Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I’ve just moved from there: it was always important to know the two results of the weekend and who to wind up (or not) about it.

A late colleague and friend used to have fun on an old firm weekend and bet £5 with a known Rangers fan and another £5 with a known Celtic fan.  Don’t know if they twigged, but it was an amusing insight.

Some years ago my wife was at the dentist and needed a toothbrush for one of the children: “not green” she said (so that it wouldn’t get confused with others in the bathroom). Blue OK? was the response.

And finally, overheard on Sauchiehall St: a woman out with two boys one wearing a Rangers outfit and the other Celtic. “Hen, you’ve got problems!”

Paul.

Same in the East. When it came to rostering, all I did was say how many of each grade I needed on each shift. I left the detail to the supervisors who knew:

- who were the Hearts and Hibs fans

- who, more generally, followed the orange or the green

- who was sleeping with whose wife (or daughter...)

- who was NUR and who was AUEW

- whose father (or even grandfather) went on strike in 1955 or not

As an Englishman that made life much easier.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I had a car which when you changed the radio station using a control on the steering column the front passenger window opened.

I had a car where the front passenger window wasn't there.

• Funny 4

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I had a car where the front passenger window wasn't there.

My first car, if you wanted the radio on you had to turn the lights on, electrically they were some how connected.

my parents first car had cardboard in the rear footwell so if they braked hard, our carry cots would not fall off the back seat into the hole. 
modern cars are so predictable/ boring. 
richard

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Same in the East. When it came to rostering, all I did was say how many of each grade I needed on each shift. I left the detail to the supervisors who knew:

- who were the Hearts and Hibs fans

- who, more generally, followed the orange or the green

- who was sleeping with whose wife (or daughter...)

- who was NUR and who was AUEW

- whose father (or even grandfather) went on strike in 1955 or not

As an Englishman that made life much easier.

When I worked for the National Blood Service the sisters and charge nurse (me) would take it in turns to be duty nurse and work from our office. Part of our job was to ensure all the teams went to the various locations fully staffed, or staffed as best we could. If a team had a few off sick we would have to swap staff from one team to another. We had a guide of who we couldn't have work together for various reasons including two sisters. They were both nice ladies, in their late forties and were good workers but owing to a boyfriend who fancied both of them when they were younger the atmosphere on session was horrendous and upsetting for all the others. So I can see why you chickened out with the rostering. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I like Friday I'm In Love, it is a very good pop song.

The Cure (Robert Smith, mostly, who is a very talented musician) wrote quite a lot of very good songs.  People who don't like The Cure just remember them at their most depressing era, when some of their material is an absolute dirge.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Rostering and staff allocation always seemed to be fraught with problems wherever I managed staff. In my early days of management my boss allocated staff across several teams. One day he called some team leaders in to do a bit of rebalancing due to reorganisations and changes in workload. The conversation went something like:-

Boss - "I'm going to put X  temporarily into the assistant's job on Team 1. "

Team Leader 2  -  "Don't think that's wise as it would mean him sitting in the same bay as Mrs X and they are heading for a messy divorce"

Boss  - "What if I move  Y  to Team 1 and put  X  in Team 2 ?"

Team leader 2  -  "That would be even worse. Mrs X moved in with me last weekend"

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Rostering and staff allocation always seemed to be fraught with problems wherever I managed staff. In my early days of management my boss allocated staff across several teams. One day he called some team leaders in to do a bit of rebalancing due to reorganisations and changes in workload. The conversation went something like:-

Boss - "I'm going to put X  temporarily into the assistant's job on Team 1. "

Team Leader 2  -  "Don't think that's wise as it would mean him sitting in the same bay as Mrs X and they are heading for a messy divorce"

Boss  - "What if I move  Y  to Team 1 and put  X  in Team 2 ?"

Team leader 2  -  "That would be even worse. Mrs X moved in with me last weekend"

Have had similar too in my management days. Wasn’t in my team, but it was in our Dept, we had both an ex-pat Iraqi and an Iranian in the same team, got a bit fraught when their home nations went to war! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Folks,

I've just had a great time having a good old laugh at this fella talking about non linear warfare, a term you may wish to familiarise yourselfs with. He even does a bit of singing of sorts which is in some ways what the thread is about.....ish.

It takes all sorts, me included !

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

just found this, pure class

Question, did the mk1 emu have a handwheel brake in the cab, if so, where was it?

The handbrake wheel is mounted in the front corner of the cab on the secondman's side. That is the left side looking at the picture above

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've just had a great time having a good old laugh at this fella talking about non linear warfare, a term you may wish to familiarise yourselfs with. He even does a bit of singing of sorts which is in some ways what the thread is about.....ish.

It takes all sorts, me included !

Gibbo.

It's County Sligo's very own David Icke.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

just found this, pure class

Question, did the mk1 emu have a handwheel brake in the cab, if so, where was it?

Very enjoyable. Which DCC sound chip programmer could reproduce all the various noises emitting from a Mk1 EMU, especially the commuter waking thump over the rail joints at slow speed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Have not been checking in for a while and have just read the last few pages to catch up.   This thread never ceases to amaze and amuse.

It certainly has expanded its horizons with the Beethoven!  And yes I laughed at the joke.

God only know what some academic will make of this in a hundred years from now! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Have not been checking in for a while and have just read the last few pages to catch up.   This thread never ceases to amaze and amuse.

It certainly has expanded its horizons with the Beethoven!  And yes I laughed at the joke.

God only know what some academic will make of this in a hundred years from now! 

Nutter pure nutters.

Well we can hope so.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

DSCF0919.JPG.21228ae9da3e8e72e4f727a5539a929d.JPG

Clive, this is using DC kits cabs. Do you think the front windows are OK for the 304, or do the tops need to be more level.

BR Class 304 304005 - Altrincham

From Flickr, photo by David Burrell

Hi Cheesy

Compare it with the front of the unit to the rear of this picture, as it is almost head on. The DC kits looks slightly more angled but would the amount of work to correct them notice when the unit is moving and being viewed at normal view distance?

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1