Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

And it comes on a handy spool too, I can stick it on a broomstick and roll it when I need some.

The way I see it, the bigger the wire the less I have to worry about if it is big enough.

You might have seen my latest handiwork, I was responsible for keeping all the high voltage stuff clean and safe at Didcot this morning, all in all it went perfectly to plan up until the sparks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-49375917

• Like 1

tonight is this

20190818_184843.jpg.d07a189cce121a22fc51e2084ce0a558.jpg

and quite a lot of this

20190818_182836.jpg.2df718e17038b50f0cd95e7828dd2805.jpg

entirely by coincidence I happened to be wearing a black t-shirt which seemed to go down quite well.  No other westerners to be seen although it is peaceful at the moment.  

an hour and a half later, they were still leaving the area... no idea what size the crowd was

20190818_194151_Richtone(HDR).jpg.41a38f84d64fcaa875c0ce5efd81da21.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

no idea what size the crowd was

By the looks of things bigger then D Trump's inauguration crowd.

Steak looked nice.

I would be genuinely worried if I was out there at present, but it looks from the crowd that there are flashpoints then everybody moves on in an orderly fashion.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I feel safer in this crowd than I do in my home town centre any night of the week.  No one is drunk and angry, and the police are staying away at the moment.

It's mentioned here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49386298

It's not the protestors I am worried about.

From what I've seen it is respectful protesting about human rights and freedoms, not the western style of we will protest by smashing stuff up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

where to put the third wire.

It’s for the earth connection to the remote booster (a DCC term so apologies for compromising the integrity of this topic).

Paul.

;-)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

tonight is this

20190818_184843.jpg.d07a189cce121a22fc51e2084ce0a558.jpg

and quite a lot of this

20190818_182836.jpg.2df718e17038b50f0cd95e7828dd2805.jpg

entirely by coincidence I happened to be wearing a black t-shirt which seemed to go down quite well.  No other westerners to be seen although it is peaceful at the moment.  

an hour and a half later, they were still leaving the area... no idea what size the crowd was

20190818_194151_Richtone(HDR).jpg.41a38f84d64fcaa875c0ce5efd81da21.jpg

I have been on protest marches where everything was peaceful. I have then watched the news and they have reported on angry clashes with the police and protesters. The reality is most of the march was peaceful, but the press got lucky and filmed a flare up and that is what is reported. 

I did attend one protest in Chelmsford where there was a minor clash and a chap was arrested. I noticed the police officers were not displaying their numbers. I challenged the officer in charge knowing they should be showing their numbers so they can be identified if a complaint was made. The officer in charge first said they didn't have to. With that the news cameraman said I was right and he had on film what the officer in charge had said. The officer in charge then made some excuse that the police had to borrow their yellow tops form other officers quickly and didn't have time to put their numbers on. Funny how the law doesn't always apply to those enforcing it.

I did get caught on the telly attending an Anti Nazi League march, next morning I was in front of the colonel "How long have you been a member of the communist party?" There I am in the crowd.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

It’s for the earth connection to the remote booster (a DCC term so apologies for compromising the integrity of this topic).

Paul.

;-)

Now you've confused Clive - his catchphrase will now be "it's only three wires"...…………….

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been on protest marches where everything was peaceful. I have then watched the news and they have reported on angry clashes with the police and protesters. The reality is most of the march was peaceful, but the press got lucky and filmed a flare up and that is what is reported. 

I did attend one protest in Chelmsford where there was a minor clash and a chap was arrested. I noticed the police officers were not displaying their numbers. I challenged the officer in charge knowing they should be showing their numbers so they can be identified if a complaint was made. The officer in charge first said they didn't have to. With that the news cameraman said I was right and he had on film what the officer in charge had said. The officer in charge then made some excuse that the police had to borrow their yellow tops form other officers quickly and didn't have time to put their numbers on. Funny how the law doesn't always apply to those enforcing it.

Hi Clive,

Here is the Police Oath,

"I, ... of ... do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law."

The concealment of collar numbers is an offence of statute, which is not law unless you contract with it, but as they contract to be Police Constables they are in breach of that contract of which the oath binds their conduct in law. The use of mischeif in contracts is against the law as stated in Black's Law Dictionary's definitions of law of which their are only five laws, all else is contract.

As noted above they knew full well what they were doing and were criminal in their actions as a result !

All Police are Constables until they make contract with you, and then they assume the office of police and call themselves Police Officers which they need to do so as to create the fraud that you are somehow responsible for a contract that they have assumed you to be liable for in commerce while at the same time your having not:

1. Killed anyone.
  2. Harmed anyone.
  3. Stolen anything.
  4. Damaged anything.
  5. Used mischeif in a contract (fraud).

What else could we expect from the Crown Corporation of the City of London ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 17/08/2019 at 10:19, Gibbo675 said:

My Dear Mr Goldfish,

Beans are an Americanism, as are hash browns and waffles, no doubt with grated cheese sprinkled over the whole, such an additions convert the English Breakfast into an American Breakfast. The addition of Haggis converts the English Breakfast into a Scottish Breakfast. There is nothing wrong with such concoctions other than the misuse of terms when naming such.

A continental Breakfast is beyond the scope of this discussion for it seems to me to more comparable with a cream tea than a proper breakfast.

I don't make the rules I just follow them.

P3200454.JPG.43ba80b3f7c202957f48f0dd90ed7255.JPG

Liver and onions, jacket potato, beetroot and kale with vinegar.

