Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Lots still to do... trackbed, finish tracklaying, wiring, bodge a Dapol turntable, decide on wire in tube or proper electric point motors, platforms, overall roof....

Has it got a name yet?

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Typing on phone is stupid

Almost as stupid as talking to a computer.

Oh, wait...

Zoom!!!!!

• Funny 5

12 hours ago, jazzer said:

Hi Clive,

The Dads on the old train set adverts ! That’s a memory to conjure with.  The thing that intrigued me was that they were always wearing a tie, even sitting indoors by the fireside in their cardi and slippers.

It would be great dressed like that at an exhibition. To make it even more realistic you could even have Mrs M. sweeping gracefully in with a big smile on her face, carrying a tray with a couple of mugs of steaming cocoa .

:)

Thinking about it, both of my Grandfathers always wore a shirt and tie, well into retirement. No Pipe smoking though.  When I asked one of them why he was wearing a Shirt and Tie each day, he recalled that in the war he could only afford to buy the collar and cuffs that were available for a night out, when not on Army duties!

His parting comment was you’ve no idea how nice it is to wear a complete shirt!!!!!

Paul

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Thinking about it, both of my Grandfathers always wore a shirt and tie, well into retirement. No Pipe smoking though.  When I asked one of them why he was wearing a Shirt and Tie each day, he recalled that in the war he could only afford to buy the collar and cuffs that were available for a night out, when not on Army duties!

His parting comment was you’ve no idea how nice it is to wear a complete shirt!!!!!

Paul

Hi Paul

My dad wouldn't be seen out without a tie on. I can still here my mum saying "Doug, it is too hot to be going out with a tie and jacket on", as he went 300 yards down the road to buy a paper (OK it was the Sun) and my mum's fags.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

My paternal grandfather had his own business as a bespoke tailor (he made Army Officers uniforns during WW1 ) and as befitted the quality of the suits he produced he always wore a shirt with detachable wing collar even after retirement

I always wore a tie at work, it was a "dress code" for all male Staff members.

I recall one of the draughtsmen (in the late 1990s ) removing his tie during a very hot summer. He was called to a senior manager's office and reminded of the "dress code"and threatened with suspension If he didn't comply. Despite pointing out that the females throughout the offices were all wearing very light summery frocks. and, as he heatedly ( ! ) noted , that the ( female ) personnel manager was on that day wearing a blouse "resembling a vest",  he was told to get back to work and wear a tie.  

Edited by DonB
punctuation
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

I have to add another comment about Shirts and Ties, but it actually relates to myself.  In the whole of my working career, I’ve worn a shirt and tie.  In fact I insist on wearing a shirt and tie, (Company Issue), even when I’m wearing my best Orange suit when trackside on ECML.  It is incredible the effect it has on staff, and public alike, when they see you wearing a shirt and tie under the PPE.  Once a Company Director noticed this and commented.  My reply was that it looked better than a Polo Shirt.

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

32 minutes ago, DonB said:

My paternal grandfather had his own business as a bespoke tailor (he made Army Officers uniforns during WW1 ) and as befitted the quality of the suits he produced he always wore a shirt with detachable wing collar even after retirement

I recall one of the draughtsmen (in the late 1990s ) removing his tie during a very hot summer. He was called to a senior manager's office and reminded of the "dress code"and threatened with suspension If he didn't comply. Despite pointing out that the females throughout the offices were all wearing very light summery frocks. and, as he heatedly ( ! ) noted , that the ( female ) personnel manager was on that day wearing a blouse "resembling a vest",  he was told to get back to work and wear a tie.  

Hi Don,

Isn't it great to hear stories about sexual equality working for the benefit of all involved, absolutely heart warming.

I see the tie as the noose of corporate slavery around ones neck, but hey, that's just me and my funny ideas !!!

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I always wear a tie to work even in summer or when I'm in the tropics. Someone asked me why once, to which I replied that if I didn't wear a tie I didn't feel like doing any work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Don,

Isn't it great to hear stories about sexual equality working for the benefit of all involved, absolutely heart warming.

