Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Thought Sheffield was wet but inland, didn't realise it was in the Coral Sea

;)

It could be soon, with all the doom and gloom about rising sea levels most of Lincolnshire will be under water moving the coast line almost to Sheffield.

Where I live will be under the sea about the same time as I would be saying good bye to this world if I live a long time. Making this house worthless so my to lazy kids won't inherit anything. :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Finally finished:

IMG_5332.JPG.c3a6866bfa96a2a46d575650b232239a.JPG

Now as this is Clive's thread, what have I got that could have appeared over Sheffield in the early 1960s......?

Is it entirely impossible that one of these flew over Sheffield?

A B17 crashed on the south side of the City, presumably on a training mission to the Peak District, and some of these American fighters were over here with the RAF - I don't know if the Wildcat was one of them.

Looks very nice whatever, but I'm bound to say that isn't an original Airfix stand!

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Is it entirely impossible that one of these flew over Sheffield?

A B17 crashed on the south side of the City, presumably on a training mission to the Peak District, and some of these American fighters were over here with the RAF - I don't know if the Wildcat was one of them.

Looks very nice whatever, but I'm bound to say that isn't an original Airfix stand!

John.

Not sure Wildcats ever flew in the UK, they tended to be carrier-borne in the Pacific Fleet.  The UK Fleet Air Arm did fly them as the "Martlet".  Neither would have been in service in Clive's model era though.  I can't remember why I ever bought this kit, I tended to want British/German WW2 or modern aircraft.  Perhaps I just liked the colour.

And yes, the "stand" is one of Costa's free supply of modelling materials (isn't the coffee stirrer just the most useful free modelling material known to man?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Flush glazing

As someone who has spent hundred on the stuff I do find that a small amount of sanding is necessary.

I do have a standard treatment for aircons of filing so they just fall through before sticking frames on.

A fully done up Airfix is still a nice piece of rolling stock.

I do have some secret inside news I will release when I get the bits and take pictures.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Not sure Wildcats ever flew in the UK, they tended to be carrier-borne in the Pacific Fleet.  The UK Fleet Air Arm did fly them as the "Martlet".  Neither would have been in service in Clive's model era though.  I can't remember why I ever bought this kit, I tended to want British/German WW2 or modern aircraft.  Perhaps I just liked the colour.

And yes, the "stand" is one of Costa's free supply of modelling materials (isn't the coffee stirrer just the most useful free modelling material known to man?).

This "family" of US fighters, Hellcat, Wildcat, Thunderbolt (?) P47 are very impressive in the flesh, I remember seeing them at Duxford in flying condition many moons ago. Totally different to our infinitely more elegant Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Great use of the Costa stick, I discovered not long ago that you can now buy packs of the old type Airfix stands, if you really want that nostalgia kick.

John.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

This "family" of US fighters, Hellcat, Wildcat, Thunderbolt (?) P47 are very impressive in the flesh, I remember seeing them at Duxford in flying condition many moons ago. Totally different to our infinitely more elegant Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Great use of the Costa stick, I discovered not long ago that you can now buy packs of the old type Airfix stands, if you really want that nostalgia kick.

John.

I probably have a few of the clear plastic stands somewhere, but not found them yet.  Today and tomorrow are probably not the best for going into my loft, I don't want to turn into a puddle.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, richard i said:

It is a decent loco, so pictures.

thank you.

richard 

It is a pile of what the horses leave Mrs M to clear up.

But here is a video of it now it is running reasonably.

Looking at photos of B16/2s and B16/3s the boiler seems to be sitting too high so into Sir's magic stuff might be on the cards. Followed by a rebuild. I don't think I will get the chassis to run any better and I am not contemplating making a new one. The middle wheels need replacing as they are flangeless, you can see where a previous owner has filed the flanges off, they were not flangeless from new.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is a pile of what the horses leave Mrs M to clear up.

But here is a video of it now it is running reasonably.

Looking at photos of B16/2s and B16/3s the boiler seems to be sitting too high so into Sir's magic stuff might be on the cards. Followed by a rebuild. I don't think I will get the chassis to run any better and I am not contemplating making a new one. The middle wheels need replacing as they are flangeless, you can see where a previous owner has filed the flanges off, they were not flangeless from new.

Nice!

i am sure you will do a good job with it.

richard

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

i distinctly heard a chuff-chuff sound from the loco in time with the motion as it went round.  You’re not hiding DC* sound from us are you?

:-)

Paul.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Clive,

i distinctly heard a chuff-chuff sound from the loco in time with the motion as it went round.  You’re not hiding DC* sound from us are you?

:-)

Paul.

No, I think it has a tight spot making that noise but I cannot find where.

I think the moral of this is don't buy a kit loco off the interwebthingy.........sadly I have three more on their way , I won a bid on Vectis Auctions a few days before trying to do some thing with the B16. I have a Caprotti Standard Five, a Clan and I think a D20 (they make some very strange lots) to sort out soon. I do hope the Caprotti is working fairly well. I am going to keep the Clan despite it not being a class of loco that would be seen in Sheffield but the bright green D20 will be hopefully found its forever home.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No, I think it has a tight spot making that noise but I cannot find where.