Gibbo.

Far from being an Americanism, baked beans were first marketed by Fortnum & Mason of London in 1906 as a luxury delicacy.  To most Americans they are a rather weird British thing . I've rarely met an American who has even tasted them and I spend a lot of time in the States.

• Informative/Useful 5

7 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Far from being an Americanism, baked beans were first marketed by Fortnum & Mason of London in 1906 as a luxury delicacy.  To most Americans they are a rather weird British thing . I've rarely met an American who has even tasted them and I spend a lot of time in the States.

Hi Denbridge,

As I understand it the Fortnum and Mason offering of 1906 was a derivative of various bean recipes from the north eastern United States and Canada using home grown and locally sourced produce which is why they are a unknown in what may be termed their British form in the US.

I did once work with a chap from Arizona and he referred to Baked Beans as Fried Beans but said the sauce was different to the British ones.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Denbridge,

As I understand it the Fortnum and Mason offering of 1906 was a derivative of various bean recipes from the north eastern United States and Canada using home grown and locally sourced produce which is why they are a unknown in what may be termed their British form in the US.

I did once work with a chap from Arizona and he referred to Baked Beans as Fried Beans but said the sauce was different to the British ones.

Gibbo.

Quite possibly. But ive yet to meet an American who has eaten anything like baked beans. The nearest are various derivations of campfire stew, which use a sauce more like gravy and are certainly meat based. They just don't understand or like baked beans, especially as part of breakfast. Mind you, they eat some weird stuff too, haha.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Biscuits and gravy.  Which is neither biscuits, nor gravy.

I had a good mooch along to Admiralty with the protesters, and there didn't seem to be any trouble.  A lot of shouting and waving of laser pointers.  and one man with a Union Jack, hurrah! 

20190818_214228.jpg.5e7e098e223a3fd325117d949a524648.jpg

This is the bridge just adjacent to the Central Government complex... the whole area was cordoned off with water barriers

20190818_235556.jpg.0ece0cad2a4bcbf2874a57094b9c08d6.jpg

one more full day here, then I fly back to the democratic UK.... har har

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 of your favourites on Eastleigh Station this morning Clive, and not a Guitar between them, but 1 with a Smog mask, or just didn't want to be recognised.:laugh:

DSCF2610.JPG.1027a221f9897b9157b60e96cb28e280.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
add?
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

6 of your favourites on Eastleigh Station this morning Clive, and not a Guitar between them, but 1 with a Smog mask, or just didn't want to be recognised.:laugh:

DSCF2610.JPG.1027a221f9897b9157b60e96cb28e280.JPG

There were rumours of an old man with a camera, who had been eating baked beans for breakfast so she wasn't taking any risk.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Gritz. 'Nuff said.

I have heard of Gritz but by the sound of it I am pleased I do not know what they or it is.

Now when Richard was living in the states he got me all excited with these.....I do hope he has remembered to bring some to the UK for me to try.

stick.png.f1d1e3f5ec8653df85411a9e517177cc.png

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I did get caught on the telly attending an Anti Nazi League march, next morning I was in front of the colonel "How long have you been a member of the communist party?" There I am in the crowd.

I was there...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The sides to the FO are assembled, the BFK are cut and sub assemblies drying. The BSO are cut and the TSO to diagram 91 marked out. I have enough bits left over to do 2 TSOs or SKs and another BSO. That still leaves me two over length BGs......possible post office coaches, as suggested earlier a diagram 722 POT and now another possibility a diagram 723 BPOT.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The first BSO is now done, well sides glued back together, the BFK is also done. The diagram 91 TSO has been cut. The second BSO is ready for cutting.

While I have been muddling, I have run 15 different Brush type 2s, one Airfix, one Tri-ang with a Lima motor, six Lima, and the remainder Tri-ang, of which one is double motored. I made sure they were all hauling trains, except one. Those without couplings that last year ran on their own I bodged a wire coupling hung on the buffers, only to drop it at the end of the session and blow if I can find it. On the outside track was last nights seven coach express, every now and then it derailed and the brand new Bachmann CK was always involved no matter which way round it run and where in the train....investigations will be happening. The other train was my four wheeled van train pulled out its box. That too had a few derailments, a Dapol LMS van seemed to be the culprit. It did look good with the two Tri-ang locos that have the inter loco gangways deployed. The express looked good with a Tri-ang loco up front. 

I am going to look at the Airfix loco as I think it has motor bogie mounting problems, like I found and repaired on a few last year. The double motored Tri-ang loco was the one that did not run with a train as it has no coupling or buffers to hang the improvised coupling. One loco in the box didn't run, it is being remotored with a Hornby ringfield, it doesn't have the wire to like the pick up bogie to the motor one, and I was too lazy to bodge something. All the Tri-ang locos had pick up problems with the points on the mainline but after a few laps the problem was less of an issue. Considering these locos have not run since last years big test none needed oiling and only one was reluctant to start at the beginning but even that improved after a short run.

One of the songs on tonight's suggested songs by Spotify.

What can be better than running trains, modelling, listening to music and taking a break to eat apple pie and custard.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have heard of Gritz but by the sound of it I am pleased I do not know what they or it is.

Now when Richard was living in the states he got me all excited with these.....I do hope he has remembered to bring some to the UK for me to try.

stick.png.f1d1e3f5ec8653df85411a9e517177cc.png

I'll see your "Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick" and raise you a Dagwood Dog (figuratively speaking):

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/dagwood-dog/