Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I thought I would have butchers at this for ideas of what my passengers at the station should be dressed like. I think there is a mistaken station in this short and but entertaining video.

I think you might find the fat bloke with the fag and cloth cap, and the bird with the flowery hat thingy in the Paddington scene quite challenging to model !

(with apologies to any fat blokes with cloth caps that might be following ):unsure:

The Liverpool St section was wonderful. Just as I remember it from my days as a novice train spotter.

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have updated their suggestions of their generic 4 and 6 wheeled coaches. Well I am most upset, having looked in my Hugh Longworth pre-nationalisation coaches books they are not doing a GER diagram 43E six wheeled Hound Van. How can I replicate a hunt going buy train, we have horse boxes for the 'orses, and first class carriages for the tofts who ride the 'orses but no hound van for the dogs.   I even have a model fox to place on the tender of the loco going the opposite direction.  No hound van :fie:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Our intrepid photographer has been out about today, following Paul's request last week on what types of DMU were whizzing around the layout. 

First up is a train to Grimsby formed of a pair of class 114 Derby long underframe units, one is my atempt at lengthing a Hornby 110 with Lima cabs and the other one a MTK kit. 008a.jpg.4a31d7ed2030372b2d26266279f260f1.jpg

This was shortly followed by a Leeds and Bradford train. The front four for Leeds the rear three for Bradford. All are Bachmann RTR units. The Leeds portion consist of a derby 108 and a Cravens 105 and passengers for Bradford are in another Derby 108, this time a 3 car unit.

009a.jpg.ea746107be1fc4e75a91b12561d1976d.jpg

This service takes the L&YR lines via Barnsley.

010a.jpg.1a6b81f5feb17989b38f0d9553561843.jpg

In Platform 6 is the late arrival of the train from York . If you were lucky and traveled in the rear four coaches the buffet (green coach) was open today. this portion of the train  formed of Metro-Cammel class 101coaches011a.jpg.aed542a64f00919c0fb47584019bf2ad.jpg

The other end of the train had a pair of Rolls Royce powered class111. All are being converted from Lima class101s.

012a.jpg.a4f8811b689517bcd308095ba675362c.jpg

In platform 2 we have the Preston train which used to be a hauled express but reduced to two Cravens class 105 power twins, these are Bachmann RTR. Behind is a stranger to Sheffield Exchange on a special a Derby class 127, a long way from its normal route of Bedford to St Pancras, more about this unit in a later post. 

013a.jpg.fef1999bdb7fb3665a04007b50608b4c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Our photographer then sneaked into the Manchester (ex L&YR) carriage sidings, something I would not advise our younger (and older) readers to do.

Here he found a BRCW class 104, a Gloucester class 100 and another Metro-Cammel class101. The BRCW and Gloucester units are being converted from Hornby110s. The BRCW is one of many of these conversions and is an LMR 3 car unit. The class101 is the Bachmann model, better paint finish than the old Lima but the Hornby reintroduction of the Lima model is almost as good. The Bachy one runs quieter but looks like an Xmas tree with all its lights on, must one day disable the pick-ups.

016a.jpg.e55e3ab5360b61176e6f6424a9455c41.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

He then walked across the city to the Doncaster (ex GNR) sidings where he was lucky to be able to photograph the occupants from the new multistory car park.

There were some more BRCW class 104 units, this time a two car and a four car both NER based sets. 014a.jpg.dd43a6ad356ecb317281d8d510b750ab.jpg

A LMR based Derby class 108. This two car set was made a long time ago from a Hornby 110. Not as good as a Bachmann RTR model, but it one I made so stays on the roster.

015a.jpg.e6820ba7e848bcdabac1b9b7155a5e51.jpg

Next to it is another Metro-Cammel 101, this is being modified to represent the earlier members of the class with four light headcode display. Again Lima, I seem to have loads of these.

020a.jpg.5361d319b26e68058047533307ed569c.jpg

Lastly is another BRCW 104, this is coupled to a Derby 108 as a hybrid set. The Derby coach is a Bachmann model, surplus from building a four car set from two 3 car units. The BRCW coach was a surplus class 110 center car which I have chopped about so it has a driving cab.

017a.jpg.7cdbdcf6e2c98974a327b955bcf3122c.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Now the Derby 127 unit. This is about 35 years old.  I had no drawings so everything was worked out from photos, except the last coach of this post. The train passing the Doncaster Sidings.

004.jpg.bf1d30561b89579b5581ecef20cee2f7.jpg

A Driving Motor Brake Second, there was one at each end. These differed from the WR three car suburban units in they had an extra seating bay and a smaller luggage section. I cut out the additional door and windows. I added the door furniture from micro strip. 007.jpg.51828e7e4be662a64aeb0a03789ebc7d.jpg

The Trailer Second Open Lavatory. For some strange reason these always seem to appear next to the leading DMBS so I was able to work out the window arrangement. the only modification to the Lima model was change the two sets of small double windows to single big ones. This was the coach my mum always made us sit in if we went out as a family incase we needed the toilet. If we went somewhere with just dad we could sit behind the driver.

006.jpg.bcc4513e8f1e7a9f82e14c2c4394e016.jpg

Photos of the Trailer Second Open seemed nonexistent at the time and the units were due to be withdrawn. I was living in Essex and didn't think I would travel to see Mum and Dad before the 317s took over. I rang my mum and she kindly went to Bedford station and wrote down, small window, door, big window, door, two small windows, door, etc for the whole train. With Mum's information I converted what was the toilet section of the coach into another seating bay. Now it is a known fact Lima made the seating bays too long and the loo section too short , so I have one seating bay that is too short. I don't think it notices on a moving train. This is Mum's coach even if it is without a loo. 005a.jpg.5b2846e4f62fa497ebafa74318f8e858.jpg

I did get one more ride on a 127 before the EMUs took over, the industrial dispute went on a bit longer. I was lucky I was taking photos of the train and the driver asked was I going to be sat behind him and would I like the blinds up, So my last ride on a 127 in service couldn't been better.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

I think you might find the fat bloke with the fag and cloth cap, and the bird with the flowery hat thingy in the Paddington scene quite challenging to model !

