Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

The two cranes I worked with were a C&S BR 75 ton diesel hydraulic and a Cravens LMS 50 ton. The C&S was hugely strong and would pick just about anything but had a narrow propped base and always seemed to be on the edge of tippling when heavily loaded, the Cravens was extremely steady but you had to get steam up or it would run out of puff and slow down on a big lift.

I get tired thinking about crane work these days, all that lugging of chains, hawsers, packings and winding down screw jacks.

Gibbo.

The great thing about the Cowans 50 tonner was that it had 6 beams not 4, so you could get a good base in all sorts of places where 4 beams wouldn't cut it.

My experience of the Cowans 75 tonners was about the same as yours. Very strong at small radius but the capacity dropped away quickly as you jibbed out.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think I can forgive Shana for spelling my name wrong on her guitar....

Not sure the drummer can spell either unless she is a fan of economics.

They certainly have the early 1970s prog group vibe and facial gestures - the drummer couldn't look anymore non-plussed about the whole piece.  I did wonder if they were actually listening to a lecture on their headphones whilst playing.

Keyboard player needs to remember to do her nails before appearing on a video.

However, the tune was good.

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Roja

I am quite surprised no one has said "But Bodmin was there", I found the operation on the ever so wonderful Bodmin boring when I saw it 35-36 years ago, it hasn't improved and that bloke painting the fence is still doing so.

Hi Clive,

in my experience there are quite a few layouts I've seen over the past few years that I've read about and wanted to see but been disappointed by their operation.  One that springs to mind was a BR blue diesel era branch terminus where the operator actually ran it as a 1:1 timetable!  If a train departed at 11.30 and the next one wasn't due to arrive until 13.30 he'd actually set the train off at 11.30 according to his watch then he'd disappear for a couple of hours, come back just before half one, drive the train into the station then vanish again until it was due to depart!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Not sure the drummer can spell either unless she is a fan of economics.

They certainly have the early 1970s prog group vibe and facial gestures - the drummer couldn't look anymore non-plussed about the whole piece.  I did wonder if they were actually listening to a lecture on their headphones whilst playing.

Keyboard player needs to remember to do her nails before appearing on a video.

However, the tune was good.

Prog rock....it is surf pop.

I found a great Russian band last night called Курица по-пекински, for thjose who Russian is a tad rusty it translates to Peking Chicken, I went to find more of their songs. I also found hundreds of recipes for Peking Chicken in Russian, how good is that?

I will play Курица по-пекински at a later date because here is a new Band Maid song. 

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Nothing happening tonight, just one those nights I suppose.

Last night I did a drawing of an LNER coach, posted to Andy (thegreenhowards), who has also done a drawing of the same coach. See his drawing on his workshop thread.

Hi Clive, 

I read your post on the above and sent this reply to Andy, but I think it will be of interest to you.  Just my thoughts on the subject of the missing millimetres!

"When doing a "cut and shut" it's easy to forget to take into account the thickness of the razor saw blade used to make the cut.  If a lot of panels are cut the discepancy could easily account for a millimetre or two.  I know we are advised to always cut to the waste side of the line and gently file back to width, but when cutting panels no-one wants to waste any, so the temptation is to cut exactly along the line."

It makes sense to me, but then again, so does quantum physics!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Clive, 

I read your post on the above and sent this reply to Andy, but I think it will be of interest to you.  Just my thoughts on the subject of the missing millimetres!

"When doing a "cut and shut" it's easy to forget to take into account the thickness of the razor saw blade used to make the cut.  If a lot of panels are cut the discepancy could easily account for a millimetre or two.  I know we are advised to always cut to the waste side of the line and gently file back to width, but when cutting panels no-one wants to waste any, so the temptation is to cut exactly along the line."

Roja

AKA Kerf.

Should always be taken into account when cutting anything, especially relevant in woodworking, as our resident splintermaker Mr Bacon will attest.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Clive, 

Roja

Hi Roja

These days I do most my cutting with a craft knife so the cutting width of a saw is not normally a problem. My problem is I have have a ruler that doesn't seem to remain the same length, I measure the drawing, and use the same measurement to mark where I need to cut. When I come to fit it, it has either grown a millimeter or shrunk a millimeter. I am sure the ruler expands and contracts at will.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Roja

These days I do most my cutting with a craft knife so the cutting width of a saw is not normally a problem. My problem is I have have a ruler that doesn't seem to remain the same length, I measure the drawing, and use the same measurement to mark where I need to cut. When I come to fit it, it has either grown a millimeter or shrunk a millimeter. I am sure the ruler expands and contracts at will.

I've got a whole selection of those!

TONY

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

What if they build the jig with the same wonky measuring stick ?

Gibbo.

Ah, there you have me!

I personally build them from the known dimensions of what I'm "jigging" by dead reckoning, or by use of a electronic measuring spanner (known by others as a digital micrometer) , but, as you say, discrepancies can creep in!

Generally for cut and shuts, accuracy in the  90 degree sphere of operations is more important.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ah, there you have me!

I personally build them from the known dimensions of what I'm "jigging" by dead reckoning, or by use of a electronic measuring spanner (known by others as a digital micrometer) , but, as you say, discrepancies can creep in!

Generally for cut and shuts, accuracy in the  90 degree sphere of operations is more important.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Do tell me that you use a digital (yuk) micrometer because you can't read the very-near upon the thimble of a proper micrometer !!!

I can almost see what I'm doing with out my specs on a good day, with my specs, can work to 1/64" using a good steel rule.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Do tell me that you use a digital (yuk) micrometer because you can't read the very-near upon the thimble of a proper micrometer !!!

I can almost see what I'm doing with out my specs on a good day, with my specs, can work to 1/64" using a good steel rule.

Gibbo.

You are therefore a better man than I am, I was only ever a plumber and the arcane science of proper engineering is lost on me.

I am somewhat like Clive when it comes to modelling, I look at what I want to do and then  work out a way that suits me to achieve that goal. Maybe I would have fitted in well in the REME!

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You are therefore a better man than I am, I was only ever a plumber and the arcane science of proper engineering is lost on me.

I am somewhat like Clive when it comes to modelling, I look at what I want to do and then  work out a way that suits me to achieve that goal. Maybe I would have fitted in well in the REME!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Not better just different !

REME working is fine so long as you don't end up going along the RAF (Rough As Flip) route.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Well that does it, I am not buying another book in Smiths, no matter how much I like the shop assistant. I did resist buying the Railway Modeller, "Why buy a magazine when you have had the pleasure of playing with Little Bytham, you don't need to read it." said my sensible brain cell. So instead my daft brain cells made me buy Tony Wright and Gavin Glenster's new bookzine "Diesel Dawn-1 Deltics.  That is not why I will not go back to Smiths to buy another book. The self service machine would not give me a discount as I am an associate of the author. The nice shop assistant did think my cheek of asking for a discount funny.

Now to sit down and read it.

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Two amazing or were they strange things happened last night in the toy room.

First was I did some modelling...not too much ....I cut the second side of my Swindon Cross Country DMU Motor Brake Composite. I now have two piles of cut up bits of mainline coach which need gluing together.

Second was there was not one DMU in the station, all trains were loco hauled. Now that doesn't sound that amazing but when you consider out of the 22 trains on the layout per operating session only six are loco hauled and five were in the station I done something strange, not by planning either.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Where's young Clive tonight? run off with a Girl Band or watching Strictly come Dancing?:o

Hi Andy,

I reckon he's looking for his DMU's, all sixteen of them.

They're hiding in the tunnel Clive, near the bridge with a bus on it !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3