Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The fifth one was mine...

No all five,

One for cooking, one for cleaning, one for sewing and knitting, one for doing the washing and one for looking after the garden.

or maybe I will just sit back and enjoy their music.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No all five,

One for cooking, one for cleaning, one for sewing and knitting, one for doing the washing and one for looking after the garden.

or maybe I will just sit back and enjoy their music.

A lady friend of mine used to say that a woman needed a man who:

- was handy fixing things around the house;

- could cook;

- could make you laugh; and

- was good in bed.

She added that the most important thing was that these four men should never meet.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

I wondered if I could pick your brain regarding DMU conversions. I'm currently converting a Lima Class 117 in to a Derby Class 114 using etched sides from Worsley Works, but I can't work out the best/easiest way to fabricate the headcode box.

When you did yours, did you do it as a hollow box or as solid styrene lump, and then how did you get the destination blind fixed,

Cheers

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Andy 53B said:

Hi Clive,

I wondered if I could pick your brain regarding DMU conversions. I'm currently converting a Lima Class 117 in to a Derby Class 114 using etched sides from Worsley Works, but I can't work out the best/easiest way to fabricate the headcode box.

When you did yours, did you do it as a hollow box or as solid styrene lump, and then how did you get the destination blind fixed,

Cheers

Andy

Blimey Andy, a really sensible question about railway modelling.

Are you sure you've posted it on the right topic? :scratchhead:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

My parents house had previously been occupied by these guys (the recording studio is now a flat and a study).

They left behind, amongst other things, a BBC computer and an Airfix model of a Lysander.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy 53B said:

I really do apologise for this, is this more appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPPVtWapgE

Yes. Subs gigs were always an event.

Carlie Harper always seemed a lot older than the rest of us punks. We are now far older than he was at the time. His 70s perm was always a sign he was a hairdresser.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy 53B said:

Hi Clive,

Cheers

Andy

I will dig it out later to remind myself what I done. I will also look what I done on the 125 as that was Lima based.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone on here has been keeping up with my Lower Thames Yard thread, so I thought you might like to hear what I am doing to counter delay in my main layout build due to the dreaded virus!

I have managed to sketch out a plan for "Lower Thames Goods Shed", which is attached.

The idea of this small 5ft6in x 3ft 00 DCC layout is to allow me to run a few trains testing some of the High Wycombe Branch elements of the timetable for my 00 Lower Thames Yard 12ft x8ft layout set in 1960/2, the building of which is delayed by the dreaded virus which prevents the people due to do the baseboards, track and electrics for this from working, and of course later will prevent the installation of their efforts in our self isolated home.

Things to bear in mind:-

I want to have this up and running with materials (such as the baseboard). that I have to hand in as quick a time as I am able, bearing in mind other calls on my time for home and family etc.

The trains will only be short - engine + 2 coach or 6/7 trucks, or 2/3 car DMU long. There will not be any signals and only the fiddle yard points will be electric with surface mounted point motors.

The layout will not be ballasted, or have the "ground" covered or dealt with, only in so far as I need to "test" alternatives for the main layout.

Similarly only the buildings will be more than skeletons where they can be used in the main layout. So only the houses (see A and B on sketch), the goods shed and the train shed overall roof (F on sketch)  will be fully built. 

I am currently looking at ways to extend the baseboard to 6ft x 4ft allowing increased track radius but the track plan will stay the same. 

Hope you are all safe and well and making good progress with your modelling?

Cheers

Paul

Maidenhead.-Lower Thames Goods Shed 1.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone on here has been keeping up with my Lower Thames Yard thread, so I thought you might like to hear what I am doing to counter delay in my main layout build due to the dreaded virus!

I have managed to sketch out a plan for "Lower Thames Goods Shed", which is attached.

The idea of this small 5ft6in x 3ft 00 DCC layout is to allow me to run a few trains testing some of the High Wycombe Branch elements of the timetable for my 00 Lower Thames Yard 12ft x8ft layout set in 1960/2, the building of which is delayed by the dreaded virus which prevents the people due to do the baseboards, track and electrics for this from working, and of course later will prevent the installation of their efforts in our self isolated home.

Things to bear in mind:-

I want to have this up and running with materials (such as the baseboard). that I have to hand in as quick a time as I am able, bearing in mind other calls on my time for home and family etc.

The trains will only be short - engine + 2 coach or 6/7 trucks, or 2/3 car DMU long. There will not be any signals and only the fiddle yard points will be electric with surface mounted point motors.

The layout will not be ballasted, or have the "ground" covered or dealt with, only in so far as I need to "test" alternatives for the main layout.

Similarly only the buildings will be more than skeletons where they can be used in the main layout. So only the houses (see A and B on sketch), the goods shed and the train shed overall roof (F on sketch)  will be fully built. 

I am currently looking at ways to extend the baseboard to 6ft x 4ft allowing increased track radius but the track plan will stay the same. 

Hope you are all safe and well and making good progress with your modelling?

Cheers

Paul

Maidenhead.-Lower Thames Goods Shed 1.jpg

Have fun building it Paul, after all that is what the hobby is about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Andy 53B said:

Hi Clive,

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

Here are the fronts of my 114 and 125, still awaiting me to be Ar$ed to finish them. The 117 box was filed off and the hole plugged with a lump of 40 thou plastic card. some filler was slapped on and when hard out came the file again. The destination box is made up of laminates of 20 thou card. On the 125 the gaps still need their filler. I still need to tidy up the upper light on the 114. These were removed after refurbishment and the two lights under the outer cab windows installed.

