Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi Clive, another great video to cheer us all up. I particularly like the 2 82'ers on the way to the seaside, no doubt with good folk from Essex at a weekend.

Just to be clear, one of the things that grates with me a bit at times on RMweb are the brigade who think that track must be hand made, stock must be kit or scratchbuilt and even that the whole thing requires tech with not less than the computing power available to NASA, otherwise the poor peasant involved isn't a player. What you proved in the first video was that skilled use of what can be bought can provide a very effective and well running system, we've all seen plenty of layouts with Peco track badly laid that has derailments every few moments. The fact that you've made far more stuff than most of us ever will just adds to that.

john.

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Clive, another great video to cheer us all up. I particularly like the 2 82'ers on the way to the seaside, no doubt with good folk from Essex at a weekend.

Just to be clear, one of the things that grates with me a bit at times on RMweb are the brigade who think that track must be hand made, stock must be kit or scratchbuilt and even that the whole thing requires tech with not less than the computing power available to NASA, otherwise the poor peasant involved isn't a player. What you proved in the first video was that skilled use of what can be bought can provide a very effective and well running system, we've all seen plenty of layouts with Peco track badly laid that has derailments every few moments. The fact that you've made far more stuff than most of us ever will just adds to that.

john.

Creep!

Mike.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

john.

Likewise. Sadly there are quality divisions in modelling just like in sport. Unfortunately, and in many cases not even intentionally, those who are very good at it forget that for every extremely talented individual there are far more lower level bodgers. My quality standard currently is less than it was a few years ago through lack of practice, but I enjoy what I do even if the end result is not what I hoped for when I began the build. Conversely I have done more DIY in the last couple of years than previously and that is improving as a consequence.

Edited by john new
Better grammar update.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Creep!

Mike.

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

You wouldn't say that if you knew me, just ask some of our neighbours!

John.

Gentlemen please.

When this COVID 19 is under control you are both invited to come and play with the train set. It ain't anything special.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

john.

Thank you John,

I know the gang you are on about and which threads they lurk. It is a fun hobby so if people are enjoying it then where on the spectrum they lie doesn't matter to me. Those not having fun or tell others what is good or bad can go and do knitting as far as I am concerned. Worse are those who say this is the only way you can be a proper modeller, stuff you matey, there are more ways than one to peel an orange. Skinning cats is not a recommended past time any more, I understand some people get upset.

I will be honest and say there are layouts, and models that I don't take to, but if those who are involved with them are happy my opinion doesn't matter.

Just like not everyone has the same wonderful taste in music as I do :rtfm:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thank you John,

I know the gang you are on about and which threads they lurk. It is a fun hobby so if people are enjoying it then where on the spectrum they lie doesn't matter to me. Those not having fun or tell others what is good or bad can go and do knitting as far as I am concerned. Worse are those who say this is the only way you can be a proper modeller, stuff you matey, there are more ways than one to peel and orange. Skinning cats is not a recommended past time any more, I understand some people get upset.

I will be honest and say there are layouts, and models that I don't take to, but if those who are involved with them are happy my opinion doesn't matter.

Just like not everyone has the same wonderful taste in music as I do :rtfm:

You tend to visit similar threads to me.

I haven't seen any nastiness, but I have seen lots of people being encouraged to have a go.

But everyone does say you need to do SOME modelling to be a railway modeller.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

john.

Actually, Clive appears to have all these skills in abundance, he just chooses not to make a big thing of it and continues to model in what I could only describe as a 60s modeller style - your layout around the room and anything you cannot buy rtr is scratch made using components you can get his hands on.  Isn't that how the Buckingham got built albeit he did go one step further and did the track too plus a robotic version of his son to help run it.

I think Clive had an admirer of his early layouts who ended up working at Heljan, because a lot of these plasticard built diesels we see pounding around Sheffield ended up as the staples of Heljan's odd ball diesel revolution a few years back.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MJI said:

You tend to visit similar threads to me.

I haven't seen any nastiness, but I have seen lots of people being encouraged to have a go.

But everyone does say you need to do SOME modelling to be a railway modeller.

Hi Martin

Very true many do encourage others to have ago.

One person who does have ago and whose modelling and layout threads I enjoy is John of Benton Sidings, this link is to what he wrote in May. They are among us.

As much as I like making things I cannot agree that those who don't are not railway modellers. A model is a representation of something. When I was in the army and the commander was explaining what our next operation would be the light coloured stones would be our forces and the dark ones the enemy, they were models. So the bloke who places his circle of track on the floor and has his 3 car HST thundering around is recreating the GWR line from Paddington to Penzance  as much as Sainty's Mid Cornwall Lines layout. I know which one I would like to see for real but I will not dismiss the guy enjoying his 3 car HST.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gentlemen please.

