Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

I am dreaming or was there such a thing as a BFK?

There was one in use on the north Wales coast back in the days of 37 haulage, mk2 admittedly, but normals weren't allowed to use it. Merely there to provide guards accommodation, in the same way an inter city livery BG was used for a while.

Do I recall correctly that more recently one was in use on the Norwich-Yarmouth-Lowestoft 37 hauled trains as well? Now belonging to DRS.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I always get very inspired when I see your coaching chops Clive... but then I can never find any Hornby/triang mk1s at the right price at the time to indulge being creative! I guess there's not much chopping involved making a couple of 309 units anyway?

Excellent work bud.... bright pink containers and a 66 next? ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ray H said:

I am dreaming or was there such a thing as a BFK?

Hi Ray

There was, my one is in a six coach train that is a BSK/SK/SK/SK/CK/BFK, still giving the nearly same accommodation as a BSK/SK/CK/CK/SK/BSK train, 6 more 2nd class seats. 

100_5866a.jpg.ba233aa652623ae01274e66ee1ae04ac.jpg

Compartment side

100_5857a.jpg.e92c63d3aa687bf791cd7932066f2f7d.jpg

Corridor side.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ray

There was, my one is in a six coach train that is a BSK/SK/SK/SK/CK/BFK, still giving the nearly same accommodation as a BSK/SK/CK/CK/SK/BSK train, 6 more 2nd class seats. 

100_5866a.jpg.ba233aa652623ae01274e66ee1ae04ac.jpg

Compartment side

100_5857a.jpg.e92c63d3aa687bf791cd7932066f2f7d.jpg

Corridor side.

Hi Clive,

Just remember Clive, only W14000, W14001 and M14012 were ever mounted upon B4 bogies. Along with the complication that I would have thought that the time period that Sheffield Exchange is set B4 bogies may be a bit previous. 

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Just remember Clive, only W14000, W14001 and M14012 were ever mounted upon B4 bogies. Along with the complication that I would have thought that the time period that Sheffield Exchange is set B4 bogies may be a bit previous. 

Gibbo.

It already has Mk1 bogies under it. At the time of the photo it was on a borrowed chassis from my Swindon Inter City unit, hence the B4 bogies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It already has Mk1 bogies under it. At the time of the photo it was on a borrowed chassis from my Swindon Inter City unit, hence the B4 bogies.

Hi Clive,

Borrowed chassis ?!?!?!

Is this a new dimension in cutting and shutting technology ?

Later builds had commonwealth bogies, although I suspect that you know as much at the very least.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Borrowed chassis ?!?!?!

Is this a new dimension in cutting and shutting technology ?

Later builds had commonwealth bogies, although I suspect that you know as much at the very least.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

No. With all my cutting and shutting I ended up short of a chassis and roof after donating one of the chassis to my first coach in the Hastings unit and a roof to one of the Glasgow unit's coaches, still with enough bits to make the sides for another coach. So while waiting for a Tri-ang Thompson to arrive who's sides were earmarked to make a Thompson SO and its roof and underframe going to the BFK, it borrowed a chassis and roof from  one of the Swindon Inter City coaches. Hence the B4 bogies.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

You and Clive are driving a boom market in old Triang :)

Ironic really, the ebay market for those rather nice (IMHO) Bachmann Mk1's seems to be around £20 a pop, even a bit less, so pretty good value when you look at the tags on new issues.

Still, where would be the fun in that!

John

• Like 3

Hi Folks,

Cut and shut coaches are easy, I sometimes even paint mine.

Here are some cut and shut Roarers:

DSCF1129.JPG.552b8c9aa9e73ce0417a54a122fa623e.JPG

From the back, four 81's, an 82, an 83, two 84's and two 85's. Second generation will be along after I've been further distracted by something else.

Gibbo.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Reshaping plastic card is easier.

1568851763_Picture042b.jpg.3663c0c5a028880440086eb32f860f48.jpg

Tonight's song comes form Aurora,

"When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Reshaping plastic card is easier.

1568851763_Picture042b.jpg.3663c0c5a028880440086eb32f860f48.jpg

Tonight's song comes form Aurora,

"When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb

She looks alarmingly similar to St Greta.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Tonight's picture is rated PG13

Some viewers may find the content distressing.

Contains mild peril, suspect intentions and unwise scale mixing.

20200909_170649.jpg.bd895517201cfabab1538660a0c90cad.jpg

In a fit of silliness I decided to test the track by pushing a rake of assorted green bangers around the layout with a locomotive from an entirely different continent. 

Nothing fell off.

Fun was had.

My inner 12  year old is pleased.

If you have been distressed by any of the issues raised in tonight's post, you can sod off to the GOG thread and clout each other with handbags.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

18 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Tonight's picture is rated PG13

Some viewers may find the content distressing.

Contains mild peril, suspect intentions and unwise scale mixing.

20200909_170649.jpg.bd895517201cfabab1538660a0c90cad.jpg

In a fit of silliness I decided to test the track by pushing a rake of assorted green bangers around the layout with a locomotive from an entirely different continent. 

Nothing fell off.

Fun was had.

My inner 12  year old is pleased.

If you have been distressed by any of the issues raised in tonight's post, you can sod off to the GOG thread and clout each other with handbags.

Hi Dr Fritters,

Good to know you fully understand the power of your egoic field !

From my own point of view I much prefer my thirteen year old self to my twelve year old self. I shall leave it to your imagination to work out why that may be the case.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6