001.jpg.dbcd2b93ce20f230ceb2738157c89b56.jpg

002.jpg.b23fa5128ef07788bf652974c6c40b22.jpg

003.jpg.894f8cbb3fa5da764398473981dabd10.jpg

I am not a modeller who has lights on his trains, 1960s destination blinds and headcodes were so badly illuminated that the light didn't show through (if switched on, in daylight so transfers will do me for destination and the headcodes.

Tonight's song comes form one of the best punk bands, one of the first all female bands, and a punk band that was not American or British......take it away ladies

• Like 6

If an ageing Punk from the East Coast can alter the fronts of some tin cans and get them CORRECT for a DMU, then why in heavens name can't the big Boys with huge budgets and facilities all over the World to call upon?:no:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

If an ageing Punk from the East Coast can alter the fronts of some tin cans and get them CORRECT for a DMU, then why in heavens name can't the big Boys with huge budgets and facilities all over the World to call upon?:no:

Hi Andy,

Without blowing smoke up any ones jacksie I would suggest that passion has a lot to do with it.

I don't play toy trains unless I'm in the mood for it otherwise I lose interest and the job doesn't work out properly, its all about passion for me certainly.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Coz they ain't punks.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am not a modeller who has lights on his trains, 1960s destination blinds and headcodes were so badly illuminated that the light didn't show through (if switched on, in daylight so transfers will do me for destination and the headcodes.

Like your disinterest in DCC, Clive, I completely agree about lights on model trains.  Unless they are the modern high-intensity headlights, you should not really be able to see them in daylight.  There is a reason why yellow warning panels were introduced on diesels (and eventually the modern lights), because the lights on 1st generation diesels provided barely more than the glow of a cigarette lighter.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ran some trains, photographed some coach sides, see John's thread

Hi Clive,

I saw those cut and shuts on John's thread earlier, all very interesting stuff form both you and John. However, what raised my curiosity is that all the parts are the same colour, my question is therefore:

When they are finished and are seen in a photograph of your railway how will we all know whether or not they are ready to run or home made unless they are liveried to look like the contents of a tube of Smarties ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 10

9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I saw those cut and shuts on John's thread earlier, all very interesting stuff form both you and John. However, what raised my curiosity is that all the parts are the same colour, my question is therefore:

When they are finished and are seen in a photograph of your railway how will we all know whether or not they are ready to run or home made unless they are liveried to look like the contents of a tube of Smarties ?

Gibbo.

On most you will be able to tell as the base colour affects the top colour. For these it will be hard but if you are an expert then if  you hold them up by a window to the natural light at the correct angle, you will know. 
richard

• Like 3

10 hours ago, richard i said:

On most you will be able to tell as the base colour affects the top colour. For these it will be hard but if you are an expert then if  you hold them up by a window to the natural light at the correct angle, you will know. 
richard

Hi Rich,

Tell that Clive to use a decent undercoat, that way the top coat finish will be just dandy.

As you may note the below featured DMU's all seem to come from some of those limited edition Smarties tubes that only had only blue Smarties, except for the yellow ends of course.

2109753209_DSCF10071.JPG.9a7dc3c1bd93e920f392a9018c73170f.JPG

Left to right, Derby light weight, 100, 108, 101, 105 (X3) all DC Kits except for the class 100.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Now, now Young man,:o (YES, I am talking to YOU Clive):D I've just found you down on page 5,:nono: so I thought you needed bring up to the surface, ( as you now look like a Sub Mariner, or a Monk, depending on the camera angle).

I also thought, (something I don't do very often I hasten to add), that you should re post your Pig Lane Video  here for the pleasure and amusement of your flock, who may not have seen it on Sunday. Bobbie did a brilliant job with the camera, and even the RAF or Luftwaffe couldn't stop you in full flow, but you never finished the story of the undergrowth, so some explanation and a new Avatar might be in order I feel.:good:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Now, now Young man,:o (YES, I am talking to YOU Clive):D I've just found you down on page 5,:nono: so I thought you needed bring up to the surface, ( as you now look like a Sub Mariner, or a Monk, depending on the camera angle).

I also thought, (something I don't do very often I hasten to add), that you should re post your Pig Lane Video  here for the pleasure and amusement of your flock, who may not have seen it on Sunday. Bobbie did a brilliant job with the camera, and even the RAF or Luftwaffe couldn't stop you in full flow, but you never finished the story of the undergrowth, so some explanation and a new Avatar might be in order I feel.:good:

Hi Andy,

Is this what he looks like these days ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player's_Navy_Cut#/media/File:Players_navy_cut_logo.png

What I can't make out without my specs is whether it says Hero or Nerd on his sailors cap.

Just for reference I both look like and feel like this:

gaCVA2Ul_400x400.jpg.d7660947552054ef185cca334651a664.jpg

The looks won't change but I have almost Shukhov the feeling though !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

As requested by Andy

As for Uncle Albert, on Only Fools and Horses as soon as he says "During the war", everyone disappears and we never hear what happened.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 18