Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Quiz time.

To what diagram is this contraption taken ?

Bonus points for lot number !

DSCF1079.JPG.ff4963f0356109935a964da95e58c785.JPG

Gibbo.

It is a West Coast Pullman First Class Kitchen car, diagram 15, lot number 30755.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's easy for you to say!

I had it down as a coach.

Mike.

I had it as a plastic molding with no windows, seats or those things from your nose that goes under neeeefff.:maninlove:

• Funny 8

17 hours ago, jazzer said:

I still have in the loft my old Hornby O gauge goods clockwork goods set my parents bought me sometime during the last century.I cant remember exactly when but the price is still on the box  - 59shillings and 6 pence. 

I could start a topic on but it would be pretty short : Post 1 put the track together. Post 2 Wind it up. Post 3 take the brake off and let it go . The End. 

What a simple hobby it used to be:)

And, boy did we get some fun out of it!

The emphasis then was on the operating, or "playing"  None of this accuracy and rivet counting nonsense.

I am sure Clive hankers after those days with his coaches that don't quite match for livery and lack of scenery, but emphasis on operation?, and good for him I say!

I missed out on the Clockwork trains going straight to a Triang  Jinty set, although I had a number of wind up vehicles, of which my fondest memory is of the stop and go tinplate trolleybus!

Enough of these rose tinted spectacles memories, I have a couple of Hornby 00 tinplate wagons to sort the wheels out so as to run on my 2 rail!

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I had it as a plastic molding with no windows, seats or those things from your nose that goes under neeeefff.:maninlove:

Hi Andrew,

I think you find that said plastic artifact is currently in what may be termed "NEARLY STARTED" condition.

I also thought that the regulars of this thread might appreciate that the as yet unpainted plastic body side inserts are horizontal rather than the more usual vertical in pattern.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Andrew,

I think you find that said plastic artifact is currently in what may be termed "NEARLY STARTED" condition.

I also thought that the regulars of this thread might appreciate that the as yet unpainted plastic body side inserts are horizontal rather than the more usual vertical in pattern.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I can do horizontal, in fact Mrs M says I am good at doing horizontal as I am always a sleep when she wants me to do anything.

006a.jpg.a4e1a693a9a802bc044a742d191d8cae.jpg

007a.jpg.53128a61c74714cc514f25478c9f9b01.jpg

ER Non Gangway CL as used on the GNR and LTSR, the ones seen at Sheffield Exchange are ex LTSR following that line being electrocuted.

• Like 13

Clive, your last post rattled my cage a bit, as I hadn't twigged there were such things.

Is this the Bachmann 57' coach, with side corridors to compartments in each class and a lavatory in the middle?

The reason I was intrigued is in the attached picture, a D.C. Kits Mk1 57' SLO also for GN services. I recently completed building this and it is awaiting the hated painting. To my shame it's the first D.C. kits thing I've made, and it needs Butanone to stick together.

John.

IMG_1163 copyweb.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Clive, your last post rattled my cage a bit, as I hadn't twigged there were such things.

Is this the Bachmann 57' coach, with side corridors to compartments in each class and a lavatory in the middle?

The reason I was intrigued is in the attached picture, a D.C. Kits Mk1 57' SLO also for GN services. I recently completed building this and it is awaiting the hated painting. To my shame it's the first D.C. kits thing I've made, and it needs Butanone to stick together.

John.

IMG_1163 copyweb.jpg

Hi John,

I don't think Clive edited the Barrowmore catalogue, I think it was him that did all the drawing, this is why he knows all the types, diagrams and lot numbers !

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

John.

