Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Northern approach to the Harbour Bridge - early

Plenty of room for Clive's 60 buses here . The tram is still in the pre 1933 livery, so the date is probably 1932-3. Some of the vehicles in the suburban electric train would still have been in service when I was there (not the ones with 3 doors - I think those are Tulloch motors, rebuilt from convertable steam stock)

The bridge is way too big to model but Wynyard tram platforms could be a serious proposition: Wynyard tram platforms

I found a whitemetal kit for an R class corridor car at the Kew Bridge tram exhibition a few years back. Someone does 3D printed O-class cars in HO but I think it was nearly £100 for the print, witrh motorisation on top . Two coupled-sets of O cars would be expensive.....

• Like 1

And a little more transport history to clarify:

Harbour Bridge under construction - 1930

On the left is the second Milson's Point station & ferry terminal, with the ferry pontoon prominent  (the original tram/train/ferry interchange was obliterated by the North Pylon of the Bridge) . The boat with the tall funnel is an inner Harbour ferry . presumably running from Milson's Point to the City at Circular Quay . The tall funnels were cut down when ferries were converted from steam to diesel in the 1950s

This second Milson's Point station was converted into carriage sidings and replaced by the third Milson's Point station (where the photo in the previous post was taken) when the new line across the Bridge opened in 1932

And here is the preserved set of single deckers climbing out of Lavender Bay carriage sidings (ie the second, temporary Milsons Point station) to join the current North Shore line at Waverton, 80 odd years after the preceding photo... Sydney single deck subuurbans

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There is another bus thread, copper tape as a bus. It sounds a great scratchbuilding exercise. No planning the mega bridge for all my buses tonight but I drove trains. No DMUs either. A couple of operator errors. A wee bit of dirty track here and there where I haven't had a good run for a few weeks and one loco didn't want to play to start with.

How about a Dream Wife

I am sure Mr P will demand some photos......no sign of the photographer or the lady in boots.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There is another bus thread, copper tape as a bus. It sounds a great scratchbuilding exercise. No planning the mega bridge for all my buses tonight but I drove trains. No DMUs either. A couple of operator errors. A wee bit of dirty track here and there where I haven't had a good run for a few weeks and one loco didn't want to play to start with.

How about a Dream Wife

I am sure Mr P will demand some photos......no sign of the photographer or the lady in boots.

Just the Lady in Boots will do...……...……..Can I buy a packet of …...………..umm, I'll call back later.:nono::notme::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Only a little bit of running tonight. My new LMS rake of coaches.....more about them later.

Today I took delivery of eight new carriages. A Bachy LNER Thompson SK for my LNER train, a LMS BS for my Hornby LMS non gangway train (it now has brake coaches each end), four Airfix/Mainline/Dapol LMS CKs and two Tri-ang Thompson SKs.

The two Tri-ang Tomos were purchased as they were the cheapest coaches with Tri-ang Mk1 roofs and underframes which are needed for other ongoing models. I was going to use the sides to make a Gresley Tourist Buffet coach. The Tomos' windies are lower down than the Gresely tourist buffet and a fraction too long so the plan is for me to either make a Thompson Buffet or a Thompson open second. I have a MJT roof which I understand to be close to the LNER profile, chassis no big deal, LNER bogies I have some spare, coach ends plastic card. If I go for the SO then I will attempt to scratch build a Gresley Tourist Buffet.

The LMS coaches, one will remain as it is, and one will stay as a composite but with a little reworking to a porthole version. I know you can buy the Bachmann Porthole coaches but at £15 for a new Dapol one compared to £50 for a Bachmann, I think it is worth a bash. The other two are ear marked to become seconds, this will involve making them shorter, 57 ft from 60 ft by reducing the size of the compartments at the first class end. One will become a post war coach with the additional doors on the corridor side. One of the two brake seconds I have may become a later version with the loo at the end not the middle as modelled.

When I have the LMs and LNER trains running, I will then divert my attention to making a pair of excursion trains, one made up from LMS open coaches and one from of LNER ones.

The ex LMS coaches din't 'alf look dapper behind a Peak as they whizzed around the play room.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Doc

Don't tell Andy but I ain't gotta clue what he was on about ....I am far too innocent. :pardon:

Hand knitted woollen ones in your day Old Boy?:yes:

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Only a little bit of running tonight. My new LMS rake of coaches.....more about them later.

Today I took delivery of eight new carriages. A Bachy LNER Thompson SK for my LNER train, a LMS BS for my Hornby LMS non gangway train (it now has brake coaches each end), four Airfix/Mainline/Dapol LMS CKs and two Tri-ang Thompson SKs.

