Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2020 at 18:28, Gibbo675 said:

The tightest mainline railway curve in Britain is that of the 17 chain curve at Morpeth on the ECML, in 4mm scale 17 chains works out at 176.69" (14' 9") a considerably greater radius than most toy train sets.

At the risk of "out-pedanting" you, is that the tightest outside of stations?  Bristol Temple Meads and Newcastle Central are two I can think of with sharper curves.  While it's not the ECML any more, I assume the curves outside Selby were also pretty sharp.

On 14/08/2020 at 22:11, Dagworth said:

There’s also very little visible straight track

So just like the real railway then.  No model railway that purports (that's a great word, I should use it more) to represent the real railway, should use a significant amount straight track.  Unless they're modelling somewhere on the SW Main Line between Clapham and Worting Junctions (and there's curves on that too).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

So just like the real railway then.  No model railway that purports (that's a great word, I should use it more) to represent the real railway, should use a significant amount straight track.  Unless they're modelling somewhere on the SW Main Line between Clapham and Worting Junctions (and there's curves on that too).

What about Tonbridge to Ashford, that’s pretty much arrow-straight. (and a b*gg*r in the fog!)

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
Defeat the auto censor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

At the risk of "out-pedanting" you, is that the tightest outside of stations?  Bristol Temple Meads and Newcastle Central are two I can think of with sharper curves.  While it's not the ECML any more, I assume the curves outside Selby were also pretty sharp.

What’s the radius of the curve when you leave Dover Priory and pass the site of the junction that used to serve Western Docks? And then there’s the ridiculous curve on the way to Skegness. 

Andi

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Hi Nothmoor,

Ha ! Ha !      Takes one to know one !!!

You are quite correct although I would qualify that the curves at Morpeth are plain running lines rather than forming the station approaches and associated junctions between other routes as is the case at Bristol and Newcastle.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

What’s the radius of the curve when you leave Dover Priory and pass the site of the junction that used to serve Western Docks? And then there’s the ridiculous curve on the way to Skegness. 

Andi

I'm not sure I'd describe the Skegness branch as "main line".  Perhaps that also exempts the Ely avoiding line.

What radius is the curve from the swing bridge into Norwich station?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The curve at Dover looks around 200yds radius on Google Earth, a fraction over 9 chains. I don’t know if I have a note of the actual in any of my route learning stuff. 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Google Earth’s measuring tool shows that as around 180 yds!

Andi

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

You mean this one, what used to be Firsby junction south curve, which follows the totally unprototypical arrow straight section almost all the way from Boston!

Don't see why it shouldn't count as a main line, regular service throughout the year with HSTs supplementing in summer.

And to make it even more unprototypical the line goes under a bridge as soon as it comes off the curve:sarcastichand:

IMG_20171119_134233806.jpg.a9ad17f9983eb6c19ff006491ccc20d9.jpg

I mean could you find a more unprototypical curve than this:jester:

Screenshot_20200817-084033.png.8ca4172e7ceec41c41d17c312db08c0d.png

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dagworth said:

What about Tonbridge to Ashford, that’s pretty much arrow-straight. (and a b*gg*r in the fog!)

Andi

Lickey Route has many long straights between Cheltenham and Worcester

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I'm not sure I'd describe the Skegness branch as "main line".  Perhaps that also exempts the Ely avoiding line.

It certainly used to be main line, and I think Firsby S curve is double track

• Informative/Useful 1