Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Clive,

If it's anything like Ebay the prices are all over the place at the moment. Ebay went through a phase of everything going for silly money (presumably when everyone was at home and not going out), now some things seem to be a real bargain.

Just make sure you don't end up being a model railway trader rather than a modeller, which I suspect is an easy trap to fall into. Every so often I look at my stuff, of which like many of us I have too much, and think I ought to try to sell some of it. Problem is I actually like everything I've got, even the superceded stuff has a charm or personal attachment, so it's all still here and likely to remain so.

John.

Hi John

I will not be going down the path of trading my toys. I will be offering the bright green D20 on a long term loan to a layout where it hopefully would fit in if it is any good.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Rather a lot of wheels to redo, if your history of posts is anything to go by - depends what you mean by not your BR Blue stuff.

I came back into the hobby seriously just over twenty years ago, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone EM. Almost all the realism of P4 without the traumas of actually making the thing run. Plus nowadays a lot of aids in terms of RTR track and drop in wheelsets for RTR stock.  However I have a largish and complex layout, operationally complete but not so scenically - it has all been painstakingly ballasted though. Also rather a lot of locos and stock. Plus I'm into my '60's and don't really want to make another fresh start - in 4mm anyway. So I'll live with the compromise, good luck to you if you take the plunge.

John.

No Airfix aircons, no DMUs, no HSTs, no 50s, 47s, 46s, 45s ect. Anyway would want flat bottom for that

Currently looking at 2 Mainline P1 LMS in crimson cream and a tender drive 2P 4-4-0 with running issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Clive,

If it's anything like Ebay the prices are all over the place at the moment. Ebay went through a phase of everything going for silly money (presumably when everyone was at home and not going out), now some things seem to be a real bargain.

Just make sure you don't end up being a model railway trader rather than a modeller, which I suspect is an easy trap to fall into. Every so often I look at my stuff, of which like many of us I have too much, and think I ought to try to sell some of it. Problem is I actually like everything I've got, even the superceded stuff has a charm or personal attachment, so it's all still here and likely to remain so.

John.

Scale length HST stock is currently pricey, some locos are cheap, I look for spares and repair, pickd up LMS 2P for low 20s, currently watching Lima 47s want 3 more, oh and I have bagsied first Lima 47 Laserglaze. And second person to get Mark 2 glazing (going to beta test the two versions).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My long term plan is about 10 DMUs, 10 loco hauled rakes, and then take it from there.

1950s EM long term 5 locos and about 10 coaches and a few wagons.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I think prices on eBay went silly about ten years ago, I don't even watch it now.

I have been a "trader" on eBay as it has been a cost-effective way to acquire a lot of items.  For instance, rather than buy Hornby TTA tanks one at a time on-line or at swapmeets for £3-4 each (plus postage), I bought job lots of wagons that included one or two, usually worth bidding if I wanted at least 25% of the lot.  After a few successful wins, I had all the wagons I wanted and I was able to sell job lots of particular wagons I didn't want.  With detailed descriptions I usually made back nearly everything I spent so the TTAs were either free or worked out at about £2 each.  

Yes I still have a lot of items (far too much) that need some repairs before selling but it's actually cost me almost nothing.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Sounds good, any pics yet, do you have a thread?

Pics will appear in the The Eagle has Landed shortly - I haven't posted any yet, as even I have limits as to how many apparently identical pictures of 'progress' I can tolerate.

End of tomorrow should see the lower level somewhat complete, so pics will appear.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Update,

The other day I hid in the train room Mrs M. seemed upset about something. While I was in there I made a Ratio LMS van kit, sightly modified. It is modelled as it would have been running in later life, no roof vents, vacuum brake and additional strapping. Another van for the "Perishables" train.

a002.jpg.6fb7d3670bf8117dd5b2747a5013a444.jpg

I done a video, badly, tonight. Waiting it to upload, so here is a picture of one of the trains....well both as the other one can just be seen behind it.

a003.jpg.01ef56c0f44e9f7ad03b6bc260d815a5.jpg

• Like 11

Really enjoyed your 7+ minute video, Clive.

Interesting when you think about it, Peco track, RTR rolling stock (I know you have a lot of scratch/ modified as well) and not DCC, and it runs PERFECTLY without a murmur throughout.

The Ratio goods van has turned out well, one of the very first wagon kits I ever built, the next one in the cupboard will get diagonal strapping on the strength of this.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I will be giving an update later if I remember

here is a lovely song while you wait.

An 8 string guitar! Haven’t seen one of those before. Very interesting  ( but not as interesting as a picture Ive just bought of an N7 at Ackney Downs).  Nice sound though. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jazzer said:

An 8 string guitar! Haven’t seen one of those before. Very interesting  ( but not as interesting as a picture Ive just bought of an N7 at Ackney Downs).  Nice sound though. 

Hi Jazzer,

It is a Octave Mandolin, I know in this song she is strumming it but normally she picks it (I think that is the correct Bluegrass expression).

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, jazzer said:

54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer,

It is a Octave Mandolin, I know in this song she is strumming it but normally she picks it (I think that is the correct Bluegrass expression).

Call me OLD if you like,:nono: but I never noticed it was 8 strings, haha, give me just 4 any day, life is much simpler that way.:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1