Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

But these ladies play their own instruments and don't appear to be manufactured.

Their regime includes that so they can feel genuine. Hours of practice and instructions on every facet of life. Taught the sister of one of the successful ones and the pressure on her to join the machine was huge. Fun it did not look.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Woodenhead,

They can come and play my instrument any time they like, unfortunately for them I don't have an organ like Jean Michel Jarre !

Gibbo.

Now there's a blast from the past!

At risk of losing all cred. I rather like his stuff, some of it anyway, it brings back memories of a large "O" gauge public layout in York around 40 years ago where they played one of the LP's - Oxygene I think - as backdrop. Still listen to the LP's sometimes when I'm modelling.

At a similar time an old school friend was in HMV in Manchester and overheard a conversation "Have you heard the latest from Jean and Michael?" one person asked the other.

Happy days.

John.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi there,

Otoboke Beaver - weird, yet strangely charming.  Had a listen to a few of their tracks including the ones with occasional forays into English (lines such as "I hate you" as a refrain, and "Go to hell" chanted softly at the end of a song).  Worth watching.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Now there's a blast from the past!

At risk of losing all cred. I rather like his stuff, some of it anyway, it brings back memories of a large "O" gauge public layout in York around 40 years ago where they played one of the LP's - Oxygene I think - as backdrop. Still listen to the LP's sometimes when I'm modelling.

At a similar time an old school friend was in HMV in Manchester and overheard a conversation "Have you heard the latest from Jean and Michael?" one person asked the other.

Happy days.

John.

No cred lost imo, JMJ is always a popular listen here too. I didn't see all the VR online gig he did the other day, but I think his "cutting edge" label is still valid today. Been to a couple of his live shows, the light shows are spectacular as you would expect. 

My Dad did a slide show of one of our trips to Kyle & Mallaig for a local camera club using "The Essential JMJ" as a soundtrack; now I can only connect it with a mental trip through the Highlands! Happy days.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I have been model making :swoon: It is all the fault of Mallard60022 and 31A, they had a competition building a wagon each. I had to judge, both came second, you cannot have joint first because there is only one first.

Cambrian kit of a SR or LNER (built at Ashford) 5 plank open, as modified by BR with vacuum brakes.

002.jpg.1fe8e09a1697d24f7306761343e41082.jpg

While I was throwing it together, didn't go together as well as a Parkside kit, I had two BR Standard 5s trundling around the layout, one on a Manchester express and the other on a York bound semi-fast.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

More lockdown modelling continuing with the completion of some half finished items. The LMR excursion set has just gained another coach, this time a Period 1 Open Third or second as it would have been in this livery. 

20200708_143056.jpg.8056b011c9064dafe692a88f3df2da0c.jpg

It's a panelled two-window type to Diagram 1692 of which 555 were built between 1925 and 1929. They lasted in revenue service until the end of 1963. A large number were converted to Ward Cars for ambulance trains in WW2 then converted again to 57' Full Brakes on their return to the LMS.

The model is Comet sides on a Replica/Bachmann donor. The Stones vents were 3D printed by Guy Rixon based on a sketch I made at the NRM.

Next for the set will be a Period 1 all-steel BTO in blood & custard livery. The body is completed awaiting a delivery of some bits to finish the mods to the underframe and adding roof detail as I have just noticed that this lot had a steel roof  with quite prominent rivetted seams.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

...Cambrian kit of a SR or LNER (built at Ashford) 5 plank open, as modified by BR with vacuum brakes.

Good lad! 

You'll be building Queen Mary's from Jidenco kits in no time at all my babber ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi All

I have been model making :swoon: It is all the fault of Mallard60022 and 31A, they had a competition building a wagon each. I had to judge, both came second, you cannot have joint first because there is only one first.

Cambrian kit of a SR or LNER (built at Ashford) 5 plank open, as modified by BR with vacuum brakes.

