Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been experimenting with the camera on the phone thingy I was given.

004a.jpg.8e54afb4072a2799ecc50d7e06cf02ab.jpg

The station pilot, a 4F resting between a Met-Cam on a Leeds service and a Derby unit on a Barnsley local.

007a.jpg.c5a890a373c5293bb06fa75056a3f766.jpg

Diesels being serviced in the new stabling point.

You’re making me go all gooey eyed for more green on my (mainly) blue layout!

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After the arrival of the Sheffield portion of the Cardiff to Newcastle postal, which had a English Electric Type 4 on the front  we saw a 3 car unit on a Wakefield via Doncaster service enter the station. Sadly unlike the big diesel the unit wasn't a cop.  

As I model make I have two six coach suburban trains running one from Huddersfield with a Stainer Mogul at its head and the other from Cleethorpes has a K3  towing it. 

I am starting to put the coach sides together. The short FK has been done. Waiting on the solvent of the SK to harden then I can put the ends on. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

After the arrival of the Sheffield portion of the Cardiff to Newcastle postal, which had a English Electric Type 4 on the front  we saw a 3 car unit on a Wakefield via Doncaster service enter the station. Sadly unlike the big diesel the unit wasn't a cop.  

As I model make I have two six coach suburban trains running one from Huddersfield with a Stainer Mogul at its head and the other from Cleethorpes has a K3  towing it. 

I am starting to put the coach sides together. The short FK has been done. Waiting on the solvent of the SK to harden then I can put the ends on. 

Should it have a couple of fish vans on the back??? Immingham K3s and fish vans go together.

And is your Grimsby - Manchester the back working of the Manchester - Cleethorpes newspapers?

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Should it have a couple of fish vans on the back??? Immingham K3s and fish vans go together.

And is your Grimsby - Manchester the back working of the Manchester - Cleethorpes newspapers?

Now there is a thought, not all my parcels trains need be parcels. I forgot that Manchester printed the daily papers as well as Fleet Street in the good old days before Murdock and the Current Bun.

I use to like seeing Action Pact, pity they didn't make it big they were great fun to know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now there is a thought, not all my parcels trains need be parcels. I forgot that Manchester printed the daily papers as well as Fleet Street in the good old days before Murdock and the Current Bun.

I use to like seeing Action Pact, pity they didn't make it big they were great fun to know.

A very long time ago (summer 1978) I went off to a scout camp on Guernsey. 

We came back via the 01:05 off Kings Cross  - an old-style night train with the front half of the train parcels vans , Deltic on the front, long stops at all sorts of places, and Mk1 compartment stock. (That was the only time I got Deltic haulage - we went out to Sydney 9 months later and by the time we finally came back Deltics had gone) 

we bailed out at Retford and waited in the twilight on the low-level platform for what I later learnt was the Manchester-Cleethorpes newspaper train, hauled by 37 172 and running the old MSL route via Sheffield and Lincoln Central. dep Retford 04:30,  arrival Grimsby Town about half past 6  

So yes, that one was definitely a mixed newspapers/passenger train and went through Sheffield. How they got the vans back to Manchester I don't know... hence my suggestion

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I seem to remember that up to around 1970 the Manchester to Cleethorpes parcels worked via Woodhead (with a diesel), and split at Penistone with a portion for Sheffield. The main working then carried on to Doncaster, whether via Barnsley or along the electric line and Worsborough I don't know. Be interesting if anyone could confirm or refute this, or indeed add more detail.

John.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As I enjoy some cheese and biscuits with a coffee, am watching a standard 4  working towards Sheffield with a train of LMS non-gangway coaches (converted Airfix/Dapol lavatory non-gangways) from Bradford. Also heading towards Sheffield is a Leeds Via Doncaster is  recently transferred N2 (complete with its London condensing gear) coupled to a  train formed of ex LNER non gangway coaches, lucky for these passengers  two of the coaches have access to toilets. At least when these stopper services are handed over to the new diesel railcars all passengers will be able to spend a penny. 

I didn't sing along to the words as suggested by Augusta 

Work continues with assembling the sides of the LNER coaches I have cut up.

Why is it, I either have too much cheese or butter, or too many biscuits or I run out of one of them.....on the last two biscuits there was a very very thin scraping of butter. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Trying something different tonight, running a train out of the station one way and a train from the fuddle yard the other, making the one out the station go into the lone in the yard. Normally I run two from the station into both yards or two form the yards. The postal is on its way back to Manchester as a 8 car DMU lash up heads the opposite way across the Pennines. 

Almost glued up the sides to the Gresley Open Second. 

