Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

5 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Beanz has no place in breakfast?! I feel a disagreement coming on. That all looks amazing! 

My Dear Mr Goldfish,

Beans are an Americanism, as are hash browns and waffles, no doubt with grated cheese sprinkled over the whole, such an additions convert the English Breakfast into an American Breakfast. The addition of Haggis converts the English Breakfast into a Scottish Breakfast. There is nothing wrong with such concoctions other than the misuse of terms when naming such.

A continental Breakfast is beyond the scope of this discussion for it seems to me to more comparable with a cream tea than a proper breakfast.

I don't make the rules I just follow them.

P3200454.JPG.43ba80b3f7c202957f48f0dd90ed7255.JPG

Liver and onions, jacket potato, beetroot and kale with vinegar.

Gibbo.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Why do HK buses generally have 3 axles?

Other than that, they look very British.

The extra axle is to cope with the extra weight of the longer bus filled with passengers.

And as for looking British - most of them were either built here or assembled from parts that we shipped out.

Mind you - that was before it reverted to Chinese ownership.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I prefer beans not tinned tomatoes with me breakie, when I have cooked breakfast. Unfortunately a cooked breakfast is a rare thing as I am trying to keep the belly under control, this morning it was two slices of toast with a thin spread of some veggie stuff that is pretending to be butter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I prefer beans not tinned tomatoes with me breakie, when I have cooked breakfast. Unfortunately a cooked breakfast is a rare thing as I am trying to keep the belly under control, this morning it was two slices of toast with a thin spread of some veggie stuff that is pretending to be butter.

Hi Clive,

Have you ever considered that one of the fattiest commercially available meats is lamb ?

Lambs eat grass which is a type of salad, point proved that salad does indeed make you fat !

Gibbo.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

And in other news,:D Clive's beard is auditioning for a job on the 24th December, can't think what that might be though, but it could involve Toys, Trains and Lingerie. :laugh:

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Do you think Clive might like to change the title of his thread to that. 

Might garner some extra followers :lol:

Watch out Chaps with all this talk of beards and lingerie we might end up with this sort of carry on:

https://www.contrado.co.uk/stores/contradodesigns/hairy-knickers/knickers-62179

And what good would that be ?

Here is a picture of a half built DMU to get us back on track both literally and metaphorically:

DSCF0788.JPG.8f681d5818db19daa9660c4116fc2a28.JPG

As craven lunacy goes I think it more in keeping with the spirit of the thread !

Gibbo.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

And in other news,:D Clive's beard is auditioning for a job on the 24th December, can't think what that might be though, but it could involve Toys, Trains and Lingerie. :laugh:

A friend of mine use to work in a ladies underwear department and she reckoned out of all the Xmas sales to men, 50% of the purchases were never worn by the intended lady and 45% were worn by the blokes buying them.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A friend of mine use to work in a ladies underwear department and she reckoned out of all the Xmas sales to men, 50% of the purchases were never worn by the intended lady and 45% were worn by the blokes buying them.

Hi Clive,

I take it that the chaps buying all this stuff didn't have Japanese girlfriends that played in bands that you like listening to ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So what happened to the other 5%?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I take it that the chaps buying all this stuff didn't have Japanese girlfriends that played in bands that you like listening to ?

Gibbo.

Maybe.

I can't remember when we last saw this one,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That table applies to ALL wires - even DC.

It's just because DCC only uses two wires it needs to be bigger to compensate for all the small wires you need for DC...………...

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been running some trains, nothing too exciting, I did get my old Lima BRCW Type 2  conversion running at 110 mph with seven on the back. I gave another BRCW product a run as well, my class 104 4 car unit. :locomotive:

I have also been busy cutting Tri-ang sides up, I have cut the parts out for a diagram 72 First Open. With Hornby doing the diagram 73 FO and Bachmann doing the RFO diagram 36, which has the same body as the diagram 71 FO, I cannot see a RTR diagram 72 being made. I have also marked out the sides ready for cutting a BFK diagram 161 and gathered some let overs to bodge a BSO diagram 183 (I know Hornby make one but at £45 compared to nuffing, thanks to St Enodoc, and more fun than opening a box, I am a winner). :sungum:

To top the lot today, my baseboard bashing wood together method has made Mrs M happy. Well earlier today she broke the table she had in the tack room down the stables. It was a cheap computer desk which I was quite surprise survived the journey from Essex to here. Anyhow I made a new table form the surplus wood I had from over estimating and ordering when I built Sheff Ex. :good:

Tonight's song is a wee bit different, I really like Frazey Ford's singing voice.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, richard i said:

If your taking orders, we could do with a bookcase for the kids, floor to ceiling would be great. Nothing fancy, just some fluting on the legs and perhaps a set of glass doors. 

Richard

I can build them in a 2 by 1 with chipboard top baseboard style beyond that my carpentry skills leave a lot to be desired.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, newbryford said:

That table applies to ALL wires - even DC.

It's just because DCC only uses two wires it needs to be bigger to compensate for all the small wires you need for DC...………...

As an apprentice with the CEGB I knew how to work out what size wires and voltage are required to supply the electrickery for a town that is x miles from the national grid substation, consuming y amount of power at 4 pm on a weekday in December with the potential of the town increasing by 75% over the next 40 years when the supply infrastructure will possibly need replacing. Was there a need to show off with their technical knowledge when the guy asked would surplus mains cable be suitable as the bus for his layout? Have you seen his layout plan? A simple yes would have been helpful. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As an apprentice with the CEGB I knew how to work out what size wires and voltage are required to supply the electrickery for a town that is x miles from the national grid substation, consuming y amount of power at 4 pm on a weekday in December with the potential of the town increasing by 75% over the next 40 years when the supply infrastructure will possibly need replacing. Was there a need to show off with their technical knowledge when the guy asked would surplus mains cable be suitable as the bus for his layout? Have you seen his layout plan? A simple yes would have been helpful. 

Yes...…...

It would.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Except a mains cable has 3 wires, so the extra one could be confusing.

That thought had crossed my mind, not only an extra C but one more wire than is needed. I am off for a lie down as it is far too confusing. :crazy:

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

You can get two core mains cable...……….

(For double insulated stuff)

Wow that has taken a weight of my mind, no more worries about where to put the third wire. :yes:

Please no rude suggestions from you lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As an apprentice with the CEGB I knew how to work out what size wires and voltage are required to supply the electrickery for a town that is x miles from the national grid substation, consuming y amount of power at 4 pm on a weekday in December with the potential of the town increasing by 75% over the next 40 years when the supply infrastructure will possibly need replacing. 

And that sounds like exactly the wire I need, what size Scotchlok do I need

Edited by woodenhead
  • Funny 2