I see the tie as the noose of corporate slavery around ones neck, but hey, that's just me and my funny ideas !!!

Gibbo.

I cannot see the point of a tie as a functional item.

Saying that when I was a RCN representative and went to meetings with the management in my uniform the opposition would look down on me. Going to meetings dressed like my dad with a tie and jacket I was on a level playing field. The UNISON chap was a bit put out as he was supposed to be our joint lead representative. One of the Midwives did point out that turning up in jeans and a tee shirt might not be the thing to do. So he started to turn up in jacket and tie, the tone of the meetings became different with more respect from the management.

Strange world we live in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I always wear a tie to work even in summer or when I'm in the tropics. Someone asked me why once, to which I replied that if I didn't wear a tie I didn't feel like doing any work.

Hi Enodoc,

What about when using a lathe ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I cannot see the point of a tie as a functional item.

Saying that when I was a RCN representative and went to meetings with the management in my uniform the opposition would look down on me. Going to meetings dressed like my dad with a tie and jacket I was on a level playing field. The UNISON chap was a bit put out as he was supposed to be our joint lead representative. One of the Midwives did point out that turning up in jeans and a tee shirt might not be the thing to do. So he started to turn up in jacket and tie, the tone of the meetings became different with more respect from the management.

Strange world we live in.

Hi Clive,

It is indeed a strange world we live in.

I have done the opposite to wearing a suit and tie, for once, when working at an engineering consultancy I turned up to a railway workshop shop floor in my overalls and external steel toecaps (remember them ?) rather than my usual shiny new vis-vest over a suit and used the phrase, "Get out of the way and I'll happily shew you how it's done ! ".

I was no longer one of the pen pushing pillock from upstairs.

The class system is very much alive and well and ingrained in such ways that most folk don't realise it efects them so deeply.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My Grandad who i mention a lot on here always wore a collar and tie even in retirement. He was an engineer and iron founder. When i was little and went to the foundry to see him he was usually wearing a sports jacket too. There were always a pencil a pen and a mains test screwdriver in his breast pocket.

I can also remember my Gran having to scrub at his shirt collars with Fairy household soap bars snd a brush.

Yes he smoked a pipe till i was around 11.

Thank you guys for stirring some lovely childhood memories 

Simon

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

I have a question? I have been building a 105, and thinking do I chop a centre coach to go with it? What was the date for a 105 centre cars being withdrawn? I have a date around 1970 in the backlog my head.

So, do I do it or not?

Hi Dave,

Here is your answer, "Most of the centre cars were withdrawn from Etches Park in 1969, one having went in 1968 and the last two in 1970."

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-105/operations-batch-two

Make sure you have the correct route indicator and guards door arrangement for batch two:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-105/variations

Individual service records and set consists for trailer cars 59307/25:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/?number=59307

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2020 at 12:21, cheesysmith said:

Does anyone know the correct buffer size for the short 57` DMUs? IIRC the long ones were about 22-24" (when not clipped or oval) but did the short ones have smaller?

Hi Cheesy

They did have smaller buffers. Lancashire Lanarkshire Model Supplies do some,

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_121.htm

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_165.htm

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_166.htm

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've been listening to live stream busking from Portobello courtesy of Deek Jackson.

He has a particularly "niche" YouTube channel:

Gibbo.

Hi there,

I hope he's wearing his thermals as that looks like a summer's day there on the banks of the Forth.

Regards,

Alex.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2020 at 11:56, DonB said:

I recall one of the draughtsmen (in the late 1990s ) removing his tie during a very hot summer. He was called to a senior manager's office and reminded of the "dress code"and threatened with suspension If he didn't comply.

Back in 1976 my assistant in the Drawing Office took off his tie on one particularly hot day. He was given a lecture by the boss on wearing a tie as part of the office code. When the boss returned from lunch he was greeted by the sight of said young lad wearing a tie but no shirt. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 6
  • Funny 5