Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Most people tell me to take of the ugly mask I am wearing. They soon shout "Put it back on" when I do.

Toy trains is the object of this forum so I think we have been told. I am going to do this in three post as there a lot of photos. The train past our intrepid photographer going to the seaside, and by luck on its way home so he was able to get photos of both sides of the new carriages.

The loco taking the passengers to the coast was a Class 25/0 or it will be when finished.

100_5849a.jpg.99169503274c9acdf4cb6de4f94f6955.jpg

Hornby model still quite a lot to do but I have done all the removing of bits it no longer requires.

On the way home, back to their bleak dark midlands industrial towns the loco was a Class 37.

100_5858a.jpg.b15637b576badc11992cc5d17e4ad4a8.jpg

The body was one I had forgotten about, and needs some work on it. The chassis has white metal English Electric sides to the Tri-ang bogies and the fuel and water tanks are from a Lima loco. It ran reasonably, I will give it a good thrash tomorrow night. 

The leading coach was a Brake Second Open.

100_5850a.jpg.fcc455076214d9eb849696ceaa5f1dcb.jpg

100_5859a.jpg.588c11ae0f2a100e1b718ab287979fa0.jpg

Made from a BSK, with additional windows from the spare CK and the bits pile.

Second coach is a Tourist Second Open built to diagram 91 92. It is an early built carriage and has no central door unlike the later and more numerous TSOs. 

100_5851a.jpg.8be38d3565048c191e797137d54debca.jpg

This side was made mainly from the spare CK.

100_5860a.jpg.cdab35e72cda2fb63cf338b961ca56cd.jpg

The other side used the passenger end of one of UDJ's BSKs, with a bit out the pile.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

The train was hauled both directions as photographed it, I could have pushed the coaches but that would be silly. While taking the photos I had some apple pie and custard.

With stickers on the windows saying "For use by second class ticket holders" we have a First Open to diagram 72. The central door opening on to a seating bay was not popular with the passengers. Well if you had paid for a first class seat and at Bedford on got Doug and Brenda with their two sons, " This is first class Doug are we allowed to get on this carriage?" "We will get on and walk down the train" as Doug bashes the seated passenger with his suitcase. 

100_5852a.jpg.6420055b7fc25c024cb1a29a155b30d8.jpg

The side with the toilets, both sides being very similar.

100_5861a.jpg.4696acd23843e88bce6a5a75be22657e.jpg

And the "corridor side", inside this was the side with the single seats. It was made from two of St Enodoc'c CKs using teh first class passenger ends. The central door with its two quarter lights either side isn't 100%, the windows should be a tad closer to the door. I left that gap as modelled by Tri-ang because taking the 1/2 mm off either side of the door would have meant fiddling around with five small parts. I don't think any one will notice once (if) it is finished.

Coach four was not part of this building program but will be included in this train, It is the Griddle Car, or better know as Joseph owing to its coat of many colours.

100_5853a.jpg.7163890c18f4c61bc4cc54ab6d91098f.jpg

Corridor side

100_5862a.jpg.b62fc407b8e6684ca201ccda176cfc93.jpg

Kitchen side. This was made from the bits pile.

Last coach for this post a standard Tourist Open Second.

100_5854a.jpg.314c361491d19ce7a1d1c44a65977555.jpg

100_5863a.jpg.73a588fa9d6cbd96e53b9d12b4b1af51.jpg

Made from the remains of the passenger ends from John's conversion of 2 BSKs into a BG.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

We now come to the tail end of the train.

This is the second Brake Second Open and would normally be the last coach as the platforms at Sheff Ex can only hold six coaches and two locos.

100_5855a.jpg.7b0ae0fc0c516658673e669155054fe6.jpg

100_5864a.jpg.5466cb484ac32f7aca407aada31d5474.jpg

This used the windows from the second class end of the CKs that made up the FO with parts from the BFK conversion and the bits pile. This wasn't planned at first but I was wondering what to do with the left overs.

Another standard Tourist Open Second, this will be run in the train when it runs without catering coach or if it is going to arrive at platforms 4 or 5 was they can take a seven coach train.

100_5856a.jpg.89d71d8a5def6465c12a3c9592fc4c26.jpg

100_5865a.jpg.2e18bb3e32d7dc518ea7165cf43b2337.jpg

As with the other TSO it has been made with John's left overs from BG building. I did consider making both coaches a mix of Blue-grey and Maroon but resisted the temptation.  When first viewing what had arrived in the big box, I was going to use these sides to make the earlier TSO without the middle door but working out that I could do that with my spare CK and the bits from the BSK I was quite chuffed I could make another ordinary coach.

The last coach is a Brake First Corridor, it was intended to be part of the train, as an alternative to the FO and one of the BSOs with the "extra" TSO. It is also earmarked to replace a Gresley BCK in another set when I am running trains in the later part of my time period and the Gresley's would have been withdrawn.

100_5857a.jpg.aaf1e4ba7770a488897a70c754537700.jpg

The corridor side

100_5866a.jpg.561f88a8c5429e8bc549e99c9242eb7b.jpg

The compartment side, the bulk of this conversion was from the first class end of a CK and the brake end of BSK. the additional bits come from the spare CK.

