Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I was (am) a carrot cruncher, except when I am in Arizona where I am inexplicably Australian.

When I had relatives in the Boston area I was considered an Australian, even with my Yorkshire accent.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
bliddy presumptive tecks.
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

When I had relatives in the Boston area I was considered an Australian, even with my Yorkshire action.

Mike.

You can't beat a bit of 'Yorkshire action'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As a Londoner living in Edinburgh I was often mistaken for an Aussie - which is funny given where I live now.

As a New Zealander living in London I was often mistaken for an Aussie! It got better when I visited Dublin, they thought I was Canadian! :D

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SJR said:

As a New Zealander living in London I was often mistaken for an Aussie! It got better when I visited Dublin, they thought I was Canadian! :D

When I was nursing we had a patient who came from New Zealand. One morning an Australian agency nurse was  working with us and she heard the lady from NZ talking and went over to her "Great someone else from Oz" ........"I am no Botany Bay Con"....whoops.

When the army sent me to Belize my mate Jim (a real eastender) and I were drinking in the bar where there was a lot of Americans on holiday. To start with they thought we were "First fleeters. Jim being a bit mischievous started to talk to me in rhyming slang which really confused them. We spent the rest of the night teaching them rhyming slag slang and getting drunk on the beers they kept buying us.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
Edit cos UDJ took the micky :-(
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8

23 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Doc

Don't listen to that Jazzer bloke he has a GER/LNER bias :tomato:What you need are some of those nice class 4 2-6-4 tanks that Sir Henry, Sir William, Mr Fairburn and Mr Riddles designed, Sir William also made them with 3 cylinders. :locomotive:And for the shorter journeys Sir Henry and Sir William's class 3 2-6-2T, empty stock trains could have a nice class 3 Jocko 0-6-0T and possibly one of Mr Ivatt (jnr)'s class 2 2-6-2T. And maybe one of Mr Whielegg's 4-4-2Ts, remember the real Minories is just round the corner to Fenchurch St.

I will give Jazzer a :good: for his suggestions of locos, but watch out for them Northerners suggesting A6s, A8s V1s and V3s. Also stay alert for the GCR A5 being suggested. :scared: Having said that they are much more preferable to the locos used in Bandit Country, just their name proves how wild it is, Prairies...........makes me shudder. 

You could of course be civilised and bung down some 3rd rail and have lovely EMUs like what took Scousers and Woolybacks to and from work. Or even the bestest ever looking 3rd rail trains, the North Tyneside Articulated Electrics. 

Anyone I haven't insulted ........oh yes the dear old SR but they had boring EMUs.

A lovely version of this song

Just ignore him Doc. All that rattling round on DMU boneshakers and getting high on diesel fumes have scrambled his brain I think.:( I in fact, if you ask me he is a closet GWR fan that way he goes on about Staniers 3-cylinder 2-6-4 tanks , when w eall km=now that Stanier was a disciple from Gods Wonderful Railway pulled in to sort out the Late Mundane and Slow. In fact Stuart Cox who basically designed the standards said the boilers were of the "purest lineage" from Churchward to Stanier to the standards. Mind you the Stanier 3-cylinder jobs were no slouches, regularly hitting 80 mph with 11 on, through West Horndon on the racing stretch from Pitsea to Upminster.  Nevertheless , I digress . The rantings of the Lincolnshire cutter and shutter have distracted me. 

Since the not insignificantly significant matter of the location of the actual Minories area has been raised it has reminded me of something else id significance to your layout. The Original real life Minories station was the terminus of the London and Blackwall Railway , and was sited where Tower Gateway, the terminus of the Docklands light Railway now stands.  The L&B basically served the London docks , but the L&B only leased it from the Eastern Counties ( which, of course became the Great Eastern). Because of this relationship a link was built from Stepney to Bow on the great Eastern, so there you have it.  It is only a small jump , a mere modicum of modellers licence, for you to have B12' and B1's into your Minories  on the basis that are Southend line trains over the GE route except that after Stratford they turn of at Bow Junction to Stepney then into Minories to easy congestion at Liverpool St. Or you could take the L1-hauled Hertford East to Stratford trains and extend them to Minories by the same route . The possibilities are endless :rolleyes: 

Done my best for you. Now heres a Fireman from Plaistow shed on the LTSR who became a rather successful singer , married one of the Vernons Girls and became father to Sam Brown.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yotube+joe+brown+locomotive+fireman&docid=608000878768227440&mid=5F2A46DB9156964E005A5F2A46DB9156964E005A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

When I had relatives in the Boston area I was considered an Australian, even with my Yorkshire accent.

Mike.

Sorry for the late reply but how do those living in Lincolnshire not realise that you come form the wrong side of the Humber not the wrong side of the world?

Whoops of course they would be confused as their world only extends from the Humber to the Wash.

• Funny 6

I always get asked where I am from as people can not place the accent. The answer, “ no where and everywhere” throws a fair few but is really the truth. Only 2 years of my childhood were spent in the uk, but my passport says I am British. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sorry for the late reply but how do those living in Lincolnshire not realise that you come form the wrong side of the Humber not the wrong side of the world?

Whoops of course they would be confused as their world only extends from the Humber to the Wash.

Nay mi ducks, we go to Nottingham every year to do the Christmas shopping!

John.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

This is a new one to me; caused me to search for the original.  Enjoyed both; thanks.

I note the singer has been to the Ian Curtis school of dance (so sad to think he was lost to the world 40 years ago this month).

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

This is a new one to me; caused me to search for the original.  Enjoyed both; thanks.

I note the singer has been to the Ian Curtis school of dance (so sad to think he was lost to the world 40 years ago this month).

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

First time I heard the original by Suicide was just after the LP was released. I walked into Parrot Records in Colchester and my mate Nigel who worked there handed me some earphones and said listen to this. OK it was a tad off beat to what I was normally buying at the time but was open to new alternative music.......then that first scream....WOW. By the look on my face Nigel knew where in song I had reached. I rate Frankie Teardrop as one of the best ever electro-punk songs ever.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Still no trains

This is a fantastic cover of a classic song.

You're not restarting this show are you Clive, if you are that's an excellent song to do it with, it should last the whole series!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_That_Tune_(British_game_show)

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You're not restarting this show are you Clive, if you are that's an excellent song to do it with, it should last the whole series!

Mike.

Look here Mike, good songs that have great influence on other musicians don't always have to be chart toppers. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

good songs that have great influence on other musicians don't always have to be chart toppers

There are some very successful musicians, enjoying a comfortable lifestyle, without ever seeing the need to bother the charts ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Hi Mike

Here is a song I have always liked, sometimes when I mention this group people look at at me if I am making their name up, but Fairytale in the Supermarket was rated 83rd in Billboards recent  The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Not all great songs are hits.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

Here is a song I have always liked, sometimes when I mention this group people look at at me if I am making their name up, but Fairytale in the Supermarket was rated 83rd in Billboards recent  The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Not all great songs are hits.

I don't believe I ever mentioned hits.

You got me all wrong guv!

I can out-weird most of you, it's just that I've been at it longer!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1