Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

Clive, where on earth do you find all these different bands and styles?  Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

You tube, and Spotify mainly. It quite surprising when you search for The Internationale, click on the Russian or Spanish versions where that leads to.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 20/06/2020 at 21:08, Clive Mortimore said:

I am still here (no booing in the cheap seats), I have been running trans but still no up and go when it comes to modelling. 

I have just ran two specials, well one is the perishables, the fitted van train and the other an Allerton based class 115  on a Temperance Society special from Liverpool and Manchester. Apparently the NER could not make available a train from York or Leeds so these members have had to attend the northern annul meeting by coaches.  The reason given by BR was for the low number of passengers a whole train was not financially worth it but they could reserve some seats on a normal train. This didn't go down well as they all enjoy the communal singing on the way home and didn't want the general public thinking they had been to a booze up. 

A pity the Temperance Society  trip was cancelled. You could have played these gentlemen while running the train to set the mood. They were quite the fad in the Green DMU era according to Great Uncle Algernon. frequently to be seen trundling through Market Rasen at a nice steady military medium pace ( nothing too reckless) on a Bank Holiday evening enjoying soporific effects of the exhaust  of a Midland 4F lingering in the corridor after someone had left the toilet window open after effusive release of his chip shop lunch at Cleethorpes.

Proper music in them days. None of these silly school gels who should be in their domestic science classes learning to look after their future 'usbands.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Nuff said.

Hi Clive,

You do like girls with guitars, is it some sort of plank fantasy ?

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Incorrect spelling of plank !
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

You do like girls with guitars, is it some sort of plank fantasy ?

Gibbo.

Not that I am aware of.

I have always liked female punk and rock bands. Serious head on, I feel they are often over looked by record companies who don't develop their  talents and definitely do not fund them as well as some less talented male bands. Especially if they will not flash their boobs, wiggle their arses or sleep with their "management".

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not that I am aware of.

I have always liked female punk and rock bands. Serious head on, I feel they are often over looked by record companies who don't develop their  talents and definitely do not fund them as well as some less talented male bands. Especially if they will not flash their boobs, wiggle their arses or sleep with their "management".

So no Little Mix then.

Good!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear this is what the spokesperson for a company thinks when they get a bit of criticism for a misshaped and badly detailed model. Same manufacture does not have a good record on getting things right. 

..............except to say that he is, of course, entitled to his opinion but it is not shared by the the thousands of modellers who buy, run and enjoy our models every year.

He wasn't talking about me.

• Like 2

Must agree with that comment, and a good example is the old 80s Hornby stuff (142, OAA etc). Poorly detailed, but at least the basic shape was right, allowing you to improve to whatever level your skills allow (both the above have been used on P4 scale layouts, with work).

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not that I am aware of.

That reminds be of the famous story of the Beatles being rejected by Decca because they thought "guitar bands are on the way out" then Parlophone only took them on because George Martin barely had enough work to do making comedy songs !

Many are finding the way forward these days is to sidestep the big record companies and open youtube channels.

Here's Reina Del Cid with the massively talented Toni Lindgren on guitar.  No recording contract, started her own " Sundays Mornings with Reina Del Cid   channel on youtube, and and now has almost 200k subscribers  which catapulted her from  coffee shops to two tours of Europe,  and regular dates in the US. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+reina+del+cid&refig=76026fd33f6f43c3b7d76d83b1912796&sp=-1&pq=youtube+reina+del+cid&sc=2-21&qs=n&sk=&cvid=76026fd33f6f43c3b7d76d83b1912796&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dyoutube%2breina%2bdel%2bcid%26form%3dANSPH1%26refig%3d76026fd33f6f43c3b7d76d83b1912796%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dyoutube%2breina%2bdel%2bcid%26sc%3d2-21%26qs%3dn%26sk%3d%26cvid%3d76026fd33f6f43c3b7d76d83b1912796&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=1795DF61F5D2CFD298F21795DF61F5D2CFD298F2&FORM=WRVORC

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot's going on? Trains, running on a train set on a model railway forum?

Well this what happens when you look after your locos, 2 Mainline Peaks both over 30 years old, if not nudging 40. D19 was the first one I converted to a split headcode, yes in the old days we had model the variations. D10 is one of the two locos that had a different style of body side grille, I think this is a ABS conversion, well the etches are. I also have D9 after it had a class 46 cab put on one end. Neither D9 or D10 have been made by any manufacturer. They came out the Peak box and ran straight away, it must be 18 months since they last ran. 

I did film D19 leaving the station several times, but trying to drive a train where I have to change points, power switches etc and hold a camera proved to be a disaster. I might try to edit them into one video.

Hi Clive,

Modelling Peaks ?!?!?!

You will be chucked off this forum if you don't start whinging about what comes out of boxes from China.

"Says a man that had an email today from Hattons about R3810."

Oh no, what have I said, it;s not even BR blue !?!?!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Modelling Peaks ?!?!?!

You will be chucked off this forum if you don't start whinging about what comes out of boxes from China.

"Says a man that had an email today from Hattons about R3810."

Oh no, what have I said, it;s not even BR blue !?!?!

Gibbo.

Not only that but saying that old Mainline locos with their grotty little motors and poor detailing work well, as for actually filming the act and posting it on here:diablo_mini:

Next you'll be saying is Lima pancake motors are wonderful........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great central said:

Not only that but saying that old Mainline locos with their grotty little motors and poor detailing work well, as for actually filming the act and posting it on here:diablo_mini:

Next you'll be saying is Lima pancake motors are wonderful........

Never had one fail, clean wheels , lightly oiled bearings and Lima locos do as they are asked.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Modelling, nah, that'll never catch on.

Mike.

I know Mike, to think back in the day what modellers had to contend with. Suppose we are lucky today when the only problem is the sound chip where the driver climbing on board the loco sounds like he has hob nail boots not shoes. :rtfm:

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Suppose we are lucky today when the only problem is the sound chip where the driver climbing on board the loco...

Aye lad, times was hard when I were a lad too...

• Funny 3

Really enjoyed the video of the Peaks.

Despite the vibes to the contrary, you obviously do do painting, not only green on the replacement grilles for D10, but nice white framing to them as well!

As you say, nothing wrong with Mainline and Lima locos, clearly they go like hang with a good load on.

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Why are those coaches all one colour?  What have you done with our Clive? Is it that blooming Mike Mortimer again?

I purposely used the rakes of RTR coaches for this video.

I can do multi-coloured trains if people so wish.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I purposely used the rakes of RTR coaches for this video.

I can do multi-coloured trains if people so wish.

Nooo! Funny thing about toy trains is that they are all in the eye of the beholder.You can get a superbly modelled layout with barely rivet out of place and somehow it does nothing for you, and the times you see a an elderly model running round with some ancient coaches with no scenery , ballast , or buildings and some thing in your brain clicks and it looks great.

To my eyes the video screams St. Pancras -Sheffield Exchange 1964. Just looks great.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1