Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

How may DMU's ?!?!

Just for laughs here is a newly painted EMU centre car !

DSCF0903.JPG.b9b65a827f31933501c3e715378f71ef.JPG

Car 85 of a 5 BEL set a bit out of its way in Sheffield Exchange even for an unusually Master Cutler service.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

To answer your sensible question, of how many DMUs? I had a count up last night, one two, three, four, five, six , er, er, well lots.

Everyone pop over to Gibbo's train building thread, he don't 'alf make some nice stuff.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

To answer your sensible question, of how many DMUs? I had a count up last night, one two, three, four, five, six , er, er, well lots.

Everyone pop over to Gibbo's train building thread, he don't 'alf make some nice stuff.

Hi Clive,

Too kind by half.

If anyone does look at the stuff on my thread, please don't be disappointed !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

I have just been and counted the unmade MTK kits I have.

Do I need a Derby Lightweight? They do not seem to be a type operative on the lines that are supposed to go into Sheff Ex. That is why my Bachy one is in its box.

Do I need a Wickhams  (class 109, for those who cannot remember pre decimalisation ) or a Park Royal (class 103) as they never ran into Sheffield?

Do I need another Gloucester parcels unit. I have one for Sheff Ex and one for Pig Lane?

Do I need a Swindon 4 car inter city (class 123) unit, I am already building a 8 car set from Tri-ang bits and bobs and in the time era that I model they did not appear at Sheff Ex?

Do I need another Met Cam unit?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Do I need a Derby Lightweight? They do not seem to be a type operative on the lines that are supposed to go into Sheff Ex. That is why my Bachy one is in its box.

Do I need a Wickhams  (class 109, for those who cannot remember pre decimalisation ) or a Park Royal (class 103) as they never ran into Sheffield?

Do I need another Gloucester parcels unit. I have one for Sheff Ex and one for Pig Lane?

Do I need a Swindon 4 car inter city (class 123) unit, I am already building a 8 car set from Tri-ang bits and bobs and in the time era that I model they did not appear at Sheff Ex?

Clive,

When did "need" EVER come into our purchasing decisions???

I will fetch my hat.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

Hi Clive,

Here are the solutions to your [un]problems:

1. Derby Lightweight into departmental livery/RTC.
  2. Wickham unit could be a managers saloon as on the former GER.
  3. Gloucester parcels, there were plenty of them at Newton Heath just put them onto a Manchester through service every now and again. 
  4. Swindon Inter City, Reading or Oxford must playing away in a Cup game and it has arrived on a Foot-Ex.
  5. Metropolitan Cammell, there were too many of them anyway !

Sorted.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Clive,

When did "need" EVER come into our purchasing decisions???

I will fetch my hat.......

Yeah see that was my problem, need never came into it.

Anyhow it wasn't till last year that the MTK Derby Long frame, the Gloucester, BRCW and the Cravens were given power units after 30 odd years and they are Sheff Ex units.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Here are the solutions to your [un]problems:

1. Derby Lightweight into departmental livery/RTC.
  2. Wickham unit could be a managers saloon as on the former GER.
  3. Gloucester parcels, there were plenty of them at Newton Heath just put them onto a Manchester through service every now and again. 
  4. Swindon Inter City, Reading or Oxford must playing away in a Cup game and it has arrived on a Foot-Ex.
  5. Metropolitan Cammell, there were too many of them anyway !

Sorted.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

There are some nice ideas.

1. The RTC livery one did not appear until after my time period. :dontknow:

2. Same with the Wickhams, they were happy living in sleepy Norwich. :lazy:

3. The Gloucester has gangway ends so is a WR one,:rtfm:   unless......

4. it is attached to the Swindon unit carrying the beer (or cider if it is Argyle). :drinks:

5. To many, now that is a problem. :read:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gibbo

There are some nice ideas.

