Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have just been and counted the unmade MTK kits I have.

Do I need a Derby Lightweight? They do not seem to be a type operative on the lines that are supposed to go into Sheff Ex. That is why my Bachy one is in its box.

Do I need a Wickhams  (class 109, for those who cannot remember pre decimalisation ) or a Park Royal (class 103) as they never ran into Sheffield?

Do I need another Gloucester parcels unit. I have one for Sheff Ex and one for Pig Lane?

Do I need a Swindon 4 car inter city (class 123) unit, I am already building a 8 car set from Tri-ang bits and bobs and in the time era that I model they did not appear at Sheff Ex?

Do I need another Met Cam unit?

OK I have come back into the toy room and put the MTK boxes back on the will I ever do these pile except the Met Cam, it is now on the DMUs to do pile. 

What I need is a Tri-ang and a DC kits Met-Cams then I will have won Met-Cam bingo. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

OK I have come back into the toy room and put the MTK boxes back on the will I ever do these pile except the Met Cam, it is now on the DMUs to do pile. 

What I need is a Tri-ang and a DC kits Met-Cams then I will have won Met-Cam bingo. 

Hi Clive,

Is there a help line for this sort of thing ???

If so, how long before I need it also ???

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The 3 car Cravens unit departs shorty afterwards, it is an empty stock working. Later in the day it will return to to form a stopping service to Manchester. Only 3 coaches rattling between two of Britain's important northern cities. No wonder when the M62 was finished people use it.

024a.jpg.e2ce9bcab1e175d515d2eac6ac86678f.jpg

Still no movement at the diesel depot. Only a few years ago every train needed a fresh loco and the two loco yards were very busy.

Edit... I forgot to add this one of two "Tri-ang" based DMUs

027a.jpg.cc7d080b6dace83f909741a4bf97b1ff.jpg

Look at those boxes under the train set....and they are not mine.

Nice to see a real railway being run!

Are the Tri-ang DMUs lengthened, or still short?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You mean you have Piles?:o

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Nice to see a real railway being run!

Are the Tri-ang DMUs lengthened, or still short?

Hi Muddy

Thank you. 

The two units I was referring to are a Cravens 3 car that I used Tri-ang Mk1 coaches to make. The other is a 6 car Transpennine unit again using Tri-ang Mk1s as a basis.  Both are unfinished, the Cravens was started back in 1986 and the Transpennine is about 3 or 4 years younger. It is only since I built Sheffield Exchange that I got them running. , It is a hobby not a chore. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I had an operating session, we had a special the Midland Blue Pullman.  

When I was packing up I thought I better sort out some stuff to take to Mr Mallard's as I am going Up The Junction tomorrow. I needed an empty stock box to bung the toys I am taking for show and tell. So I emptied my Blue Pullman box, it is an old Tri-ang one which I have modified the windows to represent the Midland Pullman, the full six car. Temptation over took me, and I put it on the track. Purrrrrr went the motor but nothing moved. I cannot remember last time I ran the power car and I don't think I have ever run the whole train. So I oiled up the motor bogie, and a gentle purr and movement happened, both ways. I coupled it up to the rest of the train and it was struggling. All but one coach had an axle that had popped out of its axle box. Soon rectified. Off it went like a rocket, no problems through the code 100 points on the inner circuit. I stopped her and ran her at slow speed, great. I then reversed the controller and even at full speed pushing the five unpowered coaches everything stayed on the track.

Back to going the right way and then I decided to try and get her into the station. From the GNR down line to platform 3 (the others were occupied) that is almost across the whole station throat, seven points of which two are double slips and two are three ways. The old deep flanged Tri-ang wheels did bounce along a bit but all stayed on the track. Excellent. I had a real "Eat your heart out Bachmann" moment.

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Tonight I had an operating session, we had a special the Midland Blue Pullman.  

