Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I have had a selection of DMUs running tonight. I got the Glasgow to Edinburgh unit out and gave that a spin, must get round to painting it as it looks silly as it is mainly chocolate and cream livery.

I then decided to get out the damaged  class 127. The plan was to do some bogie swaps and replace the bogies with ones with tension locks. It was converted many moons ago, I think the first time it was used on the club layout Wulvesford it was reversed into the bay platform and half the screw couplings broke where it buffer locked (add to the list above). I cannot recall it ever running as a full train since then. It was badly damaged when the box it was in fell off the shelf, broken buffer beams mainly. Until tonight I hadn't noticed that one of the motor retaining thingies on the chassis had broken, thankfully the bits were saved. So after a bit of gluing and some supportive bits of plastic card it was fixed. The motor needed oiling and wheels needed cleaning after not being used for about 25 to 30 years. As it trundled around I felt quite pleased with my old conversion. Still need to replace the broken buffers.

• Like 8

On 25/10/2019 at 17:18, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Think yourself lucky, I've been like that for several weeks. Nothing toy train wise in my head and therefore as a result nothing on the bench either.

Gibbo.

There must be something in the water, I have been like that since Tuesday, it might be because I have started fitting the point motors and they are being a pain.

• Friendly/supportive 3

20 hours ago, royaloak said:

There must be something in the water, I have been like that since Tuesday, it might be because I have started fitting the point motors and they are being a pain.

Which is worse? as above or having too many projects wising round in your brain, that you can't decide which to do first?

So, reluctantly, instead of getting on with the modelling, I have to indulge in a bit of Clive's pet hate - Planning!!

Tomorrow after our weekend family guests leave I will settle down with a pint, a pencil and a large sheet of paper.

Yet to decide whether to go for the creature comforts of the house and suffer interruptions or go to the railway room, but no coffee made for me?

Cheers and happy modelling

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 2

I'm enjoying all this mark one bodgery. keep it up chaps.  I have a plan at some point to cut n shut my own Mk1 BSK into a GSV, but that's for another day.

In the meantime, I am also enjoying finding out more about mark ones... That griddle car!  What a splendid time it must have been to ride in carriages like that, rather than now when everything is a cramped, hard seat, back breaking commuter train.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Swindon Cross Country

At least 1.

But I also want now a pre 126 set.

My 119 is coming along well, got all 3 underframes and just waiting on my rubber mould to set for the seats.

over 70 x 2 seat seconds, 6 x 2 seat and 6 x 1 seat firsts.

Got 3 masters of seconds and 1 each of firsts.

The roof dome was done by taking a mould of a Lima 116 converted roof.

Also the DC kits Derby fronts are inaccurate with the destination boxes, they are too high, so sticking with modified Lima on plastic bodied DMUs. Was annoying as I was going to convert a spare body to a Gloucester rail car (122).

My 119 has those new LMS DMU/Wagon buffers and they are very nice.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My Mark 1 bodgery consists of.

Triang based

2 BSK to TSO and NEA (BG) both Replica glazing and the NEA has Replica B4, the buffet in the NEA set is a Triang RMB detailed with Replica glazing, Replica Commonwealths off a BG (my era is B4 or BR1). Both have air brakes with the tanks and little cylinder.

1 BSK detailed as BSK W34666

1 BSK and 1.5 CK to TSO

5 done so far, 2 in my 2 A,B,C set behind an ETH Peak, 3 in my GWR150 set.

Not sure what to do with my remainder Lima and 3 early Mainline Mk1s.

Lima based

Lima RBR brass sided to RBR(RU) W19xx series

Lima BG to brass sided Bar

Lima BG to brass sided Booth (no use whatever for it but bought by accident)

Got lots of Arifix aircon conversions.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And another thing with the Bedford to St Pancras unit, I took the brake pipes off as they were preventing the bogies swinging properly as they were catching on the tension lock hooks. Super detailing...PAHHHH!!!!! 

