Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Clive, you know the story of the Emperors new clothes. You also know the old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DCC or DC or clockwork is irrelevant to what the viewer sees. What counts is whether the model is convincing as a model of a real railway rather that a model of a model railway . What I mean by that is a lot of people build what in their eyes is a super duper hi-tech , layout but to my eyes it doesn’t look like, nor is it operated like the real railway. You have alluded to this several times in posts on this thread regarding layouts with fundamental operating errors.

There is no such thing as a perfect model but some people build convincing models which is not the same thing.

When I look at the pictures of Sheffield Exchange I don’t see cut and shuts and unpainted platforms. When I look at the station throat I see Kings Cross as it was. When I look into the station itself I see St Pancras as it was. When I look at some “typical GWR “ BLT with a half a dozen Pacific’s in the yard and a platform that barely takes two coaches I don’t give a second glance whatever the power source

I suppose what I am saying is you have a great train set based on a great concept, and it’s bound to attract the moaners and the knockers . If a tiny minority want to nit pick then take it as a compliment because if it wasn’t a great layout they wouldn’t be jealous of it..  If you terminate the thread a lot of people will miss it, because it really is a lovely concept ( even more so now the steam stud has expanded to include a Brit :rolleyes:).

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Clive,

for my two penn'orth, don't go!  Don't let the jealous numpties win!  You inspired me to have a go, and to be happy with what I can achieve, even though it's not up to museum standards!  Some people are only happy when being negative.  I have learned to ignore them and get on with things.  They are not my problem!  Now, converting an old Tri-ang weltrol to EM with S & W couplings is!

Roja

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Nooòoooooooooooo!!!!!!!

You're NOT wrong, see Hornby's new HM6000.

Ignore/block the idiot, but don't let the bu**er win by leaving. 

Better still, tell us who's upset you and we'll all go and pick holes in his thread.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yours is one of the gold threads where stuff still gets made so please don’t let the idiots force you out.

Edited by john new
Rewording for clarity
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Better still, tell us who's upset you and we'll all go and pick holes in his thread.

Hi Stubby,

That won't work because only passive aggression is allowed on RMWeb, which for some reason is the method used by those 'box opener types' that make habit of slagging folk off while mummy makes them dippy egg and soldiers. Having a good go back at such 'box opener types' is frowned upon as if they are a protected species by other 'box opener types' who are just as spineless.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

Hi Clive,

To echo what everyone else says, I hope you won't leave.

Your modelling is about what makes you happy, it doesn't matter a jot if Joe Blogs would do it differently or says you are wrong. If (just for example) someone else is happy spending £300 on a top loco with top DCC sound and just running it with out of the box stock, that's great for them, but wrong for them to be asserting we must all do the same. I would find it boring very quickly I have to say.

My point being, we all want different things out of the hobby and no-one has the right to tell you that your way of doing things is wrong. More over, there are many more of us who DO appreciate your modelling and the inspiration it gives us in our own projects.

I must confess I find myself posting more on Facebook of late, the engagement is much greater than on here and there are no photo download size limits . However the style of posting is not as refined, especially if you like to inter weave text with photos, to build a story, which is my preferred style. Horses for courses perhaps, and I'm sure there are people lurking there who are also just as happy to "correct your methodology" at some point.

But I hope you will rethink Clive. You may not be able to please everyone but so what? Perhaps sleep on it, as they say.

Best regards,

Martyn.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and those who have viewed it.

Sheffield Exchange is going off air.....I had a someone whose modelling level is to ask "Is there much difference between poly cement (Humbrol) and good old super glue?" say  "You are established in traditional technology that is dying."

For years I had people being critical of my diesel modelling, and my use of plastic card. Both have in my mind been as successful as I hoped. I am always willing to share my information and do enjoy helping people sadly that has come to an end. I am now being constantly told I am WRONG for being a DC user and trying to show others what can be achieved. 

Should you want to keep up with events please ask to join the Sheffield Exchange Facebook Group. Or if a DEMU member , I recommend you join, on the DEMU forum. 

Seriously Clive?  Don't do it.  I refuse to do Facebook (plus there's household admin reasons why it would be a pain in the arruss to do so).  This forum will greatly miss the contributions of a modeller and not another box owner.

It's a sad day when people are convinced they are in the right and have made all the right life choices just because their wallets are bigger.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

Seriously Clive?  Don't do it.  I refuse to do Facebook (plus there's household admin reasons why it would be a pain in the arruss to do so).  This forum will greatly the contributions of a modeller and not another box owner.

It's a sad day when people are convinced they are in the right and have made all the right life choices just because their wallets are bigger.

Hi Northmoor,

Not only are their wallets bigger, everything that really matters in life is inversely proportionate to their wallet. or at the very least as leathery !!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Clive,

I’ve never contributed to your thread, but I always read it! I enjoy it enormously and take great encouragement from it.

Please ignore the simpletons, who take pleasure in putting down those they can’t hope to emulate, and don’t deprive the rest of us of the pleasure your thread gives.

Phil.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had a good chat with YOUNG Clive on the phone last night, and can fully understand his reasoning, I too don't / WON'T do Facebook, so I too hope he will sit back and reflect on all the knowledge he passes on to others on here.

I'm no Kit or Scratch Builder, but I do get inspired by the workmanship and knowledge he passes over on these pages.

I threw my toys out of the pram a couple of years back when I had a nasty comment on here from someone who I had admired up to that point, but I eventually calmed down, and now enjoy RM W again, and I hope over the coming days or even weeks Clive will reflect, and do the same, even though it hurts to do so at first.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Mr Mortimer

You are no snowflake! Your modelling on here is inspirational and we will all be the poorer without you. Please think again! 

Lord Phil of Abbotswood (probably ought to be Kingham actually to be prototypical....)

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Noooooooooooooo Clive you must stay ........in fact I bl--dy order you too ............sod the trains just keep the music and fun .........though the trains are good :rolleyes:

By order of 

Lord Roberts of Carrog .......

you will be mentioned in dispatches ......:danced:

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, please listen to all the good and normal people who are asking you to carry on giving us all modelling to admire, laughs along the way, and a great deal of pleasure. My little world would be poorer without you. I've just been through a lot of this in my golf club role, and became very stressed and upset. I recently realised that what I should do is just keep away from that sort of person, and ignore them and their insulting and ill informed comments. I now feel a good deal better. Please do the same.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Clive, I've just read through the latest posts on here and I'm dismayed that you are thinking of leaving this forum. Just because some 'numbnuts dick' who doesn't know the difference between poly cement and superglue feels the need to make crass statements about traditional technology ought to perhaps think that if he paid more attention to traditional technology in the first place, he would know what utter cr*p he was talking. Please hang on in there Clive the whole thing about railway modelling is that it's origins stem from tradition, keep on doing what you are doing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I dislike Facebook

I hate the whole idea of it, the force fed sh1te. I avoid it as much as possible.

I only have an account because my wife made one to get extra rubbish in a game.

For years it lived as 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com in HOSTS

Also you will miss seeing my 119 DMU when complete!

Need to stay here with me and Signaller69 to compare DMUs

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Clive,

I've followed your thread for a long time and love the way you'll dismember a couple of vehicles to turn it to something you want. Sticking with DC is merely proving the KISS principle. 

As for the Glue question and Muppet asking it, displays the usual attitude of those that love to follow the latest trend, but have no concept on how all the existing equipment works.

As for Facebook it is a no go area for me. My employer monitors that place looking for disgruntled train related comments.  Ironically, new trains would be more reliable if KISS was followed.

kind regards

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1