Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

OK now something serious, locomotives for Sheffield Exchange. I keep getting tempted to buy a V2 or a Britannia and a Jubilee or B17. But i think they might be too big and powerful for what I am trying to portray. The station platforms can only accommodate six BR 1s with a loco at the buffers and one on the country end. I can get seven on platforms 4 and 5. So my trains are not that long. If there was a station like mine mainly serving towns in Yorkshire, Lancashire and North Lincolnshire, there wouldn't be a need for big express locos as mixed traffic locos could deal with most the passenger traffic. here is a list of what I feel would be appropriate.  Those in red are ones I do not have.

LMS types, LMR based locos, and those from NER and ER ex LMS sheds. A Jinty for shunting the coal wagons, empty stock and some local services. Ivatt class 2 tender and tank locos and a Fowler 4-4-0 2P, local duties and empty stock. For destinations like Leeds Bradford and other West Yorkshire towns a variety of LMS 2-6-4 tanks plus a Stanier class 3 2-6-2T (kit yet to be built). For the longer distance trains some tender locos, an Ivatt class 4, a Crab and Stanier mogul. For the more important express trains a Black Five and a Crapotti Black Five. May be another Black Five?  Backing all these up a 4F on speicals etc.

LNER classes, those sheded both on the NER and ER. Shunting a J50. A recent transfer form London a N2 and a L1 for shorter distance passenger. A K1, K3  and a B16/3. Bigest class for the heavier and faster services a couple of B1s and a D49. Like the LMR locos there is a J39 to back up  the summer services to the coast.

BR standard classes, to help the LMS Ivatt class 2 locos may be the BR versions. Class 4 locos both tender and tank for most duties. Again the heavier and faster trains a class 5 4-6-0 and a Crapotti version

Diesel classes. English Electric type1 Local based locos, Clayton again local based, all versions of the BR/Sulzer Bo-Bo from all regions, Brush type 2s from the ER and Type 3s from the ER and NER. Peaks EE type 4s and Brush Type 4 /12s to make the odd appearance.

What NER or ER based tank locos could I use for thr runs to Doncaster, Wakefield, Leeds and Bradford? Pre-grouping types would mostly have been withdrawn by 1961/2 by the introduction of those lovely DMUs?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As Mike Enterprisingwestern says, Doncaster used big locos for running in turns, and have seen pictures of all sorts of LNER Pacifics on Leeds-Doncaster stoppers.  The Banks book on LNER train formations has a picture of a Britannia on a Cleethorpes-Leeds formed of 4 gangwayed coaches.   I just happen to have a book beside me at the moment called "Railway Memories - Pontefract, Castleford & Knottingley" which has pictures of Royal Scot 46131 on the 4-coach 1pm SO York-Sheffield stopper, and Jubilee 45660 on the 7.20am York-Sheffield stopper (which the caption describes as "heavy" but you can't see how many coaches); both taken at Pontefract Baghill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On a similar note, "Railway Memories 21 - Rotherham Mexborough and Wath" has

- a "Peak" on 3 Mk1s on a Sheffield Midland-Bradford Forster Square in 1966

- a Bristol-based "Patriot" on a fill-in turn, a stopper from Sheffield Midland to Leeds in 1960

so I'd say "fill-in turn" is your excuse/reason/get-out clause/get out of jail free card for pretty much anything vaguely plausible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

OK now something serious, locomotives for Sheffield Exchange. I keep getting tempted to buy a V2 or a Britannia and a Jubilee or B17. But i think they might be too big and powerful for what I am trying to portray. The station platforms can only accommodate six BR 1s with a loco at the buffers and one on the country end. I can get seven on platforms 4 and 5. So my trains are not that long. If there was a station like mine mainly serving towns in Yorkshire, Lancashire and North Lincolnshire, there wouldn't be a need for big express locos as mixed traffic locos could deal with most the passenger traffic. here is a list of what I feel would be appropriate.  Those in red are ones I do not have.