IMG_1163 copyweb.jpg

Hi John 

The GNR had both SO(L) and CL for the outer suburban workings The train formation was normally on leaving Kings Cross, loco SO(L)/BS/CL/CL/SO(L)/BS The BS being inside the leading SO(L) had something to do with the platform lengths at some stations so the van could be emptied. The passengers could always walk through the coach to alight.  On the LTSR my understanding was they were to work eight coach trains formed of 2 four car sets of a BS/CL/S/SO(L). The converted Illford stock ran in similar formations. Photos from the mid 50s until the EMUs took over show BR, Illford converts, LMS and MR stock mixed. It seems only the MR 48ft stock was kept together. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 hours ago, 31A said:

My attempt at an SLO, using a Bachmann SO with the lavatorial bits in the middle from the DC Kits version:

P1000683.jpg.027bc9319df6fbec7228c3a28b37e685.jpg

I think this is the sensible way to achieve an SLO, or alternatively Clive's filling and carving, if you wish the finished item to sit with some other Bachmann Mk1 suburbans. For consistency with mine I added thin pieces of microrod, rubbed down, across the roof to represent the weld seams, and there's also the little matter of 48 hinges to be carefully glued in place, plus 32 holes to be drilled to take the grab rails by the doors.

I did however gain the experience of a D.C, kits build - very favourable - and as I have two more of their products in the cupboard that I'm really bothered about - a 114 and a 205 - this could be deemed as useful. Plus I think my effort should look fine when painted.

May I ask how you've glazed your Bachmann's in the photo? It looks very convincing indeed.

John.

• Like 3

Just to elaborate on my last comment, the D.C. kits instructions recommend you build the sides in sections up from the floor. This isn't how I like to do things as I prefer to have a bodyshell of sides, ends and roof that is true and can be sprayed. Also I thought it best to assemble the three part sides before anything else, to be confident they were straight. The outcome prior to a final wash before painting is seen below. The interior uses Lima 117 seats plus a couple of end bench Kirks, and plasticard.

John.

IMG_1158 copy2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I think this is the sensible way to achieve an SLO, or alternatively Clive's filling and carving, if you wish the finished item to sit with some other Bachmann Mk1 suburbans. For consistency with mine I added thin pieces of microrod, rubbed down, across the roof to represent the weld seams, and there's also the little matter of 48 hinges to be carefully glued in place, plus 32 holes to be drilled to take the grab rails by the doors.

I did however gain the experience of a D.C, kits build - very favourable - and as I have two more of their products in the cupboard that I'm really bothered about - a 114 and a 205 - this could be deemed as useful. Plus I think my effort should look fine when painted.

May I ask how you've glazed your Bachmann's in the photo? It looks very convincing indeed.

John.

There was quite a saga to mine actually!  I've got two but the one in the picture is the better one; the painting of the other wasn't great.  I started doing them in much the same way that Clive is doing but lost confidence in my ability to fill the door lines and make the new windows to a consistent shape, and I put them aside for a few years while I thought about it.  Then I bought two DC Kits complete kits, like you've got.  But I wanted them to run with Bachmann coaches, and I'd already done some of the work anyway (interiors and roofs) so in the end I just used the middle sections from the sides off the DC Kits coaches!  So quite a wasteful and extravagant way of doing it really.  But anyway, they turned out as you can see in the picture.

They're glazed as per quite a few of my other Bachmann suburbans with the Shawplan Lazerglaze kits which are very good.  They fit much better to coaches that you haven't painted yourself though, they're that accurate that the thickness of the paint in the window apertures means the Lazerglaze pieces have to be sanded down to fit!  Which rather defeats the object!  They fitted into the quarter lights either side of the DC Kits lavatory section, but the actual lavatory windows themselves are just glazed with clear material from behind; the DC Kits side pieces are quite thin so I don't think that's too obvious.

One of the other things I do to the Bachmann suburbans is that I carve & sand off the roof ribs as I think they're way too prominent - if there's just a 'ghost' of them left that seems quite enough - which might have saved you at least part of the job on yours!

Yours looks like a very neat job though, it should look good when it's finished; well done with all the hinges and door handles!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

That's very helpful, thanks. I hadn't realised that there was now Laserglaze for the Bachmann Mk1's, and that does look the way to go. As you know, the D.C. kits sides have recesses for the glazing moulded into the sides, which means the glazing sits quite close to the outer surface of the coach. I asked Charlie Petty about his kits once, and apparently this facility to have thin plastic around the windows was why he chose the type of plastic he did, and why they need Butanone to soften them to be glued together.

