Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

On 04/12/2019 at 20:06, Clive Mortimore said:

About to run some trains have just watched this lovely video, my only lasting memory of steam was on the LSWR when visiting my grand parents in Farnborough.

Super video. I only got to Waterloo in the last year of steam. The thing that I noticed most in the video was that as late as 1964 almost every loco still had namplates, whereas by the last year when I saw them almost all nameplates were removed, and looked awful seeing gaps where the name should have been.

I only got to admire Southern locos in the preservation era via trips to the Bluebell Railway but the video reminds me of how much I missed. In my time in the Loco Spotters Club, all our shed bashes seemed to be LMR and GWR, looking back I really regret not seeing Southern Steam at its best.

Thanks for sharing the video.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, richard i said:

Such banter from the Sheffield exchange supporters club.

no! We are the supporters club of Sheffield exchange. 

Splitters! We are the supporters of Sheffield exchange club. 

A few capital E's would have come in handy!

Mike.

(Peoples Front of Judea).

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, richard i said:

Such banter from the Sheffield exchange supporters club.

no! We are the supporters club of Sheffield exchange. 

Splitters! We are the supporters of Sheffield exchange club. 

Is there a Membership fee? I only ask in case I have to spend money to view this thread. :o

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Is there a Membership fee? I only ask in case I have to spend money to view this thread. :o

Don't give Clive ideas like that...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I went to the show at Peterborough today. I didn't get there until quite late, stable boy duties taking longer than expected today. How many box shifters can you fit in one hall and call it a model railway exhibition not a trade fair? The few layouts that were there didn't grab my attention. The best layouts were ones owned and operated by people I knew. I must widen my horizon and start to enjoy narra gauge railways from parts of the world I have never visited and /or tin plate that my grandfather would have played with as a kid.

It was great to see most the Witham Club who had descended on mass, along with ex member Mike. I had quite a few nice chats with people I know. 

I came home with a Met Cam center car which has already been added to my BRCW and Derby hybrid unit. I have yet another wagon book, Don Rowland's "The Twilight of the Goods", nice traditional wagon photos. I also purchased a LNER diagram 40 third brake (3 compartments) from Isinglass Models, it is a 3D resin model, am looking forward to making it.

When viewing George and Nobby's Towcester layout I though this geezer was going to have an (censored word), he got so excited over a sound fitted DMU that was running. 

Less box shifters and more layouts please for next year.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

Hi Clive,

Less box shifters more layouts !?!?!?!

If you get rid of the box shifters then no "moandelling" will ever ever get done and there will be several less threads on RMWeb concerning the minor inaccuracies that computer designed and manufactured stuff from China have.

Anyway never mind all that, what exactly are you going to do with the 101 centre car ? My bug crate building has ceased for it is too cold to spray so I have gone onto crane production. I'm a Cowans and Sheldon man with a hint of Craven Brothers so that's one less Chinese box shifted.

Ransome Rapier indeed.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

If you get rid of the box shifters then no "moandelling" will ever ever get done and there will be several less threads on RMWeb concerning the minor inaccuracies that computer designed and manufactured stuff from China have.

Anyway never mind all that, what exactly are you going to do with the 101 centre car ? My bug crate building has ceased for it is too cold to spray so I have gone onto crane production. I'm a Cowans and Sheldon man with a hint of Craven Brothers so that's one less Chinese box shifted.

Ransome Rapier indeed.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

The center car is already in the center of my BRCW and Derby hybrid unit, three coaches from 3 different makers, both real and model. It will also see service in the middle of the class 111 unit and swapped with the buffet car (under construction) in a Met cam 4 car set.

• Like 4

On behalf of Witham club members I can say it was great to see you Clive!.

Box shifters I believe are needed to help pay towards relatively expensive venues with reasonable facilities that larger shows use. The carvery lunch was very good.

'The Spirit of Shap' (with three operating timeframes) and 'Bewdley' were decent layouts. The 'Tinplate' layouts seemed to be mostly new 'repro' stuff, proper tinplate would have been much noiser!

I think we cleaned out the wagon book from the show with the last two copies from Bill Hudson and Book Law to four of us.

I purchased a 52' gangwayed brake, Keith purchased a steel panelled twin set, both from Isinglass. They will get an appraisal at the club.

Buying a full brake has been my way of assessing a carriage kit range prior to committing to passenger carrying types. First impressions are that it will need quite a bit of cleaning up, but that body shape should be good given the pedigree of the research.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Ransome Rapier indeed.

Gibbo.

The Haymarket Cowans 50 tonner was the best crane I ever worked with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Did it always get a round in at the pub?  Remember your birthday?  

Not quite that good but it never told the other half where I'd been all night...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I went to the show at Peterborough today. I didn't get there until quite late, stable boy duties taking longer than expected today. How many box shifters can you fit in one hall and call it a model railway exhibition not a trade fair? The few layouts that were there didn't grab my attention. The best layouts were ones owned and operated by people I knew. I must widen my horizon and start to enjoy narra gauge railways from parts of the world I have never visited and /or tin plate that my grandfather would have played with as a kid.

Hi Clive,

I agree with you on this.  My brother and I stopped going to Peterborough several years ago because it was becoming more of a trade show than a model railway show.  Last time we went it seemed like the layouts were an after-thought.  Yes, I know about the economics about running a show, and venue, and other costs, have to be recouped, but is a model railway exhibition after all.

We go to several shows through the year.  Doncaster and York are the two largest we go to and they seem to have got the balance fairly right, as have most of the others.  I don't know how much they are charged to use the facilities at Peterborough, but, dare I suggest it, msybe it's time to find another venue.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Clive,

I agree with you on this.  My brother and I stopped going to Peterborough several years ago because it was becoming more of a trade show than a model railway show.  Last time we went it seemed like the layouts were an after-thought.  Yes, I know about the economics about running a show, and venue, and other costs, have to be recouped, but is a model railway exhibition after all.

We go to several shows through the year.  Doncaster and York are the two largest we go to and they seem to have got the balance fairly right, as have most of the others.  I don't know how much they are charged to use the facilities at Peterborough, but, dare I suggest it, msybe it's time to find another venue.

Roja

Hi Roja

I am quite surprised no one has said "But Bodmin was there", I found the operation on the ever so wonderful Bodmin boring when I saw it 35-36 years ago, it hasn't improved and that bloke painting the fence is still doing so.

• Funny 2

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The Haymarket Cowans 50 tonner was the best crane I ever worked with.

Hi There,

The two cranes I worked with were a C&S BR 75 ton diesel hydraulic and a Cravens LMS 50 ton. The C&S was hugely strong and would pick just about anything but had a narrow propped base and always seemed to be on the edge of tippling when heavily loaded, the Cravens was extremely steady but you had to get steam up or it would run out of puff and slow down on a big lift.

I get tired thinking about crane work these days, all that lugging of chains, hawsers, packings and winding down screw jacks.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:I think I can forgive Shana for spelling my name wrong on her guitar....

Why don’t model Railway fans play music consistent with the era modelled ? You could have posted Freddie and the Dreamers without embarassment on the basis they were live at Sheffield Corn Exchange on 4th March 1963 , and  Green Diesel fan Cilla Black will be there the following week .:D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Why don’t model Railway fans play music consistent with the era modelled ? You could have posted Freddie and the Dreamers without embarassment on the basis they were live at Sheffield Corn Exchange on 4th March 1963 , and  Green Diesel fan Cilla Black will be there the following week .:D

I am not embarrassed by the music I share with everyone, now I would be if I was to play

• Funny 4