Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

11 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Me, I'm just trying to resist the temptation of the reissue of the chivers MDV. Already got more than a few, some converted to non top flap versions, and some with ex HTO underframes.

I have to keep telling myself I don`t need more.

I didn't realise they were back in business. Perhaps you could elaborate please?

I've only done about four of them, two 21t fitted minerals, and a couple of the LMS plates. Excellent kits I thought and wished I'd bought some more.

John.

P.S. I've found the section in "Small Suppliers" about this re-release. Great news.

Edited by John Tomlinson
P.S.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

20200710_112652.jpg.bff154f417c165cb3936d41f72c8dcf4.jpg

A typical Yorkshireman van!

A thirty Bob unpainted Dapol body, Lanarkshire buffers/roof vents/vac pipes/vac cylinder/coupling hook, Gibson wheels and the rest of the undergubbins from the spares box (Lurpak tub) after building the myriad other Parkside kits during lockdown. Weathering to be completed at home.

Voila, a half decent van for less than a tenner, luxury!

Mike.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 02/07/2020 at 16:52, John Tomlinson said:

Now there's a blast from the past!

At risk of losing all cred. I rather like his stuff, some of it anyway, it brings back memories of a large "O" gauge public layout in York around 40 years ago where they played one of the LP's - Oxygene I think - as backdrop. Still listen to the LP's sometimes when I'm modelling.

At a similar time an old school friend was in HMV in Manchester and overheard a conversation "Have you heard the latest from Jean and Michael?" one person asked the other.

Happy days.

John.

HMV Manchester, Market Street.
Three floors of tunes, great folk and jazz sections, with knowledgeable staff. Gone now of course.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

These are my main Cambrian constructions so far, in chronological order of completion except for the one on the bottom right.

884944809_Cambriankits.jpg.da0de6fcd6f96a96c0c051349a73bfe9.jpg

• Pillbox brake. 
  • LNER 16T Mineral. Bought from the scrap box at an old model shop for £1, mainly because it had a set of metal wheels. Addition of weight with unsuitable adhesive had wrecked the floor but the rest seemed to be ok. Carefully dismantled and rebuilt on a bit of styrene sheet.
  • SR 8-plank merchandise wagon ex-works from being vac fitted by BR.
  • SECR design Dance Hall Brake. This one needed a bit of work to get it to fit together well but pleased with the overall result.
  • Boplate E. This went together pretty well. Lanarkshire buffers used as I couldn't get the Cambrian ones to stay together. My first successful attempt at home made transfers.
  • Finally a Starfish which was the first Cambrian kit I built longer ago than I care to remember. May get a bit of an upgrade when I have finished off a few more projects.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

SECR design Dance Hall Brake. This one needed a bit of work to get it to fit together well but pleased with the overall result.

I've got one in the roundtuit vault, but an early one which had the wrong roof profile and Cambrian provided a replacement roof. Is it the mating of differing profiles which caused a problem?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've got one in the roundtuit vault, but an early one which had the wrong roof profile and Cambrian provided a replacement roof. Is it the mating of differing profiles which caused a problem?

Mike.

That may have been the cause, it just seemed that as you went along some of the bits didn't line up right but the usual cheats with a fine file and a tube of filler got it together at the second attempt. 

I find that with some kits a bit of evergreen angle tack welded inside the first corner helps to get things going. Just has to be carefully removed if you do it on open wagons

• Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

etched version of the Dancehall, I don't hold out much hope for it, when I too, get aroundtuit.

Will you be appearing on Strictly when you do ? 

Seven !!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Like "The Signal Engineer" I was pleased with the final outcome on mine, but there was a problem fitting the roof.  As well as fitting snugly along the top of the sides, it has to meet up with the four corner stanchions, which are very easily broken off once you start fiddling about. I got there eventually by filing bits off the corner bottom of the roof and adjusting the stanchions out a bit after they'd broken, plus a bit of carefully placed microstrip for packing. Basically I think the roof isn't quite the right shape, and it's a bit thick to bend much.

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

As well as fitting snugly along the top of the sides, it has to meet up with the four corner stanchions, which are very easily broken off once you start fiddling about

Same problem with mine. The one on the far side in the picture is definitely not square on. I think that was the one that didn't survive 'adjusting' and was refitted last after the roof was in place.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Keeping the wagons rolling on this otherwise passenger line here we have another tube wagon. It represents an LNER dia199 wagon with no doors.

The Ian Kirk kit of the LMS wagon shown earlier formed the basis with buffers from Lanarkshire Models and springs/axleboxes from Rumney Models.

The brakeshoes are 51L, the levers and vac pipes are ABS (I think!) whilst the brake linkages are mostly Ambis as are the axleguards. 

The axleboxes probably should be the LNER open front type rather than the BR version for the late '50s early '60s. 

image.png.ea76e6e3a034880168eaca9cd1effc40.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Better than mine, made from the kirk kit with the centre drop door replaced with a section from the parkside BR kit.

DSCF0921.JPG.f711109b106a0328b41a934dca31e79d.JPG

Still waiting couplings and vac pipes.

DSCF0922.JPG.dac48d4070a08e80f4306684789c8976.JPG

A kirk original 

DSCF0923.JPG.4e3da2f760fde63bd3584ff132f08b36.JPG

A MDO attempt at the heavier sprung 25t version, springs replaced with spares from the cambrian air opens and roller bearing axleboxes.

DSCF0924.JPG.96b3c7ae65f77af9b9456667f23d4ad6.JPG

And a trio of pig iron wagons built from trix bodies with replacement kit underframes.

And in the backgroud, a dinosaur i am making from replica suburbans and DC kits ends.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not saying I am going to be building it, but I am saying, I've just broken the 'things that must only be bought & sold on eBay and never opened or used' rule...

IMG_20200712_102423986.jpg.61de59870f45ef828fe0d4064ea1dd50.jpg

Anyone know where I can get haloperidol over the counter ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
Harsh reality
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

12 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I'm not saying I am going to be building it, but I am saying, I've just broken the 'things that must only be bought & sold on eBay and never opened or used' rule...

IMG_20200712_102423986.jpg.61de59870f45ef828fe0d4064ea1dd50.jpg

Anyone know where I can get haloperidol over the counter ;)

That looks rather good, have to see how well it fits! I made their GC15t Fish van once, turned out fine but took forever with well over 100 parts, all soldered.

I wonder if you will fit the external sides onto the inner part before or after bending up, or indeed the optimal time to fit the vertical stanchions?

I can't work out what the two long lengths at RH top are for though.

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I can't work out what the two long lengths at RH top are for though.

John.

According to the scibbles, those are folded into a u shape and make up the sole bars.

Yes, I shall do as much detailing as possible before folding it up.  I have the plans/and or photos in one of the volumes on Southern Railway wagons, so hopefully should get everything where it's supposed to go :)

Of course, soldering advice shall come from Ricey's scribblings on the matter in his etched loco construction book.

I'm still no committing myself though...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3