Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

7 hours ago, jimwal said:

The size of the show may influence what you look at. A big event like Warley means you need to prioritise what to view whereas a smaller event may give more time look at the rest.

Like Clive I model a specific time period though I will take a general interest outside of that.

Seeing Andy's photos reminds me of those who did overseas layouts years ago because 'they run better than the British trains'.

Now we see modern British layouts looking all bright and toy like.

Mention on 'Wright Writes' of photography matters reminds me I must drum up enthusiasm to picture some of my work, I'd far sooner be modelling!

Jim

Yes Jim, remembering that back in the mid to late 70's all we had was Lima and Hornby with Pancake Motors, but the likes of Fleishmann and Roco etc were producing fine models with super sweet motors on a level that we now have for UK Outline today, and many of them had lights as well which took the UK market some 10 years more to catch up on.

I also remember having some Spectum and other American outline models for the same reasons, sweet running, lights and I had one with a Yellow flashing light on top, that if you just cracked the old H & M Duett controller a fraction, the roof light would flash and the head lights would illuminate without the Loco moving which again was something new in the 70's.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Andy

It looks very busy with all those EMUs on it. I bet it was fun to play with.

Yes I think I had 6 of the Roco 3 Car EMU's as they did them in Orange and Grey, and also Blue and Grey, so 3 of each, I also had 3 or 4 Silver Fish sets in 2 Car and 3 Car formations, they were Just Push Pull coaches usually Diesel hauled. Then there was the 2 and 3 Car DMU Sets that can be seen below in one of the Photos, they came in Orange and White, and also Turquoise and Off White, I think I had 5 or 6 sets of those. Then the was the Lufthansa Express Sets in Yellow and White, with a 111 Electric Unit to haul them, 2 x Sets with different Numbered Locos, and then of course there was the ICE Train in White with the Red Stripe.

Freight Stock was good too, I had the Lorry Set and it's matching Silver coach for the Drivers, this was about 11 Flats with various Lorries on, and usually Electric hauled.

Then the Car Transporter Train, the Freightliner and the Coal Trains, all usually hauled by big powerful Electrics in various Liveries.

In other stuff, I had beautiful Red and White Swiss Sets, and Orange Austrian Orange Coaches and matching Locos, then there would be the odd Italian or French Set that often came over the Border.

So all in all, a great variety of colour and liveries all with superb running.

To be honest, when I start to watch them at Shows, I do get the URGE to do all that again.:good:

NEVER SAY NEVER.:yes:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

And I also forgot to mention the Busses, Loads of different types including the Single Decker Bendy Busses by the likes of Wiking and Herpa, (as opposed to a disease of a similar name):nono:. Loads of colours and advertising that there was always something new to add to the Colour in the Bus Depot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And I also forgot to mention the Busses, Loads of different types including the Single Decker Bendy Busses by the likes of Wiking and Herpa, (as opposed to a disease of a similar name):nono:. Loads of colours and advertising that there was always something new to add to the Colour in the Bus Depot.

Hi Andy,

Did you park any of  your busses on bridges ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 4

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Andy,

Did you park any of  your busses on bridges ?

Gibbo.

HAHA, I didn't have a Bridge, but there were a few in the Town Scene, which was over the Station area.:good: Does that count as a Bridge? haha.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

About to run some trains have just watched this lovely video, my only lasting memory of steam was on the LSWR when visiting my grand parents in Farnborough.

I commute on this route every day Clive; you'd be surprised how unchanged some of the stations are even now.  Woking in particular looks almost the same from the angles used by the photographer, although the new high rises North of the railway are nearly complete.  The image as it appears in your post, on the Down Slow platform opposite the signal box is 95% identical now, 55 years later.

• Like 2

About to run some trains have just watched this lovely video, my only lasting memory of steam was on the LSWR when visiting my grand parents in Farnborough.

Superb Mate, thanks, inspiration for when I get down Souf.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A nice pair at 16:24, and again at 17:23!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The steel bodied artics?

Yes indeed; surprising to see one in a film about the SR, let alone two!  On inter regionals I suppose; the first was going 'round the corner; at Basingstoke.  I was surprised by the number of maroon coaches in the film in general!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pure nostalgia. In summer 1964 I turned 12. We never went linesiding north of Basingstoke (Shawford based) but I could easily have been on any of the trains (pullmans excepted) as we did go up to London occasionally.  What stands out, far more maroon/green mixed sets than memory would have added, the brown & cream full brake on the back of one set, and the running non-stop through Woking which lasted well into the electric era but went when the rail-air coach link services came in. Also no M7s by then at Waterloo. 