1. The RTC livery one did not appear until after my time period. :dontknow:

2. Same with the Wickhams, they were happy living in sleepy Norwich. :lazy:

3. The Gloucester has gangway ends so is a WR one,:rtfm:   unless......

4. it is attached to the Swindon unit carrying the beer (or cider if it is Argyle). :drinks:

5. To many, now that is a problem. :read:

You are making the rules up as you go along anyway, so why worry?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So a couple of Pacers then for the locals and a Voyager for your cross country services :lol:

Ah! That is a good suggestion. A Vomiter in traditional DMU green with cream lining.

I think you have had this one before but it is a good one

If anyone can read Russian can you please translate it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Going back a few hours to Johnny Cash, it was Ring of Fire I had in mind...

Anyway, 

If anyone can read Russian can you please translate it.

I can read the Cyrillic script (nice one Cyril) but I can't understand it - does that help?

I managed to retype the Russian, but as I'm not very good with italics/handwriting fonts, I got:

Italic: С лорьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждамь

Straight: С лорьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждамь

Which Google Translate suggested should actually be:

Italic: С горьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждать 

Straight: С горьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждать 

That version looks right in italics, so Google suggests a translation of:

With a bitter aftertaste of memories, I keep waiting

Sounds plausible I reckon.

Edit: fits with the lyrics given here:
https://www.jpopasia.com/piko/lyrics/298708/yoshiwara-lament/aishuu-rain-cafeteria-sekihan/

Edited by eastwestdivide
Japanese lyrics site
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Feeling brave, just spent an hour at the hospital riding a horizontal bike whilst being pumped full of some contrast fluid with a Cardiographer taking pictures of my beating heart.

We need lots of people to click on "friendly/supportive" 'cos that's got the right icon for this situation! Hope things went ok...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Going back a few hours to Johnny Cash, it was Ring of Fire I had in mind...

Anyway, 

I can read the Cyrillic script (nice one Cyril) but I can't understand it - does that help?

I managed to retype the Russian, but as I'm not very good with italics/handwriting fonts, I got:

Italic: С лорьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждамь

Straight: С лорьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждамь

Which Google Translate suggested should actually be:

Italic: С горьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждать 

Straight: С горьким привкусом воспоминаний я продолжаю ждать 

That version looks right in italics, so Google suggests a translation of:

With a bitter aftertaste of memories, I keep waiting

Sounds plausible I reckon.

Edit: fits with the lyrics given here:
https://www.jpopasia.com/piko/lyrics/298708/yoshiwara-lament/aishuu-rain-cafeteria-sekihan/

Wow thanks Eastwest. 

There are pure Japanese versions of this song, some better than others. This is the only one I have found with Asa the writer singing on it, along with Machiya and Wasabi from the Wagakki Band. 

A Japanese song, with Russian sub titles being discussed on a mainly British model railway forum. Music is so international. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Feeling brave, just spent an hour at the hospital riding a horizontal bike whilst being pumped full of some contrast fluid with a Cardiographer taking pictures of my beating heart.

All the best Woody. I hope they find what they are looking for and treat you accordingly. 

Is it a radio active angiogram, because I had one of them many years ago? I had a lot of investigations for chest pain, admitted once with  suspected heart attack. 

When I had the simple ordinary angiogram it was done by a consultant who I worked with when I was nursing. As I was slightly older than the junior doctors, they all called me uncle Clive. When she came round to see everyone lined up for their procedure she said "Hello Uncle Clive". I could here one patient say to his wife , "He'll get better treatment he is her uncle." 

Upshot of all the investigations despite the chest pain, the breathing problems and the ECGs causing junior doctors to get excited they couldn't find what was wrong. About the same time I started my dog walking business and the pain stopped, the breathing improved  and my mental state got better. The very nice trickcyclist who was also looking after me said that I couldn't have been imaging the pain. Both her and my cardiologist said it could be my blood vessels going into spasm  due to stress. Thank goodness I left the job I was doing it isn't nice thinking will I see the day out when the GTN spray doesn't stop the pain. 

• Friendly/supportive 5