When this COVID 19 is under control you are both invited to come and play with the train set.

It ain't anything special.

IT IS,:o

Don't be fooled Guys, The Control Panel alone will not only have you scratching your heads but other parts as well.

It runs like a Train Set should, i.e. all good apart from the occasional operator C/UP.

And the humor is continuous.

If you survive the Dogs, then you'll be fine. 

You will need to wear Sun Glasses because of all the bright colours that flash before your eyes from cut and shuts.

All in all, just like a great day out at a Theme Park.:sarcastic::good:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martin

Very true many do encourage others to have ago.

One person who does have ago and whose modelling and layout threads I enjoy is John of Benton Sidings, this link is to what he wrote in May. They are among us.

As much as I like making things I cannot agree that those who don't are not railway modellers. A model is a representation of something. When I was in the army and the commander was explaining what our next operation would be the light coloured stones would be our forces and the dark ones the enemy, they were models. So the bloke who places his circle of track on the floor and has his 3 car HST thundering around is recreating the GWR line from Paddington to Penzance  as much as Sainty's Mid Cornwall Lines layout. I know which one I would like to see for real but I will not dismiss the guy enjoying his 3 car HST.

I saw the chap mentioning pms telling him to give up. But lots of advice from top class modellers.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

IT IS,:o

Don't be fooled Guys, The Control Panel alone will not only have you scratching your heads but other parts as well.

It runs like a Train Set should, i.e. all good apart from the occasional operator C/UP.

And the humor is continuous.

If you survive the Dogs, then you'll be fine. 

You will need to wear Sun Glasses because of all the bright colours that flash before your eyes from cut and shuts.

All in all, just like a great day out at a Theme Park.:sarcastic::good:

Hi Andy,

All Clive needs to do is get himself off to Halfords and by a can or seventeen* of under coat or should you wish to be generous, "Photographic Grey", it seems to have worked for me so far.

*Prodigious numbers of cut and shuts.

1568922625_DSCF10881.JPG.756a42970f4fa9519321962df745c665.JPG

Mk2a FK and PDVT

Gibbo.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

BTW fantastic cat, does it sharpen pencils with it's 'arris?

Cheers

Hi Tim,

The fantastic cat is indeed a pencil sharpener and many years ago it used to meow when said writing implement was inserted, unfortunately the battery must be flat from many years of feline abuse !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just did some digging through the threads you mentioned Clive, superb work from both.

These people who PM a complete stranger to tell them the output of their hobby is inadequate........ what planet are they from?

On another front, please add me to the list of those voting for Halfords Primer for some sort of award.  I recently sprayed some Airfix aircraft with a can that must be over 25 years old and it still came out well.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Just did some digging through the threads you mentioned Clive, superb work from both.

These people who PM a complete stranger to tell them the output of their hobby is inadequate........ what planet are they from?

On another front, please add me to the list of those voting for Halfords Primer for some sort of award.  I recently sprayed some Airfix aircraft with a can that must be over 25 years old and it still came out well.

Hi Northmoor,

I would suggest Planet RUDE !!!

I feel the worst is that very often those that are so damned rude do not in all cases take into account the age of those that are not very good and may actually be insulting children, young people in their teens or just as bad those that struggle with physical problems.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I saw the chap mentioning pms telling him to give up. But lots of advice from top class modellers.

58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

These people who PM a complete stranger to tell them the output of their hobby is inadequate........ what planet are they from ?

46 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Northmoor,

I would suggest Planet RUDE !!!

I feel the worst is that very often those that are so damned rude do not in all cases take into account the age of those that are not very good and may actually be insulting children, young people in their teens or just as bad those that struggle with physical problems.

Gibbo.

Over the years I've received similar PM's from members who take it upon themselves to give 'advice and opinion'. 

The classic was one who suggested I was suffering from S.A.D ( Seasonal Affective Disorder ).........That went down very well I can tell you. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Over the years I've received similar PM's from members who take it upon themselves to give 'advice and opinion'. 

The classic was one who suggested I was suffering from S.A.D ( Seasonal Affective Disorder ).........That went down very well I can tell you. 

Rob. 

Ah but Rob ewe use them tension lock couplings invented by Satan himself ....or was it Santa. Well both wear red and I do get confused. :dontknow:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The above video is two minutes long. The running lines are just under a scale mile long.  D375, the homemade loco did two circuits so was travelling  a scale 65 to 70 mph. The other one D209 must have been knocking up 75 to 80 as it seemed to be going a little faster.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2