(with apologies to any fat blokes with cloth caps that might be following ):unsure:

The Liverpool St section was wonderful. Just as I remember it from my days as a novice train spotter.

The challenge is on.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Hi Clive,

It’s nice to see a run down of the numerous conversions of DMU’s. I like 108’s best as that’s what ran to Barrow apart from the one blue 104 that made a few appearances before the 142’s, 156’s etc replaced them. 

keep up the good work

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Love all these dmu conversions! At least you can run them in their half finished state.

Is the paint workshop on strike or on extended leave? Whilst the management debate what shade of green to paint the stock!

Hi Muddy

Ah, the painting situation. I have an old airbrush and compressor which haven't been used for a long time, as you can tell. I don't really have a spraying area at the present time. When we moved here I was going to have the caravan as my workshop. The eldest moved back with us and pitched up in the van. I was then going to use the garage until the youngest built his gym in there.  Hopefully very soon I will have a spray booth and a new airbrush so I might be able to paint in the toy room.

In between time I am having fun operating my layout with multi-coloured trains.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, muddy water said:

At least we know  any pictures on the web of multi liveried mk1 based DMUs or EMUs have come from your stable!

The horses are modeling!

almost fell off my chair. Models being shown without some video of an angry young woman shouting into a microphone about world issues. Great modeling my boy, keep working on getting them finished and they will look superb. 

Richard

• Like 1

Clive, I’m envious of your varied collection of DMU classes. Modelling South Wales in the early DMU era ones options are much restricted, basically I need only Classes 116, 120 & 122!

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel, home of the first tinned beer

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

The horses are modeling!

almost fell off my chair. Models being shown without some video of an angry young woman shouting into a microphone about world issues. Great modeling my boy, keep working on getting them finished and they will look superb. 

Richard

Hi Richard

I like angry young women shouting into the microphone about world issues and model making as they do so.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, timbowilts said:

Clive, I’m envious of your varied collection of DMU classes. Modelling South Wales in the early DMU era ones options are much restricted, basically I need only Classes 116, 120 & 122!

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel, home of the first tinned beer

Hi Tim

Part of the reason for picking the Sheffield area for my location was the potential of a variety of DMUs from the ER, NER and LMR. So why have I got some WR DMUs, ScR railcars and a Hastings unit, plus some LMR and ER trains that wouldn't have been seen in Sheffield?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Air brushes.

There is a cheapy Iwata one, a Neo, well worth trying.

Or find rattle cans of DMU green!

Nice to see how you did the DMUs.

You know my technique for the non toilets centre cars!

As to suitable dealing BR blue era, I can have 101, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, with 115 and 127 centre cars in Tyseley 116s.

Go back in time and add GWR railcars and the Swindon Scottish Intercity stock, also the 123s.

I think there may be some more DMUs but need to research more.

I have found that DC Kits Derby cabs have inaccurate destination blinds, so better off using my home made ones.

Or just tape my mould in place and cast them!

Sources

101 BR Triang B811

101 BR DC with 2xDMBC 1xTBSL B821 (Hornby motor bogie)

110 not suitable Hornby

116 CF Lima C305 I think or C301

116/127 TS Lima

117 BR Lima B430

117 BR Lima B435

118 BR Lima B465

119 BR Worsely, Triang, Lima, MJT, LMS, Home produced Resin, Scratch, will get lowrider as an experiment. B59something

128 RG DC on Black Beetle

Jobs required are finish TS 116 power cars, rebuild repaint B430 as the cut and splice have split and the paint is poor, but ran out of GWR150 paint.

Then 120 will be next target. Then I will have enough DMUs except for another 101 in white blue.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Tim

Part of the reason for picking the Sheffield area for my location was the potential of a variety of DMUs from the ER, NER and LMR. So why have I got some WR DMUs, ScR railcars and a Hastings unit, plus some LMR and ER trains that wouldn't have been seen in Sheffield?

I model WR with some MR interlopers and the interlopers are from an ex WR now MR depot.

At least I can tell a 116, 117, and 118 apart!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

This Richard likes that kind of thing too. Thanks for all the music Clive and, naturally, the modelling.

Must fix the sound system on my PC!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I thought I would have butchers at this for ideas of what my passengers at the station should be dressed like. I think there is a mistaken station in this short and but entertaining video.

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

During the rebuilding of Birmingham New Street extra trains were run from Snow Hill to London on the GWR route. There was not the capacity at Paddington  so some gained access to Marylebone  via the GWR and GCR joint line.

You didn't spot the Deltic arriving with the Flying Scotsman in London "Edinburgh Waverly" then? :locomotive:

:secret:He must have been too busy fantatising over the nuns. :secret:

Definitely 60s rather than 50s but none the worse for that. "Full of period detail" as the Railway Modeller used to say. As well as the bloke with the cloth cap, what about the old girl with the headscarf and no teeth at about 1:18 - a dead ringer for Les Dawson.

Oh and yes I did spot the Waverley connection.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

This mornings song, no shouting just for Richard.

She has fallen over. No denial about the horses doing the building. 

You would be pleased to know that I too am knee deep in plasticard trying to bring some coaches to life.  So far so good on the parts going together.  

I am enjoying watching the DMUs metaphorising out of other incarnations. 

Richard

• Like 1