What an earworm to wake up to

Edited by Clive Mortimore
change a little i to a big I
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And another thing with the Bedford to St Pancras unit, i took the brake pipes off as they were preventing the bogies swinging properly as they were catching on the tension lock hooks. Super detailing...PAHHHH!!!!! 

Many thanks Clive, I was finding myself dragged off down the super-detailing route when my interest is in train movements so it doesn’t matter too much exactly what the stock looks like.  Thanks for the antidote!

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I do...

3 hours ago, timbowilts said:

So do I!

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Swindon Cross Country

At least 1.

But I also want now a pre 126 set.

My 119 is coming along well, got all 3 underframes and just waiting on my rubber mould to set for the seats.

over 70 x 2 seat seconds, 6 x 2 seat and 6 x 1 seat firsts.

Got 3 masters of seconds and 1 each of firsts.

The roof dome was done by taking a mould of a Lima 116 converted roof.

Also the DC kits Derby fronts are inaccurate with the destination boxes, they are too high, so sticking with modified Lima on plastic bodied DMUs. Was annoying as I was going to convert a spare body to a Gloucester rail car (122).

My 119 has those new LMS DMU/Wagon buffers and they are very nice.

37 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Me too.

I hope we all voted for one in the Wishlist Poll then (I did).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

What a splendid time it must have been to ride in carriages like that, rather than now when everything is a cramped, hard seat, back breaking commuter train.

It was! (showing my age now) Hitachi Class 800’s are awful but at least you get more leg room than on a Bombardier Voyager

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel, home of the first tinned beer

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

No....to busy voting for Bulldogs for my GWR RMweb mates.

and classes 302, 304, 305, 307, 308 and 309...........proper traction

Ok I did, but you won't get one until I am ready to paint my conversion. The RTR law number 354, wait until Clive has almost finished then announce our intention of making one.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

That's at least 5 people here voting for cross country units :) Hope one does get produced and that I have the cash for it....

And I always liked the styling of the 310s, much smarter than the 304s and a better ride too. There was an incredible bouncing action in 304s which made the whole carriage full of passengers almost leave their seats in unison! :O

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

That's at least 5 people here voting for cross country units :) Hope one does get produced and that I have the cash for it....

And I always liked the styling of the 310s, much smarter than the 304s and a better ride too. There was an incredible bouncing action in 304s which made the whole carriage full of passengers almost leave their seats in unison! :O

Hi Rich

The 304s had a lively ride because the LMR fitters didn't understand how to set up a Gresley bogie for a smooth ride. The 302s, 305s, and 308s rode a lot better no matter how rough the PW staff made the track. The 307s were not so good but they had the Eastleigh version of the BR mk2 bogie, far better ride when refurbished with B4s. Of course none were as good as a Clacton and Walton set, 100mph and no tea split as the train hit the big bump on the Chelmsford side of Shenfield, which had the ability on other stock to wake up the most seasoned commuter.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Not that bothered to be honest, after the 119 is finished 120 next and for that I will ask Worsley about the window sizes as 120 are not that deep. Soldering is easy, find suitable roofs (Triang are a good fit with my 119) then worry about under gear, hopefully Lima will get cheap again or it will be devise my own.

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I thought I would have butchers at this for ideas of what my passengers at the station should be dressed like. I think there is a mistaken station in this short and but entertaining video.

Love the nuns at Kings Cross! A bit surprised to see a Warship at Marylebone?

Tim T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, timbowilts said:

Love the nuns at Kings Cross! A bit surprised to see a Warship at Marylebone?

Tim T

During the rebuilding of Birmingham New Street extra trains were run from Snow Hill to London on the GWR route. There was not the capacity at Paddington  so some gained access to Marylebone  via the GWR and GCR joint line.

You didn't spot the Deltic arriving with the Flying Scotsman in London "Edinburgh Waverly" then? :locomotive:

:secret:He must have been too busy fantatising over the nuns. :secret:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for some tunes.

First up is for those who don't get the Hattons generic coaches, they are not representative of anything therefore if you want a GER diagram 208E Composite in LNER (Straford) brown with BR numbers in LNER typeface then you will have to make your own.

• Like 1