Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Also New Today...

Despite the heat (32C, or a smidge under 90 in old money, much hotter than that in the shed) and a quite dreadful attack of Le Chien Noir

20200811_163305.jpg.8bee9b2c57d9707aac76f889c6d4095b.jpg

A tantalising glimpse of progress on The Big Rebuild... head of steel is complete all the way to the station throat on the top deck, and I successfully ran a test train on the lower deck to test the automatic reversing loop worked.  It did, faultlessly.  Large cheers to Coastal DCC who supplied a Digitrax AR1 in less than 24 hours from ordering to installing.  Watching a sound equipped loco traverse a return loop with no hesitation, and no button poking or switch nurdling was a joy.  

Here's the magic box.

20200812_151636.jpg.d35ecb7ba5df0b9de136a5c4b3a492fd.jpg

and here's the test train sitting on the 1 in 50 grade just where the power district currently ends. 

20200812_151100.jpg.78ca53c9af4daf704ab7fad8ad8133aa.jpg

Lots to do - tomorrow I shall be setting out the upper deck with the Big Terminus.  Lots of sawing and Peco point bending involved...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Oh how you English make me larf!!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Not half as funny as engineers like me, 305.15K.

Do it properly or get laughed at, either way I win !

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Also New Today...

Despite the heat (32C, or a smidge under 90 in old money, much hotter than that in the shed) and a quite dreadful attack of Le Chien Noir

A tantalising glimpse of progress on The Big Rebuild... head of steel is complete all the way to the station throat on the top deck, and I successfully ran a test train on the lower deck to test the automatic reversing loop worked.  It did, faultlessly.  Large cheers to Coastal DCC who supplied a Digitrax AR1 in less than 24 hours from ordering to installing.  Watching a sound equipped loco traverse a return loop with no hesitation, and no button poking or switch nurdling was a joy.  

and here's the test train sitting on the 1 in 50 grade just where the power district currently ends. 

20200812_151100.jpg.78ca53c9af4daf704ab7fad8ad8133aa.jpg

Lots to do - tomorrow I shall be setting out the upper deck with the Big Terminus.  Lots of sawing and Peco point bending involved...

Hi Doc

Good on ya, getting some modelling done, yes getting the railway working is modelling.

One question the the last wagon in the train is that your Bell end?

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It wasn't my joke. Mr Dagworth done the same thing on a recent operating session, placed a Bell container on the last freightliner wagon.

When I were nobbut a lad at Derby Carriage Works, they were building Bell containers (and ships' anchors, too). As trainees were were each obliged to go inside one which would then be closed up so that "you can make sure it's airtight by checking no light gets in". Of course, we were stuck there for about an hour while everyone else went off for their snap.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

When I were nobbut a lad at Derby Carriage Works, they were building Bell containers (and ships' anchors, too). As trainees were were each obliged to go inside one which would then be closed up so that "you can make sure it's airtight by checking no light gets in". Of course, we were stuck there for about an hour while everyone else went off for their snap.

Who let him out of the box?

Yesterday saw the delivery of some stuff I won on the Vectis auction. I won four lots, every other time I have been on there I have won nothing. "Ouch" went my credit card. :secret:

The first two lots were for Mk1 coaches, a few Lima but the rest the improved Tri-ang coaches where Hornby gave them a good paint finish, improved roofs, and flush glazing, just over 30 coaches in total. I have some plans. :)

The next lot was two class 110 DMUs. Like a GWR modeller with his Panniers, a 60s model can never have enough DMUs. I am thinking to keep one as a 110 and the other to be modified to another 104. Both seem to run well, I just need to rewheel the trailer cars.;)

The last lot was a right mix, a slightly battered Clan, an almost as battered Caprotti Standard Five and a LNER livery D20.

The Clan, DJH kit, it is missing a few little bits and a smoke deflector with name plate. The ladder on the tender is held in place with blue tack. It runs nicely. :good:

The D20, GEM kit, works lovely. It has some superficial damage. Not sure what to do with it as I have already become fond of it, a bit like the mongrel stray you take in until someone collects it.   :whistle:

The Caprotti Five, DJH kit, has some repairable damage. This is the loco I was most looking forward to getting. It couldn't even pull its tender to start with. I sorted that out and it started to run OK, it is one of those locos that works with the body off but throws a tantrum when fully dressed. I won in the end. I gave it a train to pull, it was not happy. Only white metal locos can pull a full length train so I have been told. And I did tell it that, no it would not listen.  :dontknow:

• Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It wasn't my joke. Mr Dagworth done the same thing on a recent operating session, placed a Bell container on the last freightliner wagon.

I can't take credit for it either, it was @Taigatrommel's idea

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1

36 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Sounds like clive has some more victims for cutting and shutting. 

Hi Simon,

Clive has the same problem I suffer in that the next project is always far more interesting than what I'm already on with, which in turn was more interesting than the one that proceed it also.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Those are some of the best transition curves I have ever seen on a OO layout.

I was once asked, by someone who should have known better, "You model in 00 don't you? Why are you using transition curves?".

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Those are some of the best transition curves I have ever seen on a OO layout.

Thank you, lots more of the layout here at RMweb members day at Ricoh in September 2014 and there is a thread about the layout here rather than detail Clive’s layout thread  

Andi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1