Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

And then all that lovely lining! :swoon:

Gotta fill all the gaps up before I get the paint out. Then I am going to teach myself how to use a bow pen.

All the roofs need new vents, the ends need sorting out especially the gangways on Lima and Tri-ang coaches.

Lots of fun still to have.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Progress with the new coach conversions was delayed this evening owing to several factors. The two BCKs are done. The SK (or TSO) and the BG will have to wait until tomorrow. The RMB from the Hackett coach is looking very sad as I haven't done anything with it.

My eldest said that my new coaches looked OK viewing them from the other side of the room without her glasses on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Progress with the new coach conversions was delayed this evening owing to several factors. The two BCKs are done. The SK (or TSO) and the BG will have to wait until tomorrow. The RMB from the Hackett coach is looking very sad as I haven't done anything with it.

My eldest said that my new coaches looked OK viewing them from the other side of the room without her glasses on.

Hi Clive,

Does your eldest actually know what they are even looking at ?

If not, I wouldn't worry about what is said.

Gibbo.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They look OK from here too!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Folks,

Talking of paint jobs I went looking for my Mk1 suburban brake coach which is to painted grey to into my Freightliners consist and I thought that I might have a count up of what I have in the Mk1 box. Out of 38 coaches only three are fit to run as in they are painted and actually have bogies attached rather than in another box somewhere else.

120052078_DSCF09391.JPG.7c42f1bcdbf1796ea5ae747adeac7861.JPG

The eagle eyed may notice that there are the same amount of SK's as BG's, (two are SO's from bits of buffet car) this is because a BSK cut in half and the bits stuck back together one on a shortened underframe makes one of each.

Lets see if Clive is able to correctly identify all of the carriage diagrams that I have cut and shut.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

11 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Coo, and I thought I had a lot of coaches!!

Forgive me being thick, but I thought the Mk1 SO and SK had the same sides, is this not so?

John.

Hi John,

The SO and SK do indeed have the same outside arrangement but the insides are different which may not be seen in the photograph, the reason I noted it.

I have far too much stuff and it all seems to need attention. The plan is to work through it all while avoiding distractions for I have plenty to go at without building new stuff that remains unpainted also. Only one coach to repaint for the entirety of my Freightliner stock to be complete, extra boxes don't really count. Today's work is centred around re-positioning the bogie pivots of the BG's and masking off some more of my Pullmans for the cream paint.

I sort of have a plan but there are always motorcycles, tea and Flavia Equitania to be dealing with.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A generic question for Gibbo and Clive.

Why don't you paintstrip the coaches before setting about them, IMHO it gives a lot better base to set off from when refining and refinishing?

Not saying you're doing anything wrong, just interested, after all it is each to their own!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Why don't you paintstrip the coaches before setting about them, IMHO it gives a lot better base to set off from when refining and refinishing?

Not saying you're doing anything wrong, just interested, after all it is each to their own!

Mike.

Hi Mike

No Idea why, I just get on and cut them about.

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Talking of paint jobs I went looking for my Mk1 suburban brake coach which is to painted grey to into my Freightliners consist and I thought that I might have a count up of what I have in the Mk1 box. Out of 38 coaches only three are fit to run as in they are painted and actually have bogies attached rather than in another box somewhere else.

120052078_DSCF09391.JPG.7c42f1bcdbf1796ea5ae747adeac7861.JPG

The eagle eyed may notice that there are the same amount of SK's as BG's, (two are SO's from bits of buffet car) this is because a BSK cut in half and the bits stuck back together one on a shortened underframe makes one of each.

Lets see if Clive is able to correctly identify all of the carriage diagrams that I have cut and shut.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

There is one BSO, three BSK, nine SK (or SO or TSO or RSO or RUO), seven BG, three Ck, three FK (a type I have not made), one RMB, 4 Sleepers (all BR diagrams had the same body shell), 3 TPOs which I know very little about, 3 Lima RB, and some modern thing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Hi Mike,

It make no difference to building them and they get sanded down before painting anyway, that said some were built at a time when I probably had no paint stripper which doesn't help.

Gibbo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

Hi Gibbo

There is one BSO, three BSK, nine SK (or SO or TSO or RSO or RUO), seven BG, three Ck, three FK (a type I have not made), one RMB, 4 Sleepers (all BR diagrams had the same body shell), 3 TPOs which I know very little about, 3 Lima RB, and some modern thing.

Hi Clive,

Nearly right, the RB's are from Mainline / Replica minor detail there, but only two FK for one is an FO. I shall give you a pass on that as having looked at the photograph I ought to have turned it toilet windows down, the reason for shewing the corridor side of the CK's The modern thing is a Metropolitan Cammell Pullman bar car that ran on WCML sleeping car trains.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

I'd frighten my self if I put all my coaches side by side, but they do break into two categories- complete, (which is most of them!) and then those only partly built!

