Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

100_5102a.jpg.f6e52bdded1a1877c041897191d2a277.jpg

These were started in 1985.

100_5103a.jpg.4613b7059df80d4367ad68dda847fb86.jpg

I still need to finish off the bogies and glaze them. The two photos show them pulling their first train in 2018.  I am not in a hurry.

Hi Clive,

With that I'm in third place already !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

You two beat me, the longest I`ve had is a DC kits 105, got it and started before my daughter was born, she is now 15.

That BG, a scrapyard/condemned coach? The only reason I can think of for one with no doors, unless you were making a model of wolverton?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking i was making a proper length BG from the Lima carcass and that my next step was going to be to start cutting those existing panels across the floor to get the doors and windows in the right places.

Somewhere in the debris is another BG version made from two Mainline BSK's, and that was started with two brand new coaches whenever they came out,  so that could qualify as the oldest. It also has the drawings with it, so that might help refresh my memory on the Lima wreckage.

Mike.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

35 years! That must be a record... unless anyone knows better...

Not a railway model, but I'm just finishing repairing an Airfix Grumman Wildcat that I think I built about 35 years ago but never painted.  Decals tonight and varnishing then it's done - at last....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am having a running session, at the moment is a Peak hauling the LMS excursion set. Only one coach is in a full livery and has glazing (it is a RTR Repilca TSO). It is running at a moderate speed, 50 scale mph. At the same time I am listening to some of my favourite female bands on Spotify.

It is very relaxing just watching the train running around. 

What a great hobby toy trains are. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Not a railway model, but I'm just finishing repairing an Airfix Grumman Wildcat that I think I built about 35 years ago but never painted.  Decals tonight and varnishing then it's done - at last....

Somewhere (I have not seen it recently), I have a Hambling's Fairburn tank bought circa 1973. Valve gear defeated me.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

That kit is Only one year younger than me. Old man lol

I presume Jazzer is a similar age to myself, if so he is in his prime of his life.

In fact since the age of about 3 I have always considered myself to be in the prime of my life. Something I never realised while I was young that I would always be in the prime of my life, just ones priorities change over time.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

G'Day Folks

I started this C1 (out of a B12) in the early 70's, it's now a runner, but I still have to line it and fit the handrails and give her a number. (4419)

manna

DSCF4979.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Somewhere (I have not seen it recently), I have a Hambling's Fairburn tank bought circa 1973. Valve gear defeated me.

In a tidy up recently I found two ancient card kits for LNER coaches, which must be of a similar age -  just the overlays nothing else. One from Prototype one from TRIX. May scan/print and have a go at building.

Edited by john new
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I started this C1 (out of a B12) in the early 70's, it's now a runner, but I still have to line it and fit the handrails and give her a number. (4419)

manna

DSCF4979.JPG

Was that the one that was fitted with a boaster for a short while?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I`ve found a cure for the chopping up of replica coaches syndrome. I`ve run out of coaches. Waiting for a delivery to carry on.

Here is my latest effort, what do you think?

DSCF0926.JPG.9f24e3c67b7c4aff45294efc3a93410f.JPG

PS-Love the pics of the layout in action. 

Ooh nice, not a Bachmann or even Lima chop job presumably?

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

20200724_192840.jpg.d11ad8b25348213440707fee13f5afcf.jpg

Whilst looking for something else, (isn't it always the case!), I came across this  which I started in the early 80's. The problem is, I can't remember where I was going with it as it's so long ago! I've still got all the bits, and I thought that the collected wisdom of "cut and shut r us" hereabouts might be able to help.

TIA.

Mike.

Looks fun Mike, is it one of these?

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/NPCCS/NBA-RES-Super-BG/

5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Perhaps we could have a competition to see who has the longest running unfinished project hidden away in the "Nearly Started" box. You are quite someway ahead of me with the above offering being from the early 1980's. As to where you are going it looks too long to any kind of BG.

The best I can manage are these two as yet unfinished concoctions from 1991:

DSCF1037.JPG.fea7ebcb92fd91025915807da55cd867.JPG

Class 82 which is quite well on and soon to be disqualified.

DSCF1036.JPG.226b166c4deeb9bb143144200669a6c5.JPG

Class 83 languishing in the "Nearly Started" box.

Gibbo.

I'm out of the running there, unless doing projects I SHOULD have been doing in 1980ish count?:victory:

20200725_002834.jpg.426c6ae5d6312f766ff9cdf398282d66.jpg

Great to see Clive's layout photos.

Cheers all,

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Perhaps we could have a competition to see who has the longest running unfinished project hidden away in the "Nearly Started" box.

I bought a Liliput AL1 body in about 1985 when David Boyle at Dapol was flogging them off.It was supposed to run on Leeds MRS's Hartford Junction layout, which was built, exhibited and dismantled long ago. I never started it because I didn't have any pantographs but a pair might be available soon from Judith Edge kits, so I'll have to think of another excuse.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I presume Jazzer is a similar age to myself, if so he is in his prime of his life.

In fact since the age of about 3 I have always considered myself to be in the prime of my life. Something I never realised while I was young that I would always be in the prime of my life, just ones priorities change over time.

I believe that we're just a few years apart, Clive, and I expect that like me you are still wondering what you're going to do when you grow up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I believe that we're just a few years apart, Clive, and I expect that like me you are still wondering what you're going to do when you grow up.

I am.

I am also waiting for the day when I can perform my traditional family duty of official program seller at a coronation, a role handed down from father to son.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I bought a Liliput AL1 body in about 1985 when David Boyle at Dapol was flogging them off.It was supposed to run on Leeds MRS's Hartford Junction layout, which was built, exhibited and dismantled long ago. I never started it because I didn't have any pantographs but a pair might be available soon from Judith Edge kits, so I'll have to think of another excuse.

Excuse, never ran in Cornwall.

But you could always relocate you layout , bung up some OLE and finish your loco? :punish:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

20200724_192840.jpg.d11ad8b25348213440707fee13f5afcf.jpg

Whilst looking for something else, (isn't it always the case!), I came across this  which I started in the early 80's. The problem is, I can't remember where I was going with it as it's so long ago! I've still got all the bits, and I thought that the collected wisdom of "cut and shut r us" hereabouts might be able to help.

TIA.

Mike.

Hi Mike

From memory the Lima model doors were too wide where they had stretched the body, I think that is why I never made one scale length.

The Tri-ang one had the right sized doors with longer panels between the sets of doors. I did reduce a couple of them down to scale length. The Tri-ang one also works out right for the South Tyneside (later North Merseyside) Motor Parcels Van.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5