The weld seams are a difficult one, they're definitely there, but not as much as moulded by Bachmann. Southern Pride managed to mould a very slight representation on their Mk1 roofs, which is probably about right. I haven't sanded mine off, but do find that a dose of gritty weathering tones them down a fair bit, probably not enough though. Attached is a shot from around 2016 of 34046/52 passing through Rutland on a mainline rake of stock, which is how the roofs should look presumably - sorry about the shadows!

John.

IMG_8948 copyweb2.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, 31A said:

They're glazed as per quite a few of my other Bachmann suburbans with the Shawplan Lazerglaze kits which are very good.  They fit much better to coaches that you haven't painted yourself though, they're that accurate that the thickness of the paint in the window apertures means the Lazerglaze pieces have to be sanded down to fit!  Which rather defeats the object! 

Although still a lot easier than cutting and filing a myriad of pieces of clear plastic, some of which go in the bin!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The last two night I have been wrestling a B16/2 to get it to run. After sorting out many issues, some of my own making it now runs reasonably. It runs very well backwards. :good:

It was sold as a DJH kit but I think it is a Nu Cast kit having looked at other peoples models of Nu Cast and DJH B16s. :rtfm: Now I have mucked about with it I cannot send it back. :blush:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The last two night I have been wrestling a B16/2 to get it to run. After sorting out many issues, some of my own making it now runs reasonably. It runs very well backwards. :good:

It was sold as a DJH kit but I think it is a Nu Cast kit having looked at other peoples models of Nu Cast and DJH B16s. :rtfm: Now I have mucked about with it I cannot send it back. :blush:

It is a decent loco, so pictures.

thank you.

richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, richard i said:

It is a decent loco, so pictures.

thank you.

richard 

Once I have repainted it into BR livery. After it fell apart when I pulled on the buffer beam to see if it was glued or soldered  it laid in its box for a few months. Last night I glued it back together, but the cab is on the wonk so I think I need to take it apart and start again, maybe with solder.

The most important thing is it works now.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Once I have repainted it into BR livery. After it fell apart when I pulled on the buffer beam to see if it was glued or soldered  it laid in its box for a few months. Last night I glued it back together, but the cab is on the wonk so I think I need to take it apart and start again, maybe with solder.

The most important thing is it works now.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, do you not listen to what the modeller of the year tells you, you can't/mustn't/shouldn't  glue metal model kits together, especially an eastern region one, you'll get a visit from the solder police and your hair will fall out.

Mike.

• Funny 9

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It could be DJH,  the B16 kit goes back a long way. I bought one on offer when the Nottingham show first moved to the Victoria leisure centre so probably late 70s. 

If I dig it out I can check but pretty sure it was all white metal the same as Nu cast of the time who, I think, also did a B16. Difficult to imagine nowadays that we once had duplication among kits let alone RTR.

Edit: should have read what you wrote properly, you've already checked both DJH and Nu cast! D'oh!

Edited by great central
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2020 at 21:05, Northmoor said:

Not a railway model, but I'm just finishing repairing an Airfix Grumman Wildcat that I think I built about 35 years ago but never painted.  Decals tonight and varnishing then it's done - at last....

Finally finished:

IMG_5332.JPG.c3a6866bfa96a2a46d575650b232239a.JPG

Now as this is Clive's thread, what have I got that could have appeared over Sheffield in the early 1960s......?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, do you not listen to what the modeller of the year tells you, you can't/mustn't/shouldn't  glue metal model kits together, especially an eastern region one, you'll get a visit from the solder police and your hair will fall out.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I was going to plunge it in to that stuff Sir uses and solder it back together but the devil took hold and I put it back together as it had been made first time.

Whilst trying to get it to run it was given the option of being thrown in the bin or out the window.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Finally finished:

IMG_5332.JPG.c3a6866bfa96a2a46d575650b232239a.JPG

Now as this is Clive's thread, what have I got that could have appeared over Sheffield in the early 1960s......?

Thought Sheffield was wet but inland, didn't realise it was in the Coral Sea

;)

• Funny 4