When I was packing up I thought I better sort out some stuff to take to Mr Mallard's as I am going Up The Junction tomorrow. I needed an empty stock box to bung the toys I am taking for show and tell. So I emptied my Blue Pullman box, it is an old Tri-ang one which I have modified the windows to represent the Midland Pullman, the full six car. Temptation over took me, and I put it on the track. Purrrrrr went the motor but nothing moved. I cannot remember last time I ran the power car and I don't think I have ever run the whole train. So I oiled up the motor bogie, and a gentle purr and movement happened, both ways. I coupled it up to the rest of the train and it was struggling. All but one coach had an axle that had popped out of its axle box. Soon rectified. Off it went like a rocket, no problems through the code 100 points on the inner circuit. I stopped her and ran her at slow speed, great. I then reversed the controller and even at full speed pushing the five unpowered coaches everything stayed on the track.

Back to going the right way and then I decided to try and get her into the station. From the GNR down line to platform 3 (the others were occupied) that is almost across the whole station throat, seven points of which two are double slips and two are three ways. The old deep flanged Tri-ang wheels did bounce along a bit but all stayed on the track. Excellent. I had a real "Eat your heart out Bachmann" moment.

Hi Clive,

Here is my Triang Cuttery and Shuttery:

DSCF0881.JPG.958f430fb0b55fab9f5e29ced648bcfc.JPG

They do scrub up well don't they?

Gibbo.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

HI Gibbo

Lovely. Where did you source the correct bogies?

Hi Clive,

The power car bogies are Lima class 73 with the shoe gear carved off and the parlour car bogies are Hornby B4's also carved about to look more like the Schlieran bogies. Not quite accurate but near enough. The B1's went for bogie swaps under various Mk1's and GUV's.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, MJI said:

I have a similar issue

Hornby 110, what can I do with it?

Nice model, not WR or MR

Hi Martin,

I made a Park Royal 103, they were based at Chester. Would they have worked through to the Worcester area ?

DSCF0596.JPG.3657e38d4696de99c2241709db9202e6.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

The power car bogies are Lima class 73 with the shoe gear carved off and the parlour car bogies are Hornby B4's also carved about to look more like the Schlieran bogies. Not quite accurate but near enough. The B1's went for bogie swaps under various Mk1's and GUV's.

Gibbo.

That Pullman looks stunning, my mate has just done a similar job, but you looks terrific Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's song is by an old workmate of mine.

Hi Clive,

Isn't social engineering just fabulous ?

I note that the architect didn't have any french curves in his drawing set !

Is it any wonder that people living in such places look like Edvard Munch's "The Scream" ?

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Isn't social engineering just fabulous ?

I note that the architect didn't have any french curves in his drawing set !

Is it any wonder that people living in such places look like Edvard Munch's "The Scream" ?

Gibbo.

Are but did you spot the Dorringtons shop at the Stow? They are the best bakers in Essex, no one does jam doughnuts as nice as Dorringtons.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Muddy

Thank you. 

The two units I was referring to are a Cravens 3 car that I used Tri-ang Mk1 coaches to make. The other is a 6 car Transpennine unit again using Tri-ang Mk1s as a basis.  Both are unfinished, the Cravens was started back in 1986 and the Transpennine is about 3 or 4 years younger. It is only since I built Sheffield Exchange that I got them running. , It is a hobby not a chore. 

And there was me worrying about restarting some projects that I last touched 20 years ago!

Agree that its a hobby not a chore.

I used to worry that my part built projects would get overtaken by shiny new Manufactured items, but the price so many of them are now -who cares!!

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 2

Talking to my mate this morning that has done the old Blue Pullman, he has made his an 8 Car Western Region Set, and used a Heljan 128 Parcels unit Chassis in a centre coach for the power, it's both quiet and silky smooth, and looks the nuts as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I hope not too

That said though, I've just had a terrible thought, if I build too many EMU's will I turn into Rod Hull ?

Gibbo.

Turning into Rod Hull is only possible after coming off Nidd from Bank (or Moorgate) with a 'Rushton Swing', or if Cliff Richard is on the panel.  Whichever, you're two moves from Mornington Crescent.  The EMUs are slightly smaller (and capable of tighter turns) in all these cases.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5