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/11/2019 at 23:18, Ramblin Rich said:

Thank you for the link, that was a most enjoyable hour reading through the article.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, john new said:

Pure nostalgia. In summer 1964 I turned 12. We never went linesiding north of Basingstoke (Shawford based) but I could easily have been on any of the trains (pullmans excepted) as we did go up to London occasionally.  What stands out, far more maroon/green mixed sets than memory would have added, the brown & cream full brake on the back of one set, and the running non-stop through Woking which lasted well into the electric era but went when the rail-air coach link services came in. Also no M7s by then at Waterloo. 

There are still plenty of non-stoppers through Woking, usually preceded by a lonnngggg horn blast as the driver tries to attract the attention of waiting passengers who haven't heard the "Stand Well Clear" announcements because they've got their headphones in, who then jump as several hundred tons of train passes them at 70mph and three feet away.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

There are still plenty of non-stoppers through Woking, usually preceded by a lonnngggg horn blast as the driver tries to attract the attention of waiting passengers who haven't heard the "Stand Well Clear" announcements because they've got their headphones in, who then jump as several hundred tons of train passes them at 70mph and three feet away.

Interesting.  All our Weymouth Waterloo's seem to stop these days.

5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

When did they lower the speed limit through Woking, it used to be 100mph on the fast lines when I worked up there and it was easily attainable.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know it’s still 90 or 100 - provided you get a clear run.  Non stoppers going through at 70 is because they rarely do as they’re never far enough back to get greens all the way so are accelerating from restrictive aspects as they pass.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Two discoveries in two days.

The first is about the battery boxes on a BR Mk1 BSK. they are not in the same place as other non catering coaches. They are the opposite way round. So most RTR manufacturers have got it wrong when they use a standard chassis. Bachmann have it right. In the "normal " position the guards steps leading to his door from rail level would mean the batteries are inaccessible.  I don't think I have a Bachmann BSK so I have to alter all of mine............................one day.

Other Mk1 brake coaches have a shorter van and the guards steps do not interfere with the battery boxes. 

The other one is the "ignore this topic", is this necessary for those who have no self control and need to comment on every topic?

Everyday is a school day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/12/2019 at 22:37, Andrew P said:

Most Stock was German Based, although some other stuff crossed the borders.

I'm sorry the pics are sh1te, but it's from a pre digital age, when I was young.:good:

The BMW Garage was a Ltd Edition with a revolving turntable with a Car on it.

IMG_7838.JPG.c8050dcfd3750ff035e8a941745acd5f.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG.3877df44de58bf3e197f90563c3afc7c.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG.9ca1530c9ac6cf7fa57c681d6f7009a3.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG.c6dc6e0aa7074a97561e2cd178643e61.JPG

IMG_8275.JPG.cc16549e42b6d5f88b6d6a46fe9e7e37.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG.f2eff8a3d9f46994ed4b06c817fd55a0.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG.35150f9ef133303442bdc339a02ab76b.JPG

That looks a stunning layout and lots of fun, reminds me very much of trips to West Germany in the '80's.

Do you still have it and if so is there a layout thread?

John.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

That looks a stunning layout and lots of fun, reminds me very much of trips to West Germany in the '80's.

Do you still have it and if so is there a layout thread?

John.

Thanks John, but neither I'm afraid, I did an article for Continental Modeller at the time  and they were going to come and photograph it, but I never heard any more. And then about 3 years after I'd dismantled it and Sold all the Stock etc, I got a letter say that they had just found my write up and Track Plan down the back of a filing cabinet in an office move about.

The only Photos I have are like the ones shown and so are really not repeatable quality.

Most of the Overhead was Lima, with Sommerfelt in the Yard, there were 12 hidden loops underneath, plus 5 dead ends for the Low Level DMU's and you can see the Control Panels for some of them in a couple of photos.

It was a looped 8 with a reverse loop for each direction on the high and low levels, so I could run from a fiddle Yard, all around, and then reverse the direction in the loop and come back again to the other fiddle yard.

I do still have the Track Plan and Write up to prove I tell the truth, and not just bragging, haha. Ignore the date stamp, I've just photographed them for you.

IMG_0342.JPG.93cffd9c7ec0b0a8cee4363e30be900c.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG.69b2416cf7105d96c3aee89eb61d845d.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG.06989714456c051496247581f3aaea9d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1