Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

R.E.M.E. continues on its trials, it do look good. 

I have been doing some shunting. The Heljan parcels car has removed the temperamental Hawksworth BG from the loading bay and is now running in the opposite direction to R.E.M.E. 

And this song came up on Spotify, so back to toy trains, music and fun

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

With there only being a day and bit left before Hornby announce what they will be filling the shops up with Mrs M has suggest that those who are getting too excited need to get down to Boots and buy some of these.

If it's anything like previous years I'll be buying some of these;

image.png.968d30cd1a8dff61ad175a418cbd18f9.png

Mike.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2020 at 13:40, Clive Mortimore said:

With there only being a day and bit left before Hornby announce what they will be filling the shops up with Mrs M has suggest that those who are getting too excited need to get down to Boots and buy some of these.

Please thank Mrs M for making me chuckle.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Cor blimey, there is something on the Hornby new products list that I want, a BR class 2 2-6-0, that would be nice to have one to run alongside its LMS cousin. 

Talking of Hornby stuff today Gav the postie has delivered a new (not cheapskate secondhand) Hornby Britannia. On Gilbert's Peterborough North we have discussed the flangeless rear pony's wheels. Still not sure if I will bung the flanged ones under it or not. Back to the loco, well it is pulling 12 behind it as if they are not there. On maximum volts it was doing a scale ton with 12 on the back, and people complain about the haulage of modern big passenger locos. 

One thing that is concerning me is its coat of G*R green. It looks nought like that of me diesels which are supposed to be the same G*R green.  I know others have mentioned the Hornby green which locos are being painted recently. I checked it with Barnsley and R.E.M.E. and they are lighter than the diesels but not as light as the big BR Standard 7. I am not going to try and repaint it with the lovely lining it has. It is going to be renumbered and de-named to 70047 the Brit with no name. 

I am not a lover of named locos ("daft old git" can be heard form the cheap seats). Some classes you cannot get away with not having them named, that is why I have gone for "R.E.M.E.", my Jubilee is going to become "British Honduras", I was stationed in Belize, and as you know I like the joke of the old ladies ending up in Doncaster when the engine had "Barnsley" as its destination.  Now what do I do with my named B1? Dename it, or rename it after a ward I worked on "Mayflower"? We had a very nice large photo of 61379 on the ward wall, as well a several pictures of the ship Mayflower and the pub with the same name in Billericay. The ward's association with Billericay and Mayflower comes form the days when the plastic surgery unit was based at the old St Andrew's hospital in Billericay, before it moved to Broomfield, in Chelmsford.  

I am very pleased with my recent purchases of steam locos.  Back to running DMUs. 

And new music

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor blimey, there is something on the Hornby new products list that I want, a BR class 2 2-6-0, that would be nice to have one to run alongside its LMS cousin. 

Talking of Hornby stuff today Gav the postie has delivered a new (not cheapskate secondhand) Hornby Britannia. On Gilbert's Peterborough North we have discussed the flangeless rear pony's wheels. Still not sure if I will bung the flanged ones under it or not. Back to the loco, well it is pulling 12 behind it as if they are not there. On maximum volts it was doing a scale ton with 12 on the back, and people complain about the haulage of modern big passenger locos. 

One thing that is concerning me is its coat of G*R green. It looks nought like that of me diesels which are supposed to be the same G*R green.  I know others have mentioned the Hornby green which locos are being painted recently. I checked it with Barnsley and R.E.M.E. and they are lighter than the diesels but not as light as the big BR Standard 7. I am not going to try and repaint it with the lovely lining it has. It is going to be renumbered and de-named to 70047 the Brit with no name. 

I am not a lover of named locos ("daft old git" can be heard form the cheap seats). Some classes you cannot get away with not having them named, that is why I have gone for "R.E.M.E.", my Jubilee is going to become "British Honduras", I was stationed in Belize, and as you know I like the joke of the old ladies ending up in Doncaster when the engine had "Barnsley" as its destination.  Now what do I do with my named B1? Dename it, or rename it after a ward I worked on "Mayflower"? We had a very nice large photo of 61379 on the ward wall, as well a several pictures of the ship Mayflower and the pub with the same name in Billericay. The ward's association with Billericay and Mayflower comes form the days when the plastic surgery unit was based at the old St Andrew's hospital in Billericay, before it moved to Broomfield, in Chelmsford.  

I am very pleased with my recent purchases of steam locos.  Back to running DMUs. 

And new music

Hi Clive,

It would seem that I have committed a severe faux pas in that I have pre-ordered a "namer" from Hornby's new list, its a little yellow contraption called "ROCKET" !!!!!

