Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Today I rearranged the stock for a winter 1968 timetable, the last one.  I still cannot get the image of Mrs M riding on the back of a sheep, poor sheep.

All long distance services, apart from trains to Manchester, have been re-routed or now longer run. Trains between hull and Sheffield Exchnage still run but you need to change for Manchester as there no longer any through services, and the connections are quite poor.

Even both fuddle yards seem quite empty.

a005.jpg.4275107966e0aad46df25ebd7a90b6bf.jpg

a006.jpg.542067ec649c5fc9d27a8120a3dd018b.jpg

The station no longer sees many long trains and looks quite deserted.

a008.jpg.3a7545be3bfc2547c4a47eda3f076647.jpg

Hallham Potato and Vegetable yard is still operative but slowly less and less green grocers are having their stock delivered by rail.

a011.jpg.5961aa67c00c594d2a454e37631bb497.jpg

The 1961 conversion of the old L&YR loco yard to diesels, according to my dad, appears to have been a waste of money these days with only two locos "On Shed".

a012.jpg.c61cffa81915c352c97fb1f5e1ae996d.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The first arrival we see to today is a local from Doncaster.

a014.jpg.eda8104f2ce38efb3917a1b1f0b6ff2a.jpg

Followed a few minutes by the departure of a Leeds and Bradford service, these still being made of two units which are divided on route, all are now stoppers. The limited stop trains having more stops added. The late running train from Halifax is halted at the signal awaiting the departure of the Leeds/Bradford.

a016.jpg.9742396c4b15da5c35f8fb025ae5f69e.jpg

It seems ages before the next movement, the departure of the Parcels for Doncaster and destinations northwards. These days we are not treated to long trains snaking over the point work.

a019.jpg.d40ea6ff35ab4b9d72ae638238ce4151.jpg

a020.jpg.f8ad4cfe74261de6804f4a77b08a4af3.jpg

The type two making its way to the loco yard looks very lonely.

a021.jpg.b9045b097dccc554fd18ec026eb06109.jpg

Looking equally lonely are the trains waiting their passengers.

• Like 18

47 minutes ago, rilksy said:

image.png.4f3a6c5708ee08e786408a980a2f9f15.png

Hi Rilsky,

A funny as the picture in your post is the real highlight is this:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end..."

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Rilsky,

A funny as the picture in your post is the real highlight is this:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end..."

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Yes it is possible to do, just that most people are totally clueless as to which is the clean end.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

Yes it is possible to do, just that most people are totally clueless as to which is the clean end.

Easy peasy. The opposite end from the dirty one.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

a023.jpg.ccf30a288932a025133582a767cf6290.jpg

A LMR 3 car Cravens arrives ECS from the old GNR coach sidings, it will form the stopper to Manchester over the old L&YR route via Todmorden.

a025.jpg.f47090f86e9191e62b29836b1dc4966d.jpg

The late arrival Halifax train is soon on its way back to where it came from with a return service.

a027.jpg.1ab3de8249e2a3be93144ad559bec504.jpg

A train formed of five cars arrives from Leeds and Bradford, trying to sneak in behind the signal box.

You would think with there being less trains life in the signal box would become quite, not always. The next set of photos shows arrivals from Bransley and Hull as a Manchester "express" via the LNWR line via Oldham departs along with a train to Doncaster. The signalman has a few nice names for the timetable planners.

a029.jpg.b82146e4e328394d3472766471606dea.jpg

a031.jpg.ec3797538efc0b53ce2793ab9b409f73.jpg

a032.jpg.ebb8d57788fdc39843994627d6bcec26.jpg

TheBarnsley train has to wait until the Manchester train clears the signals before the signalman can change the route to its platform.

Hi Clive and all,

Its nice to see some pics of a busy station with more than two trains!

Its also good that you are not afraid to show us things running that are not quite finished in a landscape that is not quite finished, but at least you are getting on with the important (IMHO) part of modelling -running trains!!

I am encouraged that, when my layout is capable of running trains, I can show it doing just that, never mind if it takes me "x" years (where x is a figure that just keeps growing) to do the scenic. 

Keep up the good work and lets see plenty more photos of running sessions.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Its also good that you are not afraid to show us things running that are not quite finished in a landscape that is not quite finished, but at least you are getting on with the important (IMHO) part of modelling -running trains!!

Waddya mean not finished?   :D

Using the 80/20 rule this is pretty much complete - you see trains running, signals with lights ablaze, there are platforms for the passengers and somewhere for the trains to go and stable. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Woodenhead,

Nothing of mine is anything even approaching unfinished, it is mostly in the category labelled, "nearly started" !!!

Gibbo.

I've got a baseboard kit still in the parcel it was delivered to me in stood behind me keeping a cupboard upright.

How's that for unfinished...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Nice to see the units running again Clive, but I do have a concern.

If you keep moving ahead in time for every running session, at some point a running session will consist of pushing Marple & Gillott lorries around (whilst making appropriate noises), maybe with one of your cranes removing track panels. 

Train wise an 03, the crane and a Sturgeon or Bolster D for track or rails should suffice.

But let's hope not! :jester:

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Clive and all,

Its nice to see some pics of a busy station with more than two trains!

I am encouraged that, when my layout is capable of running trains, I can show it doing just that, never mind if it takes me "x" years (where x is a figure that just keeps growing) to do the scenic. 

Keep up the good work and lets see plenty more photos of running sessions.

Cheers

Paul

As an older modeller than some I wonder if we actually need the scenic treatment that is supposed to be the be all and end all these days. Sheffield Exchange, as it is, arguably has just about enough now as it has enough to set the scene for operations. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Nice to see the units running again Clive, but I do have a concern.

