Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say what I purchased yesterday, 3 large sheets of 40 thou plastic card. 

Tonight all services on Sheffield Exchange have been suspended as I am testing the Pig Lane (Western Region) locomotive stock. So far only one thing has needed cleaning and oiling, a Lima class 121 DMU. 

Pig Lane is appearing the Solihull exhibition on Saturday 9th November. If you do attend say "Hi" to me and Bungus the Fogeyman aka Dave. The venue is St Mary's House, Hobs Meadow, Solihull B92 8PN

it is close to the skating ring where our school use to go to. All my mates could skate and tried to show off to the girls from other schools. I couldn't skate and these young ladies kept trying to show me. I couldn't understand what  they were saying when we first started going. Every visit there would be 3 or 4 girls teaching me to skate. I never learnt to skate but now can understand what ladies from the West Midlands are saying. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I never learnt to skate but now can understand what ladies from the West Midlands are saying. 

How would you manage that in ‘Solihull’?  (Said with the appropriate posh accent and pronounced completely differently to the New St announcer!)

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

How would you manage that in ‘Solihull’?  (Said with the appropriate posh accent and pronounced completely differently to the New St announcer!)

:-)

Paul.

The skating ring did allow people form outside of Solihull to fall over on the ice as well as locals. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All mainline locos tested, a class 47 and a class 43 needed wheel cleaning. Just the shunters to do, I know one that was taken to Alley Pally has a limp but which one? I have a few that can be substituted for the poorly one. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

it is close to the skating ring where our school use to go to. All my mates could skate and tried to show off to the girls from other schools. I couldn't skate and these young ladies kept trying to show me. I couldn't understand what  they were saying when we first started going. Every visit there would be 3 or 4 girls teaching me to skate. I never learnt to skate but now can understand what ladies from the West Midlands are saying. 

I used to go roller skating at the Ally Pally. I had no interest in roller skating but I had a big interest in the girls with short skirts.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:54, Clive Mortimore said:

I went to the Spalding show today, * snip *

Layout wise, Grantham was there and I always enjoying seeing it. * snip *

Am I wrong not to take interest in certain types of layouts at shows, no matter how well they are modeled?

Hi Clive,

Good to see you at the show and have a few quick words.

That's a really good question you pose there! I'm a serial layout-walk-past-er but you're quite right - there could be many years of careful research and painstaking model-making on show that means a lot to the builder and would be keen to engage with the audience over. To just carry on walking without breaking stride after the most cursory glance on my approach does seem rather derogatory.

It won't surprise you to know that I'm naturally drawn to larger layouts. Layouts on ironing boards or in violin cases don't tend to do much for me, other than a brief moment of novelty value perhaps. I do however like to think that I can appreciate good modelling whatever the size / scale / era / inspiration and sometimes find myself lingering longer than I would expect at a layout that I wouldn't have otherwise expected myself to do so.

All part of the enduring fascination and interest in this great hobby of ours.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I bet they were impressed with your chat up lines about DMUs and Gresley open saloons. :rolleyes:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Hi Clive,

Good to see you at the show and have a few quick words.

That's a really good question you pose there! I'm a serial layout-walk-past-er but you're quite right - there could be many years of careful research and painstaking model-making on show that means a lot to the builder and would be keen to engage with the audience over. To just carry on walking without breaking stride after the most cursory glance on my approach does seem rather derogatory.

It won't surprise you to know that I'm naturally drawn to larger layouts. Layouts on ironing boards or in violin cases don't tend to do much for me, other than a brief moment of novelty value perhaps. I do however like to think that I can appreciate good modelling whatever the size / scale / era / inspiration and sometimes find myself lingering longer than I would expect at a layout that I wouldn't have otherwise expected myself to do so.

All part of the enduring fascination and interest in this great hobby of ours.

Hi Grahame,

I have already stated that if I cannot connect with the railway part of a layout then it isn't one for me. Scale, size, railway, era modelled and type of layout are not what holds my attention, I can happily watch a small narrow gauge layout depicting a brick works clay pit as I can a nice roundy roundy with 1960s LMR Midland Division diesels providing the railway element looks right.

I hate TMD layouts where the track plan would give the shed foreman a headache sorting out the locos, especially if the fuel tanks hold less volume than the three tank wagons in front of them. All my exhibition layouts have been diesel sheds. I dislike layouts where there is too much railway (there was one at Spalding last weekend) conversely I do not like layouts which are a model village with a railway track running through them not matter how well they are modelled.  Now someone must like them as they get invited to exhibitions. I just feel lucky they are, if an exhibition was full of layouts I liked then I wouldn't have time get round to seeing them all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It's a shame I keep missing you at Spalding Clive, you always seem to on Saturdays and I go on Sundays, it's not deliberate honest. One day it would be good if our visits coincided and we actually met each other. I think my next visit to and exhibition will be Peterborough and more than likely a Sunday again. ( I do look something like my new avatar).

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, westerner said:

It's a shame I keep missing you at Spalding Clive, you always seem to on Saturdays and I go on Sundays, it's not deliberate honest. One day it would be good if our visits coincided and we actually met each other. I think my next visit to and exhibition will be Peterborough and more than likely a Sunday again. ( I do look something like my new avatar).

Hi Alan 

I meet up with an old mate at the Spalding show, and he goes on Saturday. I am not too sure if I am going to Peterborough, I might not be let in after being rude about the place on Gilbert's thread. If I go I will let you know.  

