete kit.

Avoid the Hornby Magazine model, it is far too wide; 10' over the duckets! against 9' of the real thing. It also has undersize wheels, derails easily and has a few strange details. 

I spent too long putting these right on the one I've got.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jimwal said:

The Hornby 6 wheel vans have a 10'+10' wheelbase and length over headstocks of 30' rather than the 31' of the the stove R.

Cutting and shutting the Airfix/Dapol coaches is a quick way of producing the body and underframe. Comet (via Wizard Models) do the other u/f parts, they also do a complete kit.

Avoid the Hornby Magazine model, it is far too wide; 10' over the duckets! against 9' of the real thing. It also has undersize wheels, derails easily and has a few strange details. 

I spent too long putting these right on the one I've got.

Hi Jim

Would the wheel spacing look too wrong if a Hornby sausage van undergubbins was  used? If I see one secondhand and cheap I might give it a bash, or try building my own. I have done a scratchbuilt 6 wheel underframe for the jib runner on my brakedown crane.

I do remember Keith and Colin being very disappointed when you told them what was wrong with their new toys.