I think the moral of this is don't buy a kit loco off the interwebthingy.........sadly I have three more on their way , I won a bid on Vectis Auctions a few days before trying to do some thing with the B16. I have a Caprotti Standard Five, a Clan and I think a D20 (they make some very strange lots) to sort out soon. I do hope the Caprotti is working fairly well. I am going to keep the Clan despite it not being a class of loco that would be seen in Sheffield but the bright green D20 will be hopefully found its forever home.

A Clan did pass through Sheffield Midland, there's a well documented accidental tour by Clan McGregor (72005) where, if I remember correctly, it got as far south as Bristol. 

Presumably arriving somewhere then being borrowed for another working.

I was spotting at Derby on the day it worked back towards the north, as it ran into the station from under the London Road bridge it was obviously something unusual to the area!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great central said:

A Clan did pass through Sheffield Midland, there's a well documented accidental tour by Clan McGregor (72005) where, if I remember correctly, it got as far south as Bristol. 

Presumably arriving somewhere then being borrowed for another working.

I was spotting at Derby on the day it worked back towards the north, as it ran into the station from under the London Road bridge it was obviously something unusual to the area!

Hi GC

One also made it to St Pancras. A member of the Maldon club must have told me several times, he even showed me proof as it had been documented in a magazine. The thing is I never disbelieved him.

Like all my off region diesels I have I think I will keep it because I want to. I do hope it is the start of a slippery slope, as I have a soft spot for rebuilt Bullboy span cans without the can.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi GC

One also made it to St Pancras. A member of the Maldon club must have told me several times, he even showed me proof as it had been documented in a magazine. The thing is I never disbelieved him.

Like all my off region diesels I have I think I will keep it because I want to. I do hope it is the start of a slippery slope, as I have a soft spot for rebuilt Bullboy span cans without the can.

Not really that surprising that as they worked on the S&C down to Leeds, they'd occasionally drift a bit further south. Or in the case of St.Pancras or Bristol, a lot further! There must be a lot of funnies that happened in the night that were scarcely documented. Deltics on freight was another one, lots of use on the ECML after dark, hardly any pics though.

I was interested to see you'd used Vectis Auctions, Clive. I only stumbled on them a couple of weeks back, and looking through the next auction list realised it might cost me quite a lot of money, so I haven't registered - yet! The part completed white metal/etched kit can sometimes offer amazing value when the cost of wheels and motors is taken into account, it just depends how much of a Horlicks the previous owner has made.

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJI said:

I am starting to get an urge to try EM, just one little layout, a plank really. Not my BR blue stuff.

Help!

Rather a lot of wheels to redo, if your history of posts is anything to go by - depends what you mean by not your BR Blue stuff.

I came back into the hobby seriously just over twenty years ago, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone EM. Almost all the realism of P4 without the traumas of actually making the thing run. Plus nowadays a lot of aids in terms of RTR track and drop in wheelsets for RTR stock.  However I have a largish and complex layout, operationally complete but not so scenically - it has all been painstakingly ballasted though. Also rather a lot of locos and stock. Plus I'm into my '60's and don't really want to make another fresh start - in 4mm anyway. So I'll live with the compromise, good luck to you if you take the plunge.

John.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Surely for your Clan to reach Sheffield just needs a football special - United or Wednesday home to  Carlisle United or a game in one of those European cups that were variously named over the years versus one of the bigger Scottish teams.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Not really that surprising that as they worked on the S&C down to Leeds, they'd occasionally drift a bit further south. Or in the case of St.Pancras or Bristol, a lot further! There must be a lot of funnies that happened in the night that were scarcely documented. Deltics on freight was another one, lots of use on the ECML after dark, hardly any pics though.

I was interested to see you'd used Vectis Auctions, Clive. I only stumbled on them a couple of weeks back, and looking through the next auction list realised it might cost me quite a lot of money, so I haven't registered - yet! The part completed white metal/etched kit can sometimes offer amazing value when the cost of wheels and motors is taken into account, it just depends how much of a Horlicks the previous owner has made.

John.

Hi John

It cost me more than I thought as I won 3 other bids as well, more DMUs and carriages. Last time I went on there I lost every bid so thought the same would happen again. Ouch!!!!! shouted my credit card when it realised I had won.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Hold on both sound and EM mentioned on the same page of my thread, I have my lawyers working on this problem as I type.

Never mind how about some lunch time music,

I remember watching this on a small black and white TV we had in the guardroom................wow Joan Jett.......

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Clive,

If it's anything like Ebay the prices are all over the place at the moment. Ebay went through a phase of everything going for silly money (presumably when everyone was at home and not going out), now some things seem to be a real bargain.

Just make sure you don't end up being a model railway trader rather than a modeller, which I suspect is an easy trap to fall into. Every so often I look at my stuff, of which like many of us I have too much, and think I ought to try to sell some of it. Problem is I actually like everything I've got, even the superceded stuff has a charm or personal attachment, so it's all still here and likely to remain so.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3