LMS types, LMR based locos, and those from NER and ER ex LMS sheds. A Jinty for shunting the coal wagons, empty stock and some local services. Ivatt class 2 tender and tank locos and a Fowler 4-4-0 2P, local duties and empty stock. For destinations like Leeds Bradford and other West Yorkshire towns a variety of LMS 2-6-4 tanks plus a Stanier class 3 2-6-2T (kit yet to be built). For the longer distance trains some tender locos, an Ivatt class 4, a Crab and Stanier mogul. For the more important express trains a Black Five and a Crapotti Black Five. May be another Black Five?  Backing all these up a 4F on speicals etc.

LNER classes, those sheded both on the NER and ER. Shunting a J50. A recent transfer form London a N2 and a L1 for shorter distance passenger. A K1, K3  and a B16/3. Bigest class for the heavier and faster services a couple of B1s and a D49. Like the LMR locos there is a J39 to back up  the summer services to the coast.

BR standard classes, to help the LMS Ivatt class 2 locos may be the BR versions. Class 4 locos both tender and tank for most duties. Again the heavier and faster trains a class 5 4-6-0 and a Crapotti version

Diesel classes. English Electric type1 Local based locos, Clayton again local based, all versions of the BR/Sulzer Bo-Bo from all regions, Brush type 2s from the ER and Type 3s from the ER and NER. Peaks EE type 4s and Brush Type 4 /12s to make the odd appearance.

What NER or ER based tank locos could I use for thr runs to Doncaster, Wakefield, Leeds and Bradford? Pre-grouping types would mostly have been withdrawn by 1961/2 by the introduction of those lovely DMUs?

The Gresley V1 / V3 tanks would fit , especially the V3’s. Some of them hung until around 1964 I don’t know if Sheffield had any but Hull certainly did so it wouldn’t be stretching a point too far to run  one even though you have an L1 . 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have the 1957 N E Region public timetable.

Table 31 as a guide gives Sheffield Midland to  York as about 1:09 for journey time.

The North Briton service Leeds - York - Edinburgh - Glasgow wasn't a multi-portion train but if it were to have had a Sheffield portion then you get your big engine option.

Morning  - Dep Sheffield approx 8:30am to arrive in time to attach to the Leeds portion (York arr 9:47 dep 9:51)

Return - Dep York 9:35pm (a few minutes after the Leeds portion at 9:29) arr Sheffield 10:45

Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Edited by john new
Corrected the evening arrival time. Can’t add up apparently,
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clive,

A Caprotti black five could certainly be a Sheffield to Southport through train as Southport had most if not all of the Caprotti geared locomotives for a time along with 44767 the Stephenson geared locomotive.

My other very crazy thought is there any way that a Manor or a Hall could somehow end up in Sheffield ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I had considered running in turns from Doncaster, which opens up a wide variety of locomotive types. To prevent me buying loads of lovely looking A3s with German wings and flooding the station with Baby Deltics I have written in the back story that this was a regular thing, hence a 70 ft turn table in the GNR loco yard but is now rare since the reduction in the number of locos under repair following the introduction of the diesels.

I have thought about a V1/V3, but they were not common in the South Yorkshire area, but then there never was a Sheffield Exchange. 

An A5 would look good, they had been withdrawn before my supposedly time period. 

The references of big locos on the front of light trains to and from Sheffield has inspired me, so a jubilee, a B17 ( or a B2), a Britannia, a Rebuilt Patriot and a V2 could be joining the roster.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

A Caprotti black five could certainly be a Sheffield to Southport through train as Southport had most if not all of the Caprotti geared locomotives for a time along with 44767 the Stephenson geared locomotive.

My other very crazy thought is there any way that a Manor or a Hall could somehow end up in Sheffield ?

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I forgot to add to my general reply to all suggestions you owe the swear box 20p for mentioning two locos. But as you say you are very crazy  you may be let off, only may be.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Gibbo.

Not without knocking a lot of platform edges off. That's what happened on the one occasion I know of when a GW engine got that far north.

• Agree 2