Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Is it like the Bermuda one?  Stuff goes in and never comes out?

I can't say yes or no, all I can tell you I seemed to have survived going through it many a time. On the other hand like the young ladies who I knew in Colchester it could have just rejected me.

• Friendly/supportive 8

Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

I can't say yes or no, all I can tell you I seemed to have survived going through it many a time. On the other hand like the young ladies who I knew in Colchester it could have just rejected me.

Hi Clive,

Surely that would be the furry triangle ?!?!

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Who is old enough to remember the discos in the 70s?

All the girls on the dance floor and all the blokes on the outside with a beer in one hand while eyeing their target. Then the DJ would say "W e  g o i n g   t o   s l o w   t h i n g s   d o w n "....holy s**t if you were in between the dance floor and the ladies as a heard of women rushed to get in the bogs before the ugly geezer asked them to dance.  And at the same time scores of young men would be seen whizzing around trying to find somewhere to put their beer so no one else would drink it. Once the loo was full those who could not escape would have a queue of fellas, hoping their beer would not be nicked, asking them to dance. Even those birds who had had a few too many chip suppers or wouldn't appear on the front of Vogue. They would reluctantly say yes to some lucky guy.  

Thank goodness for punk where there was wasn't silly ballads.

I still feel this a great song.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I still feel this a great song.

Always loved Breaking Glass, got to meet Hazel a couple of years back, and Phil Daniels when he appeared in Vinyl.

Andi

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The eldest has just popped her head through the toy room door.....and took the micky out of all my unpainted coaches. Damned cheek. 

I changed my "friendly/supportive" to "informative/useful" just to give you a full house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Who is old enough to remember the discos in the 70s?

All the girls on the dance floor and all the blokes on the outside with a beer in one hand while eyeing their target. Then the DJ would say "W e  g o i n g   t o   s l o w   t h i n g s   d o w n "....holy s**t if you were in between the dance floor and the ladies as a heard of women rushed to get in the bogs before the ugly geezer asked them to dance.  And at the same time scores of young men would be seen whizzing around trying to find somewhere to put their beer so no one else would drink it. Once the loo was full those who could not escape would have a queue of fellas, hoping their beer would not be nicked, asking them to dance. Even those birds who had had a few too many chip suppers or wouldn't appear on the front of Vogue. They would reluctantly say yes to some lucky guy. 

I know - coz I was there...

You forgot to mention that all the girls were dancing round a big pile of handbags.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The eldest has just popped her head through the toy room door.....and took the micky out of all my unpainted coaches. Damned cheek. 

Don’t make a fuss if not prepared to help. In the comment I heard a cry of “ I will help you dad to get the coaches finished” how kind. If only the youth could express themselves more clearly it would make life that much simpler. 
richard. 

Edited by richard i
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A good many years ago when we took Deepcar to Colchester show we wandered around the town in the evening looking for a drink.

On entering one pub there were lots of young 'ladies'. Approaching the bar we got a few funny looks and when one of our team asked if they had any type of ale rather than just the lager in display, it soon became obvious that it wasn't the place for a group of various aged railway modellers:help:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, richard i said:

Don’t make a fuss if not prepared to help. In the comment I heard a cry of “ I will help you dad to get the coaches finished” how kind. If only the youth could express themselves more clearly it would make life that much simpler. 
richard. 

Youth??????

It must about 20 years since you started at Chelmer and first encountered a member of my family. 

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2020 at 15:40, Clive Mortimore said:

Currently spraying 3 or 4 a week now it is warmer.

Last batch 2x 2D TSO 1x 2F FO half a 2D TSO

Next batch 1.5x 2D TSO 1x 2C BSO 1x 116 DMBS 1x 116 DMS

• Like 5

8 hours ago, great central said:

A good many years ago when we took Deepcar to Colchester show we wandered around the town in the evening looking for a drink.

On entering one pub there were lots of young 'ladies'. Approaching the bar we got a few funny looks and when one of our team asked if they had any type of ale rather than just the lager in display, it soon became obvious that it wasn't the place for a group of various aged railway modellers:help:

The town has an interesting mix with locals, students and military. Pubs seem to cater to one of those crowds so mixed groups can confuse the regulars.  There are places that do cater for those who do not fit straight into those groups, but you need to hunt them out. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2020 at 18:47, richard i said:

The town has an interesting mix with locals, students and military. Pubs seem to cater to one of those crowds so mixed groups can confuse the regulars.  There are places that do cater for those who do not fit straight into those groups, but you need to hunt them out. 

When I was posted to Colchester I made friends with the local punks who used pubs that the squadies didn't. Some pubs they used would not serve soldiers. Of course back in the 70s if you were young and had short hair you were a in the army. Luckily I had the right type of accent to pass off an old school mate who was on leave from the Air Force if I was asked if I was a squadie.

As for drinking with students, I liked the SU bar at Essex Uni. I use to help the Ents Committee with setting up gigs and the clearing the stage after the gigs. Sometimes we I would get into the after gig party, I remember having a good laugh with this young lady at one such party.

The original video I posted has been removed so i have added another of the same song

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have been doing some modelling, results to be shown soon, I hope.

I have also been running the layout. Tonight saw the last movement of the all steam session, as it began the last two trains were hauled by Black Fives. The next operating session will see some hauled trains replaced by DMUs as they enter the fuddle yards. At the same time some steam locos will be usurped by various diesels. 

New Band Maid video, not a new song but one where they are asking me to choose them...............wishful thinking.

• Like 5

Hi Clive,

Have you run any failed DMU's being rescued by steam locomotives ? If so I think a grubby LMS or Standard class 4 2-6-0 running tender first would add greatly to the ignominy of the situation.

I have been a good boy today and done a second coat of BR Blue on my latest DMU extravaganza. Unfortunately there was an overlooked greasy finger print on the side of one of the class 101 body shells, extra job for tomorrow.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have also been running the layout. Tonight saw the last movement of the all steam session, as it began the last two trains were hauled by Black Fives. The next operating session will see some hauled trains replaced by DMUs as they enter the fuddle yards. At the same time some steam locos will be usurped by various diesels. 

New Band Maid video, not a new song but one where they are asking me to choose them...............wishful thinking.

Wot, all four of 'em?

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Stream replaced by diesel, fine, but you need a preserved special or two run. A chance for an A4 or K4 to turn up in lner livery. Spotters leaning out of carriage windows. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

Stream replaced by diesel, fine, but you need a preserved special or two run. A chance for an A4 or K4 to turn up in lner livery. Spotters leaning out of carriage windows. 

Some steam will be replaced....not all, yet.

It was only recently that I did an all diesel, mainly DMU session. A lot easier than all this loco changing I have been doing.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1