The two Tri-ang Tomos were purchased as they were the cheapest coaches with Tri-ang Mk1 roofs and underframes which are needed for other ongoing models. I was going to use the sides to make a Gresley Tourist Buffet coach. The Tomos' windies are lower down than the Gresely tourist buffet and a fraction too long so the plan is for me to either make a Thompson Buffet or a Thompson open second. I have a MJT roof which I understand to be close to the LNER profile, chassis no big deal, LNER bogies I have some spare, coach ends plastic card. If I go for the SO then I will attempt to scratch build a Gresley Tourist Buffet.

The LMS coaches, one will remain as it is, and one will stay as a composite but with a little reworking to a porthole version. I know you can buy the Bachmann Porthole coaches but at £15 for a new Dapol one compared to £50 for a Bachmann, I think it is worth a bash. The other two are ear marked to become seconds, this will involve making them shorter, 57 ft from 60 ft by reducing the size of the compartments at the first class end. One will become a post war coach with the additional doors on the corridor side. One of the two brake seconds I have may become a later version with the loo at the end not the middle as modelled.

When I have the LMs and LNER trains running, I will then divert my attention to making a pair of excursion trains, one made up from LMS open coaches and one from of LNER ones.

The ex LMS coaches din't 'alf look dapper behind a Peak as they whizzed around the play room.

The Dapol LMS CK scrubs up nicely with a few detailing bits underneath. Still a lot cheaper than Bachmann -   CKD LMS compo

I know what you need for Christmas - a large aerosol spray can of BR Maroon , another one of multiple unit green , and some transfers .

Get your ModelMaster BR coach-lining transfers now - I understand he is stopping production of railway transfers  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

The Dapol LMS CK scrubs up nicely with a few detailing bits underneath. Still a lot cheaper than Bachmann -   CKD LMS compo

I know what you need for Christmas - a large aerosol spray can of BR Maroon , another one of multiple unit green , and some transfers .

Get your ModelMaster BR coach-lining transfers now - I understand he is stopping production of railway transfers  

The Airfix/Mainline/Dapol LMS coaches are showing their age but with a little bit of work they can be made into "layout coaches" and if you want to make the types not made RTR then they are a lot cheaper to cut about.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Airfix/Mainline/Dapol LMS coaches are showing their age but with a little bit of work they can be made into "layout coaches" and if you want to make the types not made RTR then they are a lot cheaper to cut about.

I admit one reason I bought one was that I ought to have a little blood-and-custard in the fleet and was chickening out on doing the livery myself. I can't match Dapol's finish. 

On the other had , I stand a sporting chance of getting a result with a single colour livery like maroon (or rail blue)  , and a spraycan. There is a reason why the DC Kits Cravens is scheduled to be done ahead of the 114.....

However all you need to do is get a can of green and start on your DMUs. As you've used Triang coaches flushglaze for your Cravens should be available

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They do indeed respond to a little beauty treatment. I've got a set of half-a-dozen that I flushglazed and repainted years ago. I don't mix them up with my newer Hornbys but as a rake they look fine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Things never go as planned. I went into the play room to do some more work on the Kirk kit Gresely coaches I have started. I ended up using bits left over from other conversions. I have been cutting out the parts for two Gresley coaches, an all door SK (a 61 ft one) and a GE section 52 ft FK from the old Hornby Gresleys. I still have enough bits to have a go at making a TSO. Found 5 more Gresley coach bogies and the coupling from the Replica powered coach chassis that is under the MBS of my class 305 unit. I fixed the body of the same coach as well.

The LMS set of coaches were hauled this afternoon by a Class 47, I have loads of 47s but very rarely run them as they and other type 4s are a bit big to just be pulling six coaches. It did look good with a Black Five pulling a rake of Mk1s the opposite way.

I cannot believe I have been on this planet for 62 years today so as a birthday treat for you all, here is one of the best songs ever.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Or forget about that.....  and just put black & white film in your camera :huh:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I cannot believe I have been on this planet for 62 years today.

May one be permitted to enquire which planet you were on before that?

Edited by ian
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Things never go as planned. I went into the play room to do some more work on the Kirk kit Gresely coaches I have started. I ended up using bits left over from other conversions. I have been cutting out the parts for two Gresley coaches, an all door SK (a 61 ft one) and a GE section 52 ft FK from the old Hornby Gresleys. I still have enough bits to have a go at making a TSO. Found 5 more Gresley coach bogies and the coupling from the Replica powered coach chassis that is under the MBS of my class 305 unit. I fixed the body of the same coach as well.

The LMS set of coaches were hauled this afternoon by a Class 47, I have loads of 47s but very rarely run them as they and other type 4s are a bit big to just be pulling six coaches. It did look good with a Black Five pulling a rake of Mk1s the opposite way.

I cannot believe I have been on this planet for 62 years today so as a birthday treat for you all, here is one of the best songs ever.

Ha ha ha - I'll always be a year and 12 days older than you AND YOU'LL NEVER CATCH UP!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ha ha ha - I'll always be a year and 12 days older than you AND YOU'LL NEVER CATCH UP!

And I’m roughly mid way between you. 56/7 was a good vintage!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2