If you keep moving ahead in time for every running session, at some point a running session will consist of pushing Marple & Gillott lorries around (whilst making appropriate noises), maybe with one of your cranes removing track panels. 

Train wise an 03, the crane and a Sturgeon or Bolster D for track or rails should suffice.

But let's hope not! :jester:

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

After the 03 / Sturgeon / crane action Clive could then give us a demonstration of how to accurately model crinkly tin shed tat shops, or as they are more correctly known, retail parks. The station facade could be re-purposed as a wine bar for those that like to buy overpriced chipboard at Swedish MFI.

If he spoke nicely to Corbs he could be advised upon how to radio control small cars that do doughnuts in the car park after hours, later being chased off by the rozzers.

Gibbo.

• Funny 12

Hi Clive , in order that we can let Gilbert have his thread back, and apropos, nothing in particular to with Sheffield Exchange , could briefly explain any  (non electrical ) differences  between the AM2’s and AM7’s as built ?

BTW the all DMU pictures of SE, seem to me to convey the the atmosphere of Hull in the 80’s when I was travelling up there frequently in the 80’s - big station, seen better days now underused . The trains reflected it as well, a right bunch of old rattlers they were at that time . Nice train set coming on there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi Clive , in order that we can let Gilbert have his thread back, and apropos, nothing in particular to with Sheffield Exchange , could briefly explain any  (non electrical ) differences  between the AM2’s and AM7’s as built ?

BTW the all DMU pictures of SE, seem to me to convey the the atmosphere of Hull in the 80’s when I was travelling up there frequently in the 80’s - big station, seen better days now underused . The trains reflected it as well, a right bunch of old rattlers they were at that time . Nice train set coming on there.

Clive's photos and description remind me a lot of the photos I've seen of the last days of Liverpool Exchange.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Clive's photos and description remind me a lot of the photos I've seen of the last days of Liverpool Exchange.

And the bay platforms in Victoria (M’cr) in their latter days.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

Hi Jazzer.

AM7s or 307s for those born after decimalisation started life as being called Southend Stock. They were built at Eastleigh and had SR type cabs and bogies (BR Mk2s with roller bearings) other wise they are Mk1 suburban coaches. When first built their formation was Driving Trailer Second Open Lavatory, Motor Brake Second (with the pantograph), Trailer Semi Open Composite Lavatory and Driving Trailer Second. There were built to operate off the 1500v DC system then in use on the Liverpool Street lines.

As part of the modernisation process the lines from Liverpool Street to Clacton, Chingford, Bishops Sortford and Hertford were up graded to 25Kv AC, except the older 1500v DC lines which were converted to 6.25Kv AC. This meant the "new" Southend Stock was unusable unless it was converted, which it was, this conversion involved adding transformers and rectifiers and moving the pantograph to the Driver Trailer Second. At the same time the guards accommodation was moved making the Diver Trailer Second into a Driver Trailer Brake Second. The Motor Brake Second retained the motors and traction control gear, but body wise had the brake van replaced with the compartments from the Driver Trailer Second. The formation changed at the same time to Driving Trailer Second Open Lavatory, Trailer Semi Open Composite Lavatory, Motor Second and Driving Trailer Brake Second (with the pantograph).   At thsi point in time the Southend Stock were called AM7. They also received 4 figure headcode display.

In the 80s they were refurbished with gangways and all coaches became open saloons, the First Class was relocated to the former DTSO, the TC became all Standard Class and many had their trailer bogies replaced with more comfortable riding B4s.

AM2s (class 302) are a product of Doncaster works, they are similar in appearance to Southend Stock when it was new. The formation was the same Driving Trailer Second Open Lavatory, Motor Brake Second (with the pantograph), Trailer Semi Open Composite Lavatory and Driving Trailer Second. The biggest two differences are the cab fronts and the bogies. The cab fronts were flat like a AM7 but had narrower center section and wider cab windows. The coaches ran on Gresley bogies with roller bearings.

To tell the two apart is quite easy. No four figure headcode in all green, Southend Stock. Four figure headcode box in all green, green small yellow, blue and blue grey, AM7s have the pantograph on one of the end coaches the AM2s have it on a middle coach. If that is not visible then the bogies under the cab if a Gresley it is a 302 and if a strange looking BR type a 307.  The same spot the difference continued until they were withdrawn, except later refurbished 307s had B4 bogies, 302s didn't. 

Not the best way to tell apart but here are my respective part built models.

002.jpg.ba5886ac233d1f9fadc50d57e94e892a.jpg

AM7 on the left and AM2 on the right.

003.jpg.1684b93a66f90099a6ff00145f43abad.jpg

AM7 has the roof cut out ready for the lower section of roof for the pantograph on the leading coach. AM2 on one of the center coaches.

001.jpg.51cf07a4513e0408c2b11d120bb6f6c6.jpg

AM7 has yet to modified BR type bogie and AM2 has Gresley type

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Clive,

I enjoyed reading your post about the AM2 and AM7 sparkly bug crates and even more impressed that you have yet again demonstrated the skill to produce something that cannot be bought in a box from China from a crinkly tin tat shop on the former site of Sheffield Exchange. Thankfully I live 18 miles form the nearest wine bar.

A trip to the book case found me looking at British Rail Fleet Survey 11 which is the overhead sparkly bug crate book within the series. While looking at subject matter presented I had a gander at Clacton units, in maroon of course, and sneaky peek at the AM1's.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2