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I like the link above to ME, St Andrews, Mayflower, i.e. sailed from Plymouth my birthplace, haha.:good:

Oh, and I do like a nice BIG BRIT, super power on Steroids mate.:sungum:

Oh, and as for the Music.:music:

I know the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from Plymouth, many came form Billericay, hence everything in Billericay being Pilgrim or Mayflower. We move up this way only to find half of Boston claims some attachment to the Pilgrim Fathers. 

You know the Americans have "thanksgiving" each year. It is a celebration of the ultra fundamentalist christians who were disliked even by the puritans surviving their first winter in the new world. They did so with the help of the First Nation Peoples  who spoke English. Yes the red skins spoke English not to aid those who do not speak one of the Native American tongues like they do in the films but those Native Americans who traded with the settled tobacco farmers.  Who were the real first white Americans. Funny the Yanks are not boastful of the fact their nation was built on selling an addictive substance to Europe, but pretend these religious misfits from Boston and Billericay  were the birth of their nation. 

Not everything from the states is bad, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQtvsGkgHg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and those who have viewed it.

Sheffield Exchange is going off air.....I had a someone whose modelling level is to ask "Is there much difference between poly cement (Humbrol) and good old super glue?" say  "You are established in traditional technology that is dying."

For years I had people being critical of my diesel modelling, and my use of plastic card. Both have in my mind been as successful as I hoped. I am always willing to share my information and do enjoy helping people sadly that has come to an end. I am now being constantly told I am WRONG for being a DC user and trying to show others what can be achieved. 

Should you want to keep up with events please ask to join the Sheffield Exchange Facebook Group. Or if a DEMU member , I recommend you join, on the DEMU forum. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Are things so bad you've joined Facebook?

Don't stop posting because a minority don't appreciate your modelling, i for one am amazed by what you produce with plasticard and fillers.

edit: Facebook request sent, look see you're forcing me to do Facebook stuff.:diablo_mini:

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and those who have viewed it.

Sheffield Exchange is going off air.....I had a someone whose modelling level is to ask "Is there much difference between poly cement (Humbrol) and good old super glue?" say  "You are established in traditional technology that is dying."

For years I had people being critical of my diesel modelling, and my use of plastic card. Both have in my mind been as successful as I hoped. I am always willing to share my information and do enjoy helping people sadly that has come to an end. I am now being constantly told I am WRONG for being a DC user and trying to show others what can be achieved. 

Should you want to keep up with events please ask to join the Sheffield Exchange Facebook Group. Or if a DEMU member , I recommend you join, on the DEMU forum. 

Hi Clive,

Cheer up lad !   I promise not to say GWR again. that's another 10p in the swear box.

I use superglue sometimes, but only appropriately, (find out where the idiots live and put some on their bog seat).

Do these help cheer you up ?

DSCF0748.JPG.1ddb10a311222c3cbe9afca37aebf0bb.JPG

DSCF0749.JPG.009ec58c8738ce8d61285d6aae26f284.JPG

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I value your modeling advice and will still seek it out. 

Richard

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well you and I must both be wrong then because I am just starting a layout and it will be my version of cab control, I thought about going DCC (apparently its the thought that counts) but after looking at the number of old models I possess plus the issues with DCC requiring me to know which end is which (I dont need to know that in my day job as a train driver so why should I need to know it in the toy room) I decided I wanted to move a train this way or that without having to check which end the radiator was first to ensure it went the right way I have stuck with DC because it suits what I want to do, whether somebody decides if that is right or wrong I really couldnt care less, so you keep doing what you are doing and leave the DCC snobs to their own devices, I am sure we will be 'driving' the train down the track while they are still swapping between menus trying to find the loco on their all singing, all dancing £10million control panel.

Or in plain words of English, Fork em one and all!

Yes I appreciate I will probably be having a weeks 'holiday' from the forum for that, sorry Andy and Phil.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Please don't do that, Clive!  You're certainly NOT wrong, and not the only one who prefers DC, and likes making stuff from Plastikard!  DON'T let them grind you down; they're probably just a bunch of box openers anyway!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, 31A said:

Please don't do that, Clive!  You're certainly NOT wrong, and not the only one who prefers DC, and likes making stuff from Plastikard!  DON'T let them grind you down; they're probably just a bunch of box openers anyway!

Box openers have a lot to answer for !

They are the kind of smug twerps that make my chopped about Trix AC Electrics look like something Triang would have hidden under under a rock.

If this load of un-boxed non-Bachmannesque rubbish doesn't lift your spirits...................................................

DSCF0854.JPG.dedb5b8c88430d16d4f2952ded023382.JPG

....................................................then its The Smiths for you Mortimer !!!!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2