Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm. Don't forget the definition of a gentleman - someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn't.

I thought being a gentleman was not thinking you are better than others, but being better than your past self. At least that’s how it was explained to eggsy in kings men.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I wish to apologise Clive,  the good/not too bad/ok it stopped raining weather lately has allowed me to apply more than just undercoat. Some of my models have even had yellow ends added. Does this exclude me from the chop/cut and glue club?

Said in jest.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

I wish to apologise Clive,  the good/not too bad/ok it stopped raining weather lately has allowed me to apply more than just undercoat. Some of my models have even had yellow ends added. Does this exclude me from the chop/cut and glue club?

Said in jest.

Hi Cheesy

As far as I am aware there is only one rule regarding building your own models and that is have FUN.

At the moment my latest project isn't behaving as I would like to report and show everyone. I am considering a new hobby, well two one being toy locomotive throwing and the other?  I am in need of a new cardigan this winter these look a good purchase. Wool cannot be that expensive can it?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wool cannot be that expensive can it?

Acrylic yarn tends to be cheaper than wool if your budget is stretched.

And, did you know, yarn can be cut and shut too to give different coloured patches on the garment (usually a scarf for beginners).

:-)

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

As far as I am aware there is only one rule regarding building your own models and that is have FUN.

At the moment my latest project isn't behaving as I would like to report and show everyone. I am considering a new hobby, well two one being toy locomotive throwing and the other?  I am in need of a new cardigan this winter these look a good purchase. Wool cannot be that expensive can it?

I expect Mrs D could find you some spares, she seems to have hundreds!

A

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Acrylic yarn tends to be cheaper than wool if your budget is stretched.

And, did you know, yarn can be cut and shut too to give different coloured patches on the garment (usually a scarf for beginners).

:-)

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Is this the kind of thing you are thinking about ?

http://www.openculture.com/2015/12/instructions-for-knitting-the-iconic-dr-who-scarf.html

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

I've finished plonking plywood, so I had a twiddle with track instead.  I am requesting official membership of the Peco Point Benders and Track Wranglers Association.  I then ran a test train, featuring a big Bell end this time.

20200823_181133.jpg.3be16088f0f19064927800595f7a54db.jpg 

Things went well.  It took 7 and a half minutes to complete a journey from the station round the layout and back to the station.  Not bad for a 14 x 7 shed.  I was wondering what I'd done with a tracksetta curve, but it's ok, the Big GM found it....

20200823_175143.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 11
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've finished plonking plywood, so I had a twiddle with track instead.  I am requesting official membership of the Peco Point Benders and Track Wranglers Association.  I then ran a test train, featuring a big Bell end this time.

20200823_181133.jpg.3be16088f0f19064927800595f7a54db.jpg 

Things went well.  It took 7 and a half minutes to complete a journey from the station round the layout and back to the station.  Not bad for a 14 x 7 shed.  I was wondering what I'd done with a tracksetta curve, but it's ok, the Big GM found it....

20200823_175143.jpg

Well done Doc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2020 at 00:21, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

Hmmm... toy train project throwing a wobbler, new cardigan for the winter ?........you could add a pipe and carpet slippers and delight us all with a video of you doing an impersonation of  Val Dooncan singing The Runaway Train . :)
Just a thought 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Hmmm... toy train project throwing a wobbler, new cardigan for the winter ?........you could add a pipe and carpet slippers and delight us all with a video of you doing an impersonation of  Val Dooncan singing The Runaway Train . :)
Just a thought 

Hi Jazzer

I wanted to get a pipe (already have my slippers), they are almost impossible to get. I was going to have it (unlit) in my mouth, wearing my cardi and slippers while operating my layout at exhibitions. Just like the dads in the old trainset adverts.

As for singing, if I could have sung or played a musical instrument I would have been in a punk band when younger, sadly for me I cannot. The rest of you can all do a sigh of relief that I know my limitations. 

My sister once said of my musical vocal abilities "That I hit the right note sometimes...................by accident". 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of starting WW3, I always thought it was a prerequisite to play in a punk band that you could not play a musical instrument or sing.

(Have now retired to my bunker and will disconnect the computer.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I wanted to get a pipe (already have my slippers), they are almost impossible to get. I was going to have it (unlit) in my mouth, wearing my cardi and slippers while operating my layout at exhibitions. Just like the dads in the old trainset adverts.

What’s that you say young man??? 

3640C484-70A7-4966-8E3B-E90A485A8B7B.jpeg.3165100fff4bfcb2fcc0a8d779a359c0.jpeg

Andi

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Bogie said:

At the risk of starting WW3, I always thought it was a prerequisite to play in a punk band that you could not play a musical instrument or sing.

(Have now retired to my bunker and will disconnect the computer.)

Not so Mr Bogie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Look what that old Goth with his pipe has made me do...

Pastor Skull, the Devil's friend,

He's gonna get you in the end!

I met the actual Pastor Skull a couple of times when I was a teenager, he was pastor of a church in Suffolk, I can't remember exactly but I think possibly Glemsford. Darren Tansley joined Blyth on keyboards for a while and had grown up in the area where Skull was a minister. The little rhyme above was something  Darren told me many years ago that they used to say when they were young.

Oh and this is the sorry tale related in the song... http://www.essexviews.uk/photos/Essex Churches/Essex Churches U-Z/slides/Wormingford-Church-Essex-2.html

I'm going to have to dig the album out now!

Andi 

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Pastor Skull, the Devil's friend,

He's gonna get you in the end!

I met the actual Pastor Skull a couple of times when I was a teenager, he was pastor of a church in Suffolk, I can't remember exactly but I think possibly Glemsford. Darren Tansley joined Blyth on keyboards for a while and had grown up in the area where Skull was a minister. The little rhyme above was something  Darren told me many years ago that they used to say when they were young.

Oh and this is the sorry tale related in the song... http://www.essexviews.uk/photos/Essex Churches/Essex Churches U-Z/slides/Wormingford-Church-Essex-2.html

I'm going to have to dig the album out now!

Andi 

Hi Andi

Love the description of the photo you liked to.

The villagers were terrified at the new arrival and a rumour spread among them that it could only be pacified with human sacrifice and so long as the supply lasted they fed the creature with virgins to keep it happy. However, even in those days, Essex virgins were an extremely rare find and so the supply of food gave out.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Look what that old Goth with his pipe has made me do...

Remember I joined a Punk Band at Burton on Trent, they were fairly good, but they didn't want to play in public, just use the Studio. It was fun for a few weeks, but not really my scene, even though I found the music easy to play, no structure, to the songs and if you played the wrong notes, no one would notice.

All great fun, and another new experience.:good:

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer

As for singing, if I could have sung or played a musical instrument I would have been in a punk band when younger, sadly for me I cannot. The rest of you can all do a sigh of relief that I know my limitations. 

My sister once said of my musical vocal abilities "That I hit the right note sometimes...................by accident". 

Hi Clive,

The Dads on the old train set adverts ! That’s a memory to conjure with.  The thing that intrigued me was that they were always wearing a tie, even sitting indoors by the fireside in their cardi and slippers.

It would be great dressed like that at an exhibition. To make it even more realistic you could even have Mrs M. sweeping gracefully in with a big smile on her face, carrying a tray with a couple of mugs of steaming cocoa .

:)

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3