Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

Clive, your rehabilitation is coming on in leaps and bounds, but of course you need Sheffield United as well, and perhaps Wednesday too to show how even handed you are.

I'm on my way with the carbolic soap, w*dn*sd*y is not a nice word in mixed company!

Mike.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, great northern said:

Clive, your rehabilitation is coming on in leaps and bounds, but of course you need Sheffield United as well, and perhaps Wednesday too to show how even handed you are.

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm on my way with the carbolic soap, w*dn*sd*y is not a nice word in mixed company!

Mike.

Hi Chaps,

It could be much worse, he could have 61656 !!!

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Chaps,

It could be much worse, he could have 61656 !!!

Gibbo.

All I can say about your choice of loco name......David Webb's goal in the 1970 FA cup replay. The most important goal ever in the history of the best club in the world.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'll be honest and say really know the difference between a lot of steam engines, but I do like that V2! Very nice. Also, can't help looking at those pics and thinking I really should get up there with th OO9 tubs for you to try :)

have a good new year!

map

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

It is not rehabilitation just me enjoying trains.

Back to football, here is my Uncle Charlie receiving the FA Amateur Cup on his 30 th birthday in 1958, he was captain of Woking Town. Thank you Charlie  for my new engines.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I'll be honest and say really know the difference between a lot of steam engines, but I do like that V2! Very nice. Also, can't help looking at those pics and thinking I really should get up there with th OO9 tubs for you to try :)

have a good new year!

map

Hi Map

Any time, just let me know when you are coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

"as she was leaving so she took it with her" - reminds me of the joke about the lady who drops the TV remote when paying at the shop. When asked why she had it replies, Its the worst thing I can think of that's legal :-) I'm sure your never naughty enough to have to be punished like this.

Happy new year.

53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is not rehabilitation just me enjoying trains.

Back to football, here is my Uncle Charlie receiving the FA Amateur Cup on his 30 th birthday in 1958, he was captain of Woking Town. Thank you Charlie  for my new engines.

Now here’s a funny thing,

Your Uncle, Charlie Mortimore Captained his side to victory in the F.A. Amateur Cup Final In 1958, two years later, my uncle, Stan Prince captained his club, Walthamstow Avenue to victory in the Cup. As they were similar ages (Uncle Stan was 31 in 1958)they must have played against each other at times, and as they were apparently both England players they might even have been in the same team at times !

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Now here’s a funny thing,

Your Uncle, Charlie Mortimore Captained his side to victory in the F.A. Amateur Cup Final In 1958, two years later, my uncle, Stan Prince captained his club, Walthamstow Avenue to victory in the Cup. As they were similar ages (Uncle Stan was 31 in 1958)they must have played against each other at times, and as they were apparently both England players they might even have been in the same team at times !

Hi Jazzer

I will ask my brother (he is the football expert in our family) if your Uncle Stan and Charlie played in the same England squad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had some great fun load testing the new locos. I set up two ten coach trains, more than the normal load on Exchange. I drove each loco out the loco yard when it was its turn to be tested, none derailed in the station area.

The Hunt looked splendid zooming around with ten on the back.

The Jubilee appeared to struggle when it started, so I stopped it a few times at different parts of the layout and repeated the start. It improved. I think on full throttle it wasn't the fastest, I didn't time it. 

The V3 amazed me with its ability to haul ten coaches at speed and slowly. Lovely little engine.

The B17 handled its train very well.

The V2 seemed to go fast then slowed down then fast again on different speed settings. Just when I was about to take it off and have a look at what was wrong the pulsing action seemed to disappear. As the test continued it was running smoother. It did look good at medium speed with the train behind it.

Last to be tested were the two Blackies, both ran well at all speeds. I ran them at top speed noting where they passed each other and it wasn't until the fifth lap that I could see a difference in where they met. The double chimney one was going a tad faster, but it was on the inner track .

Happy New Year....what ever that means.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Cheers Eric

What a mine of information that site is. I knew both my dad's brothers played for England as amateurs. What I didn't know was John played before Charlie, John being the youngest of the three brothers. John went on to play for Chelsea and had a fairly successful managerial career including twice at Benfica. I take after my dad, to kick the ball and it goes where it is supposed to happens now and then by accident. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Didn't realise you were related to Mr Cholmomdely Warner Clive!

Mike.

Hi Mike

Are you referring to clear correctly spoken English commentary? Just how a commentary should be relayed not like today when you have an over excited yob with some sort of local dialect that cannot be understood getting his pants wet while the referee goes to watch the telly for a couple of minutes.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer

I will ask my brother (he is the football expert in our family) if your Uncle Stan and Charlie played in the same England squad.

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cheers Eric

What a mine of information that site is. I knew both my dad's brothers played for England as amateurs. What I didn't know was John played before Charlie, John being the youngest of the three brothers. John went on to play for Chelsea and had a fairly successful managerial career including twice at Benfica. I take after my dad, to kick the ball and it goes where it is supposed to happens now and then by accident. 

According to the site, Uncle Stan must have played with both Charlie and John at times in the England squad

, so they must have all known each other . He must presumably have played against Charlie when Walthamstow met Woking in the first round of the Cup in 1957. 

My footballing talent seems to be about the same level as yours. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This evening I was having a play, all diesel operating session is back in full swing now the new steam locos have been put back in their boxes. I will hold my hands up to a few operator errors, otherwise the layout ran well. I had one derailment, no idea what caused it because every other time that train did a circuit it stayed where it was supposed to be.

The last two trains were both made up of Cravens units. One was a four car unit made up of two Bachmann two car sets. It is one of the reliable, nice looking, and favorite trains I have. The other was my over 30 years old, uncompleted Tri-ang conversion 3 car unit. As they both pottered around I felt very proud of myself seeing the Tri-ang train moving, and running smoothly, OK it needs a lot of work done to it but boy didn't it look special. 

Following a discussion on Tony Wright's thread regarding layout size I still feel very lucky to have the room to build Sheffield Exchange, also for it to work so well and for the stock to run reliably making the whole experience fun.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The last two trains were both made up of Cravens units. One was a four car unit made up of two Bachmann two car sets. It is one of the reliable, nice looking, and favorite trains I have. 

When you put 2 x 2-car Bachmann Cravens units together, do they play nicely together?  I've got two which sometimes run coupled and sometimes on their own.  When coupled, there's an awful lot of 'surging' as if one's being pushed by the other and its gears don't like it.  Only at certain speeds though and only when going in one direction.  A pity as they're very good runners on their own!