I still look like my avatar, give or take a few missing hairs and I now wear glasses. :nono:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

HAD??, what do you mean had?!!

Mike.

Hi Mike 

Even I know there is a big difference as you get older where the interest becomes more theoretical than one can manage in practice. 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to my train set. I hope you can recall I recently modified the diesel stabling point, well tonight I had an engine moving that was supposed to be stationary. There is no prizes for guessing which geezer wired the new formation wrong. It is all sorted and work as it should have done......I thought I had tested it. 

There are two 4 car trains made up of two 2 car sets each, one heading to Huddersfield and other to Manchester stopping at most stations. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have nothing train related, but my daughter was playing these gals (and guy) in the car on Saturday (she saw them supporting 21 Pilots), and I thought they might be right up your street with their Californian pop-punk.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, StevieD71 said:

I have nothing train related, but my daughter was playing these gals (and guy) in the car on Saturday (she saw them supporting 21 Pilots), and I thought they might be right up your street with their Californian pop-punk.

Thanks Steve

They have appeared a few times on here. Lydia has brilliant stage presence and Genessa is a great guitar player. This is one of my favorites from their first LP which I don't think they do live anymore. It shows Genessa's skill as the lead guitarist.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

HAD??, what do you mean had?!!

Mike.

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike 

Even I know there is a big difference as you get older where the interest becomes more theoretical than one can manage in practice. 

I still have a big interest in them. Sadly, and no doubt inevitably, with the advancing years they no longer seem to have any interest in me.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Back to my train set. I hope you can recall I recently modified the diesel stabling point, well tonight I had an engine moving that was supposed to be stationary. There is no prizes for guessing which geezer wired the new formation wrong. It is all sorted and work as it should have done......I thought I had tested it. 

There are two 4 car trains made up of two 2 car sets each, one heading to Huddersfield and other to Manchester stopping at most stations. 

Was it Dave? I bet it was Dave...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Little train set up and running in about half an hour last night, that included all the buildings and other faff. It has been tested and seems OK. I also tested my shunters trying to find two good ones, well I have four good uns to chose from, and two of them have the same number. :fie:  I went a bit daft and tried most my 350 locos. The Kitmaster one with the scratchbuilt chassis is in need of some care. The only remaining Lima one ran very well but I decided it wasn't going to play at the weekend. I even ran my Lima-Doublo class 13. :crazy:

I cleaned the track on the little train set. I will give it a second clean before it gets packed away on Friday. Please come and say "Hi" on Saturday if you can make the Solihull exhibition.

The big train set is acting as a table for boxes etc from the little one.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Help my YouTube suggestions have malfunctioned.

Today is really grotty so no outside work :yahoo:whoops that should be :fie: if Mrs M asks. Well to occupy my time I am watching band videos on YouTube. :dancer: Twice, that is a full two times today it has suggested I watch a YES song :scared: Is it broken?  How can I fix it?  Is there someone out there who has it for me? Is it an accident? Who do I complain to? Why me, what have I done wrong?

I am consoling myself after the double dose of shock with some songs by Alicia,

• Like 2

Sorry Clive - Its probably you tube recognising possible similarities in my searches for railway stuff,

as yours. And therfore thinks your musical searches should also be similar. (Which of course

they should be) but aren't.

Thats what they call AI isn't it.

Hope this doesn't leave you "close to the edge"

TONY

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Sorry Clive - Its probably you tube recognising possible similarities in my searches for railway stuff,

as yours. And therfore thinks your musical searches should also be similar. (Which of course

they should be) but aren't.

Thats what they call AI isn't it.

Hope this doesn't leave you "close to the edge"

TONY

Hi Tony

Artificial intelligence......it is nearly as stupid as human intelligence. :scenic:

It keeps suggesting Sonic Youth, a band who in theory should be on my playlist, I can't stand them they have their heads so far up where the sun doesn't shine to be believable. :rtfm:

Then on the other hand it was You Tube that suggested Band Maid and the Regrettes, so it isn't that stupid. :yahoo:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Would you Adam and Eve it the 41st most wanted item with 213 votes is a LNER Hertford Quad Art diagram 102/3/4&5. I never knew these were so popular, so why am I building one?

007a.jpg.bd1318f18b522f67d62b8c10ec2b1c89.jpg

I am sure most who voted for them think they are the cramped sit up and beg suburban Quads that operated out of Kings Cross, because GER modellers would know that Liverpool Street (the second most important London station) was served by larger number of Quint Arts for its intense suburban services  and the Hertford Quads were used on the more leisurely trains to Hertford and Bishops Stortford. As for their replacements the class AM5/2 they are way down the list. 

Coupled with that surprise I still think someone at You Tube hates me because another YES song was suggested today and worst than that a (my figures are reluctant to type the next group) Queen song, thankfully not that song. 

What a day, the dyke at the bottom of our land has burst its banks like it did in June, and the ditch between ours and our neighbours is right to the top. Third time this year we have had more rain in a day than we would normally get for that given month, we are a darn sight luckier than many in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Mrs M has had me weatherboarding the side of the car port/ hay store, up a ladder in the wind and rain.

Going to cheer myself up, a Canadian group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSnL8h3ypto

You will have to click on the link to see Chantal Caron's wonderful performance.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7