Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I suppose now Stu spends days moving them from one type of system to another for no one to read because their computer is on the wrong system.

We like to think we are providing a better solution for our new customer's, as we replace ancient and isolated applications with our constantly improved and nationally accessible one.

The data migration process often highlights inadequacies and clinically unsafe information, which we report to the customer as part of their upgrade process.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

We like to think we are providing a better solution for our new customer's, as we replace ancient and isolated applications with our constantly improved and nationally accessible one.

The data migration process often highlights inadequacies and clinically unsafe information, which we report to the customer as part of their upgrade process.

I think I get it, but the big question is does anyone water the spider plant sat on to of the server full of data no one reads?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think I get it, but the big question is does anyone water the spider plant sat on to of the server full of data no one reads?

You water the spider plant via the web, obviously.

• Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

There is always some kind soul who brings in that unwanted house plant gift to brighten up the office. No blighter waters it unless its imminent demise is mentioned in the monthly office meeting where the task is given to the junior member of staff.  :rtfm: To the amusement of my work colleagues I was happily watering both the real plants and the plastic ones, I didn't 'alf make a mess. :dontknow:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Our office was a typical nationalised industry one, straggly pot plants until the bigwigs from Lundun were relocated to the block in 1985 when we got outsourced ones which came with a maintenance contract. The old office had Battleship Grey filing cabinets and dark varnished pine desks, although the hardwood draughtsmans tables made at Wolverton works were a fine bit of work. When we all had new furniture on becoming part of the regional HQ I bought mine for a fiver and made a garage workbench out of it. The steel filing cabinet became my tool cupboard.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Returning to tales of office vegetation, I had been asked to do a highly political job related to diversions for ECML electrification. A timetable had been published which did not fit the available infrastructure and I had just 20 weeks to get a solution designed, installed and commissioned where the gut feeling in the office was that a year would be difficult. My section said they would take the challenge so I negotiated with the boss that I would have first call on the office overtime budget and using other sections at weekends to assist my staff. I was also offered someone to fill a vacant post on my section. I went back to the staff who were happy with all except one point. I told them "the options for filling the vacant desk are  N_____ or a cheeseplant." They unanimously voted for an extra cheeseplant.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I used to enjoy keeping a few of the office bushes trimmed.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Have you ever asked the dear lady, 60536 ?

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Do we pull this statue down, after all he was a thief (stole from the rich), a marxist (gave to the poor), an anarchist (an out law) and was Islamophobic (he fought in the crusades)?  No cos he is part of our heritage a member of the landed gentry, he was a lord after all, the Earl of Huntingdon. 

To add to the list of reasons for pulling down Robin Hood's statute, he must be responsible and accountable for that god awful song "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" by Bryan Adams.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Our office was a typical nationalised industry one, straggly pot plants until the bigwigs from Lundun were relocated to the block in 1985 when we got outsourced ones which came with a maintenance contract. The old office had Battleship Grey filing cabinets and dark varnished pine desks, although the hardwood draughtsmans tables made at Wolverton works were a fine bit of work. When we all had new furniture on becoming part of the regional HQ I bought mine for a fiver and made a garage workbench out of it. The steel filing cabinet became my tool cupboard.

Amazing what you could get for a fiver under the scheme. At various times I bought, among other things, a long-carriage typewriter; a platform lamp fitting labelled "Leeds City"; and a few old sleepers (a fiver each, not for the lot) for landscaping the garden.

• Like 3

Hi Folks,

We, me and the neighbours, have been having a Wednesday night party with a BBQ, Champagne and the like, we also had the 90's music CD out. So here is Todd Terry with Jocelyn Brown, Something Going On, followed by Deee-Lite, Groove is in the Heart.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I am still here (no booing in the cheap seats), I have been running trans but still no up and go when it comes to modelling. 

I have just ran two specials, well one is the perishables, the fitted van train and the other an Allerton based class 115  on a Temperance Society special from Liverpool and Manchester. Apparently the NER could not make available a train from York or Leeds so these members have had to attend the northern annul meeting by coaches.  The reason given by BR was for the low number of passengers a whole train was not financially worth it but they could reserve some seats on a normal train. This didn't go down well as they all enjoy the communal singing on the way home and didn't want the general public thinking they had been to a booze up. 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am still here (no booing in the cheap seats), I have been running trans but still no up and go when it comes to modelling. 

I have just ran two specials, well one is the perishables, the fitted van train and the other an Allerton based class 115  on a Temperance Society special from Liverpool and Manchester. Apparently the NER could not make available a train from York or Leeds so these members have had to attend the northern annul meeting by coaches.  The reason given by BR was for the low number of passengers a whole train was not financially worth it but they could reserve some seats on a normal train. This didn't go down well as they all enjoy the communal singing on the way home and didn't want the general public thinking they had been to a booze up. 

Hi Clive,

There is yet a Temperance Bar in Rawtenstall called Fitzpatrick's, you cold have run a Cravens 112 from there back in the day.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

There is yet a Temperance Bar in Rawtenstall called Fitzpatrick's, you cold have run a Cravens 112 from there back in the day.

Gibbo.

I don't have a 112, Bachmann done the wrong brake van end. I do have a MTK 2 car with the right style of bake van so may be.

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I don't have a 112, Bachmann done the wrong brake van end. I do have a MTK 2 car with the right style of bake van so may be.

Hi Mike,

I had a DC Kits one but flogged it off a while back. I should have put it out to the Bug crate Massive on here, sorry chaps !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

clive, EMU question. The 302 front end, how different id it from the 307? Is it just the size of the windows or is it the angle and size of the front panels as well?

Hi Chessy

The 302 does have a slightly different angled front end which allows them to have the wider windows.

DTS.png.e78e395fcb13a652c5a0323e071992c8.png

The 307 has a Eastliegh BR EPB cab.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Clive, Now that I'm back, any new pics of Trains running at Toffs Towers mate?

No, the mojo appears to have packed up totally. Waiting for it to come back.

I walk into the trains set room and see all the mess and stuff that needs doing and walk out again. Mrs M will not be happy with me sharing photos of piles of rubbish.

• Friendly/supportive 5

21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No, the mojo appears to have packed up totally. Waiting for it to come back.

I walk into the trains set room and see all the mess and stuff that needs doing and walk out again. Mrs M will not be happy with me sharing photos of piles of rubbish.

Hi Clive,

Its far too sunny for messing on with toy trains indoors, I've been playing out in the sunshine. There will plenty to get on with once it starts raining later in the year, the Vic Berry-esque pile of DMU's is still on the bench.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Its far too sunny for messing on with toy trains indoors, I've been playing out in the sunshine. There will plenty to get on with once it starts raining later in the year, the Vic Berry-esque pile of DMU's is still on the bench.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Well that is the other problem, with the good weather all sorts of things grow on the ranch many which Mrs M says the 'orses don't like so as much as my mojo has packed in I still have to do my duties which has a big negative effect on me doing anything with the toy trains.

• Friendly/supportive 5