Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

....so you're not enthralled by Cleethorpes and Skeggy then? Quite a few caravans at both I seem to remember.

As far as Cornwall goes, my wife is from Newlyn just west of Penzance. It might have had compensations in the days of the Hydraulics, but sadly nowadays has next to no redeeming features, and in fact is one of the most  economically deprived parts of Britain. As for the locals view of their health services, I'd better keep quiet for fear of legal action, should we say don't get sick while you're there.

John.

Last time I was in Penzance I had a very memorable steak and elastic band pie and chips. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hopefully, it is to do with that old fashioned idea called meeting your customer face to face?

Happy Days!!

Paul

Do people do that still, how quaint.

I just sit at home typing into a computer.

Mind, I have also grown my belly, hair, a beard and sit around in scruffs - not sure the customer's would want to meet me face to face anymore and if they did, can I fit in pants?

I think Mr G Fritters is actually going there for some actual bona fide research of the book kind, books that only exist in a museum setting and are well respected.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

We're not totally backward down here y'know, we have the internet and everything.

News can be a little slow at times though - we're still waiting for the next orbit of Sputnik  and does anyone know if the Titanic has made it to New York yet?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Andy,

In the spirit of, "be careful of what you wish for", you wanted him back and he brought the above mentioned music videos with him !!!

Rough with the smooth I suppose.

Gibbo.

Something smooth

Not so smooth

Back to smooth

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

....so you're not enthralled by Cleethorpes and Skeggy then? Quite a few caravans at both I seem to remember.

As far as Cornwall goes, my wife is from Newlyn just west of Penzance. It might have had compensations in the days of the Hydraulics, but sadly nowadays has next to no redeeming features, and in fact is one of the most  economically deprived parts of Britain. As for the locals view of their health services, I'd better keep quiet for fear of legal action, should we say don't get sick while you're there.

The same applies to almost every seaside resort town in the UK, they attract a lot of people for whom "life just hasn't quite worked out".  I grew up in far West Wales; idyllic around the coast and rightly popular during the holiday periods.  But is also has Pembroke Dock, a town with one of the lowest mean incomes in South Wales.

Towns like Great Yarmouth, Blackpool, Hastings and Folkestone are famous for their social problems.  Brighton might be trendy but in my recent experience has more homeless than London.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The same applies to almost every seaside resort town in the UK, they attract a lot of people for whom "life just hasn't quite worked out".  I grew up in far West Wales; idyllic around the coast and rightly popular during the holiday periods.  But is also has Pembroke Dock, a town with one of the lowest mean incomes in South Wales.

Towns like Great Yarmouth, Blackpool, Hastings and Folkestone are famous for their social problems.  Brighton might be trendy but in my recent experience has more homeless than London.  

Skeggy and Maplethorpe are like that full of old people who remembered their week's holiday when they wee kids. In fact there are so many of those electric scooter things in Maplethorpe the high street looks like the dodgems have escaped from the fun fair.

• Funny 12

40 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Hi Northmoor,

Blackpool, not the end of the world but you can see it from there. That's right Barrow can just be seen when its not raining !

As for Morecambe we always knew it as More Can Be [done] !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2020 at 22:15, Northmoor said:

The trouble is doing anything about it is seen as being overly political. Here in Dorset the contrasts are ridiculous, both Bournemouth and  Weymouth have wards that are rated in the top 10% nationally by wealth (measured on the Govt official scale) and at the same time other wards that are in the lowest 10% on the HMG’s equivalent deprivation scale. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been running some light engines tonight, the new steam locos. They only ran as light engines because I couldn't be bothered to source some carriages for them.

I enjoyed that, even though it did sound like a Eurovision entry!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I hope so :D

Hi Doc

You have been reading all these big complicated books on philosophy so you can become an academic doctor not one that can sign death certificates? Will the end result mean more model railway tokens? If so then it might be worth while putting up with nothing to do in Kernow for a few nights.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

chortle

I like the Streets, and did you notice the random Father Xmas photo. You don't get them with your new fangled digital cameras like you did when you took your film to to the lady in Boots.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2