There was a live version of this song with Kate Nash on You Tube but that has been taken down, pity it was very good as Kellie and Payton played it on guitars. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Any chance of some Chuffer or Brum Brum pics or Videos young Clive, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not seeing multi coloured coaches with no glass, drivers or bodies inside.:fie:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2019 at 22:29, Andrew P said:

Any chance of some Chuffer or Brum Brum pics or Videos young Clive, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not seeing multi coloured coaches with no glass, drivers or bodies inside.:fie:

Patience my dear friend.

Gonna 'ave some more multi-coloured coaches with no seats for the passengers and glass. That nice St Enodoc chap has sent me a box load of Tri-ang bits. Plan is a TSO diagram 92 (that is the early one with no middle door), a TSO 93 or 89, a BSO diagram 183, possibly a FO diagram 72 (that is the one with the middle door which opens on to a seating bay) and a BSK as Tri-ang intended or a CK as Tri-ang intended and a FBK diagram 161. All to go with my Griddle Car.

A cheerful song coincidentally by a fella from where the coaches came from. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Patience my dear friend.

Gonna 'ave some more multi-coloured coaches with no seats for the passengers and glass. That nice St Enodoc chap has sent me a box load of Tri-ang bits. Plan is a TSO diagram 92 (that is the early one with no middle door), a TSO 93 or 89, a BSO diagram 183, possibly a FO diagram 72 (that is the one with the middle door which opens on to a seating bay) and a BSK as Tri-ang intended or a CK as Tri-ang intended and a FBK diagram 161. All to go with my Griddle Car.

A cheerful song consistently by a fella from where the coaches came from. 

Didn't know Nick Cave was from Margate (there is one in Queensland though).

Cue Tommy Cooper joke: "My doctor told me Margate was good for rheumatism, so I went there and caught it".

I thank you.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Preparing for the rush hour as the platforms fill with commuter trains.

002.jpg.2de852be38482f5304986dbc4c9e0275.jpg

003.jpg.cd773e922fd7e09f6637ee5cedeb1b3c.jpg

004.jpg.dc52d3a3e47279f69b0fd0970e3e9e63.jpg

What is it with some people. Mr Manufacturer puts up his EP(?) model expecting comments. When I say it looks like what I trod in while mowing the lawn as I didn't clean up properly, people get all shirty. "How dare you say these things, it is better than sliced bread." Sorry wrong is wrong. I know because I can make things wrong, but I am not selling them as authentic scale models. I am making them for fun.

In the above photos there are seven "Clive " made things and four others that were built by someone else not Mr Manufacturer.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Chill Clive. Mr Manufacturer is not worth getting in discussions with if he/she can't accept constructive criticism. What is ER by the way? (Not her majesticness I suspect).

Now then, will trains run tomorrow or is there bad news?

Mad Duck

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Mayday mayday. Duck has had fuel flap failure and can't take off.....so sorry.

P

You get up early, vacuum the house, clean the bog etc. because you have a visitor.   What does he do but go and break his motor.  So I had to play trains by myself today.

I will endeavor not to make the house dirty ready for when Mr Duck has had his car fixed and comes and visits.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You get up early, vacuum the house, clean the bog etc. because you have a visitor.   What does he do but go and break his motor.  So I had to play trains by myself today.

I will endeavor not to make the house dirty ready for when Mr Duck has had his car fixed and comes and visits.

So sorry. DCC failure.

P

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst having my lunch I have two trains slowly going around the layout. I also have Let's Eat Grandma playing in the background. I started to hear a clicking noise, which train has gone wrong now? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIUn8AS4_A&pbjreload=10

The clicking noise stopped after a few minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

What can be better than modelling, still doing my LNER coaches, running trains, 2 car DMU on its way to Barnsley and a five coach non-gngway with a class 4 4-6-0 off to Halifax and listening to Spoitfy "Made for You, Daily Mix", Jesus and the Mary Chain, X, The Raincoats, Bikini Kill, The Flaming Groovies and The Cramps amoungst many other excellent bands.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Sounds great Clive. I always like to listen to music while modeling.

(I saw the Cramps as a support act to the Police, they had just released Roxanne. Still got Human Fly 12 inch EP)

The Cramps were one of the best rock and roll bands ever, it was a very sad day when Lux died.

• Like 2

Hi Clive,

Here is some DMU action as I've been having a sort out. Some of the models are slightly more started (ie. less finished) than others !

DSCF0748.JPG.daf20e87393bfee8a87d6b79ea91b98e.JPG

Swindon 123 (Triang Mk1's/Lima), BRCW 110(Hornby), BRCW 104 (Hornby 110 Conversion), Park Royal 103 (Hornby 110 conversion), Gloucester 128-(Hornby Mk2/Lima), Cravens 129 (Triang Mk1/Hornby).

DSCF0749.JPG.6f304bcab34bc5914b018cdc683dd9ef.JPG

Metro Cammel 101, Derby 108, Cravens 105 (X3), Derby Light Weight, (DC Kits with Lima power bogies except for the DLW which has a Hornby power bogie).

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1