I also have the excuse of running a layout in three different eras, although the modern era has only-well modern coaches, except for a set of Pullmans and a set of Mk1s for steam and heritage diesel specials.

Keep up the good work

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Nearly right, the RB's are from Mainline / Replica minor detail there, but only two FK for one is an FO. I shall give you a pass on that as having looked at the photograph I ought to have turned it toilet windows down, the reason for shewing the corridor side of the CK's The modern thing is a Metropolitan Cammell Pullman bar car that ran on WCML sleeping car trains.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

A FK and a FO have one side that is the same , and that is the side you cheated with. The other side of the FO dia 71 (or RFO dia 36) would have half lights without vents, opposite the toilets. Where a FK has a blank panels opposite the toilet and an access door on the corridor side.

I haven't made a dia 71 or 36 (Kitmaster and Bachmann have). I have done a FO dia 72. I haven't done a FO dia 73 (Hornby have).

Looking closely at the photo again I can see the bar car and the RB are not Lima. :banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

A FK and a FO have one side that is the same , and that is the side you cheated with. The other side of the FO dia 71 (or RFO dia 36) would have half lights without vents, opposite the toilets. Where a FK has a blank panels opposite the toilet and an access door on the corridor side.

I haven't made a dia 71 or 36 (Kitmaster and Bachmann have). I have done a FO dia 72. I haven't done a FO dia 73 (Hornby have).

Looking closely at the photo again I can see the bar car and the RB are not Lima. :banghead:

Hi Clive,

I'm super impressed that you went for diagram 71 over diagram 36, the model shall be numbered M3001 and mounted upon B4 bogies.

The FK's are both diagram 116, M13109 on BR1 bogies and M13307 on Commonwealth bogies.

As I have AC electrics I have had to choose my coaching stock carefully to be 100mph compatible so that what will run behind the electrics will have either B4 or Commonwealth bogies. Not that it really matters in 00 gauge but it gives me something to write into my stock spreadsheet so that I know what I'm doing with all these specially shaped bits of plastic.

Gibbo.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I had a good day waddling around the Doncaster show with Phil (Mallard60022) and Steve (31A) on Saturday. 

My train building dream team, well done lads.  

Today I am mostly driving down to Cornwall. I expect to be gone for some time.  I'm already 4 hours behind schedule because I cba to get out of bed. Tally Ho!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

My train building dream team, well done lads.  

Today I am mostly driving down to Cornwall. I expect to be gone for some time.  I'm already 4 hours behind schedule because I cba to get out of bed. Tally Ho!

Look Doc you have not met all three of us together.

I still cannot understand what Cornwall has done wrong for you to keep visiting.

• Funny 1

Hi Folks,

As we are talking cut and shut coaches should anyone want any bits for projects here is a selection of what is available from my left overs box. There is only so much clutter I can keep hold of and it is the kind of stuff that is too much trouble to put on Ebay so here it is.

Send me a PM for what ever you require:

DSCF0935.JPG.d6fc50a0f7b21bae8bb5add6efdcee66.JPG

These items are taken.

DSCF0937.JPG.c9e5f1ec56d89d5e9284c76c626cbd2c.JPG

These items are taken.

DSCF0938.JPG.c68003aa990e5ff1aad302798eab5f4f.JPG

These items are taken.

DSCF0941.JPG.0a0d4c7b36ffffb15116e64296fca064.JPG

These items are now taken.

DSCF0940.JPG

These items are now taken.

Here is a link to my "Free to a Good Home" thread:

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Items taken
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

Hi Gibbo

Hi Clive,

It seems I don't know my own coaches and also that I didn't read what you wrote properly. There are only two BSK's for the top brake end is a BFK, M14006 diagram 161, mounted on BR1 bogies built 1960, scrapped 1976.

Minus one for both of us there !

I'm now wondering whether the term "Train Spotter" is a compliment or an insult in this case.

It is a term that certainly applies to both of us and most of the rest of you out there reading this.

If the truth hurts !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

It seems I don't know my own coaches and also that I didn't read what you wrote properly. There are only two BSK's for the top brake end is a BFK, M14006 diagram 161, mounted on BR1 bogies built 1960, scrapped 1976.

Minus one for both of us there !

I'm now wondering whether the term "Train Spotter" is a compliment or an insult in this case.

It is a term that certainly applies to both of us and most of the rest of you out there reading this.

If the truth hurts !!!

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

How did I miss that, four big windows and only one set of double doors. :blind:

• Funny 2