002.jpg.1fe8e09a1697d24f7306761343e41082.jpg

While I was throwing it together, didn't go together as well as a Parkside kit, I had two BR Standard 5s trundling around the layout, one on a Manchester express and the other on a York bound semi-fast.

Try a Cambrian loriot, that will test your throwing abilities, probably across the room!

Needing 10 thou spacer washers behind the brass top hats is the least of its issues.

If ever a kit needed a refresh, this is the one, and as for the instructions, words fail me.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've done a few Cambrians, tend to be needing a bit of adjustment to get the best job, although the SR 8-plank I used for a BR Vac conversion went OK.  So did the Boplate, although I gave up on the fiddly buffers and used Dave Franks ones for that.. The Dance Hall Brake was a bit more awkward and I am currently wrestling with a rake of Catfish hoppers. I've got three assorted bogie bolsters in the stash which are due to replace some of my old Airfix/Mainline/Hornby ones.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi All

Here's my contribution to the wagon building competition.  It's a Chivers LNER Loco Coal wagon which I got recently from W M Collectables.  It took me 115 minutes yesterday to get it to this stage which included substituting metal tie bars for the moulded ones, and fitting a heftier brake cross shaft.  In the process of which I managed to break one of the brake levers!   But apart from ham fistedness on my part, it was a very nice kit to build.  Today I've fitted t/l coupling mountings and a ballast weight under the floor, but weather too bad for outdoor aerosol painting.

IMG_3471.jpg.97b870afac97fc626238e365e6e74bb5.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Here's my contribution to the wagon building competition.  It's a Chivers LNER Loco Coal wagon which I got recently from W M Collectables.  It took me 115 minutes yesterday to get it to this stage which included substituting metal tie bars for the moulded ones, and fitting a heftier brake cross shaft.  In the process of which I managed to break one of the brake levers!   But apart from ham fistedness on my part, it was a very nice kit to build.  Today I've fitted t/l coupling mountings and a ballast weight under the floor, but weather too bad for outdoor aerosol painting.

IMG_3471.jpg.97b870afac97fc626238e365e6e74bb5.jpg

Messrs Peco Parkside, Cambrian and others please take note, that's a decent wagon kit!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Good to see your doing some proper Modelling again Mr M.:good:

Yes, and he's made such a good job of it you can't tell which Hornbachtrixang coaches he cut and shut it from, and worryingly it's all one colour.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

Me, I'm just trying to resist the temptation of the reissue of the chivers MDV. Already got more than a few, some converted to non top flap versions, and some with ex HTO underframes.

I have to keep telling myself I don`t need more.

• Friendly/supportive 1

A much older model, a 3H LMS design coke hopper. This was built in the seventies as one of six. They suffered from exhibition travels, the plastic has become very brittle.

Clive will remember the long freight trains these featured in we operated on the club layouts at shows.

image.png.3243bd458c2c3abfe6d2086d3e82a0ee.png

• Like 9

Hi Folks,

More wagons, here is a suitably modified FGA, FFA's are also available;

1438302221_DSCF10501.JPG.ca9631a11eb9331990570ea6c786c0cc.JPG

Better yet and just for Clive a cut and shut set of prototype container flats:

1764791506_DSCF10511.JPG.db7a9c3f468fa0a3fedaca7dddc9ac8e.JPG

Who needs fancy kits when you can hack old Triang stuff about.

Gibbo.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

20200710_101136.jpg.bc77f23d8485dda00350ecb80fde6df6.jpg

Aforementioned Loriot with an eBay purchase as a load.

Don't look too closely, the wagon is a "make the most of a bad job" scenario, and both it and the load will be subjected to final fettling when I get home (hopefully a week today) as there is no point buying the bits and bobs twice unnecessarily. This will include finishing the bufferheads off with files and filler in the mini drill, replacing a few more lumpen bits of Cambrian plastic with microstrip, spraying and fitting CCT transfers.

I'm hoping to get to John Dutfields before I go back, if he's got a kit in stock I will probably have another go at the wagon learning from this experience.

A definite case of managing to build a model despite the kit and the instructions!

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3