All that picture taking was done with Ex Hex playing in the background.

to add an out
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Your cutting and shutting has led me to this site http://www.eastbank.org.uk/br_coaches.htm

And now when someone asks were there every any Mk2 Air Conditioned buffets I can answer yes, there were two:

image.png.290413d3a1fb352b199f38a42b9c5347.png

Hi W-H,

I had previously come across the site you have linked and there are some interesting coaches on there, thanks for the link I had forgotten about it it until now.

The corridor lounge is a strange arrangement and is definitely of its time with the swivel chairs and glass compartment walls.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

I like your 'cut & shut' mk1's. I believe the difference between SO and TSO was the number of seats, the former having 48 and the latter 64. I don't suppose you have any need for a 'boat' open second, as used by the Southern on their boat trains, when such trains needed three classes. It was basically one of your dia 92 SO's with a door into the seating bay fourth from the toilet end. The door was as per your dia 72 FO.

Stephen

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, StephenB said:

I like your 'cut & shut' mk1's. I believe the difference between SO and TSO was the number of seats, the former having 48 and the latter 64. I don't suppose you have any need for a 'boat' open second, as used by the Southern on their boat trains, when such trains needed three classes. It was basically one of your dia 92 SO's with a door into the seating bay fourth from the toilet end. The door was as per your dia 72 FO.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Thank you. A boat train second open has appealed to me, pity none were transferred to the ER or LMR or I would have either made one or had it on my hit list.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am sorting out my next series of cut and shuts, LMS coaches both a normal corridor train and one mainly made up of open coaches for the holiday season. I have a pile of Airfix/Mainline/Dapol corridor coaches. 

Train one will be a Brake Second Corridor to dia D1905 (as per the Airfix model), a Composite to dia D1925 (as per the Airfix model), a composite to dia D2117, post war build with two extra doors on the corridor(Airfix CK), Second corridor dia D2170 porthole (Airfix CK), Second Corridor dia D 1899 (Airfix CK) and Brake Second Corridor dia D1968 (Airfix BSK, with loo relocated and all the compartments shifted along.  

Now when I came to working out roughly where the cuts on next lot of coaches I discovered that the window spacing (compartment size) on the second brakes was longer than on the second class end of the CK. On the Brake Second Opens the bay spacing was the same as the compartment on the CK. This will mean lots of cuts to reduce the window spacing.  Had I known I could well have opted for some more CKs. That will learn me to look the the drawings in the big books I have, after all they are pictures not complicated words.

Train two will consist of a Brake Second Open to dia D 1916, (Airfix BSK with additional windows from the period II SO), Second Open to dia D1904 (Airfix CK) this coach will look different to the SK in train one as the loos are on the ends not inside of the end doors, Second Open to dia D1807 (Airfix BSK) this is a period II coach and will be new plastic card window strip mounted on the body of the donor coach, First Corridor to dia D2121 post war design with extra doors on the corridor side (Airfix CK) again the LMS didn' use standard size compartments, on the pre war FKs the compartments were wider and there was only 5 1/2 per coach. The post war coaches had six compartments the same size as on the CK.  The last pair will be a Second Open +Brake Second Open articulated twin to diagram D1965 This will need a CK and a BSK and additional windows from the period II SO.

To be added to either train will be a Buffet to dia D1948, again a CK for this model.

Those who know LMS coaches will note I am making quite a few 57ft coaches from 60ft ones, I have some spare 57ft chassis from my non-gangway cut and shuts.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...yet.

I have been having second thoughts on the scenic break, what about a canal aqueduct?

Then I could have one Mick's Leyland National barges, now that would be a twist on the bus on the bridge theme.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

On 21/08/2019 at 15:11, newbryford said:

Needs one of these….

IMG-20190821-WA0000.jpg.89024705c9a63a77c165e2aa2574064f.jpg

That's the only way you'll get a smooth ride in a Pacer...

On my infrequent voyages up north, I used to seek them out. I enjoyed being bounced about. I also enjoy turbulence when flying. I'm never happier than when all the other passengers are screaming.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Like Sheffield Midland you would have built over the incoming canal!

Mike.

Thanks Mike

As I am only building up to the railway fence the canal could quite easily be flowing under Exchange station.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

On my infrequent voyages up north, I used to seek them out. I enjoyed being bounced about. I also enjoy turbulence when flying. I'm never happier than when all the other passengers are screaming.

You're weird, you are...

...but so are the rest of us that are on RMweb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Better a Pacer than no service and a closed line!

Roja

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Mike

As I am only building up to the railway fence the canal could quite easily be flowing under Exchange station.

Hi Clive,

There is the excuse for no canopy on the station, the canals clay lining breached and caused subsidence hence the canopy was demolished before it fell down.

A  happier story all around than being destroyed by the Luftwaffe in 1940 !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

There is the excuse for no canopy on the station, the canals clay lining breached and caused subsidence hence the canopy was demolished before it fell down.

A  happier story all around than being destroyed by the Luftwaffe in 1940 !

Gibbo.

That is also a good excuse for the dip that is appearing in the baseboards................who's idea was it to make baseboards from wood it expands and contracts warps and does things that I cannot describe, and they say it a natural material.

• Like 1